Click Here!

Does anyone speak Dutch?

redsliver

I'm using Babelfish to translate so I'm almost certain there are grammatical errors. I need one of my characters to hear the shouts:

Daar, op het dek! (There, on the deck!)

Er zijn twee van hen! (There are two of them!) An expletive would help with this sentence too.

If anyone can give me a hand it'll be very appreciated.

Yes, I speak Dutch! It's a really ugly language, but I speak it.

Anyways...

"There, on the deck!" is indeed translated into "Daar, op het dek!". Provided we're talking about boats here and not a deck of cards.

"There are two of them!", on the other hand, should probably be translated into "Er zijn er twee van!"

Unfortunately, in the Dutch, this kind of implies there being two things rather than two people. For people, "Er zijn er twee!" would be more appropriate.

As for an expletive. Well, assuming there are two people and whoever yells the phrase isn't happy about it:

"Er zijn er verdomme twee!"

Which very roughly translates into "There are two of them, dammit!"

Also possible would be:

"Er zijn (er) twee van die kankerlijers!"

Which roughly translates into "There are two of those bastards!" (lit: 'sufferers of cancer')

Yes, the Dutch language uses awful diseases as swearwords and insults.

• 3 months later...
I am a native speaker and think it's a gorgeous language, if you need more alternatives for explecitives and more colourful vocab, let me know. cool.gif

I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a native speaker too, but Dutch just isn't very pleasant to the ear. It's a functional language, but not a very poetic one, so to speak. It's very difficult to play with.

On the other hand, the swearing is awesome.

• 4 months later...

I'm just strange in thinking that rougher languages are more pleasing to hear than soft ones. Therefore I like mainland germanic languages over norther germanic, germanic languages over romanic languages, and japanese over chinese.

tongue.gif

Whoops, sorry for off topic. I'm glad you got your question answered. I would definitely not be the one to ask since I'm not a native speaker and still learning.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a native speaker too, but Dutch just isn't very pleasant to the ear. It's a functional language, but not a very poetic one, so to speak. It's very difficult to play with.

On the other hand, the swearing is awesome.

I completely agree laugh.gif

Random list of swear words:

Teringmochool!

Kankerlul!

Klootzak!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
This is a very interesting topic.

I'm a native speaker as well but I really don't like speaking Dutch.

And yes, the swearwords are rediculously funny. The only one I don't like using is 'kanker.'

Dutchie reporting in! And I agree with you. In comparison to English, Dutch suddenly becomes so... blunt. Not at all fancy.

And that is the one word I avoid using at all times. Everything else is fine, especially in a full chain of curses after hitting my foot or something of the sorts. "Tering tyfus graf klote krijg de fucking pleuris van een paardelul."

Yup, the swearing is fantastic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.