Click Here!

Yikes! Glad I'm not a spider!

NightScribe

I agree with Agaib. The picture that comes to mind is this scientist quietly sitting, watching this arachnid copulatory act, and then killing the female in order to dissect it to see if she ripped him off at both ends, because it sure as hell looks that way...

They get paid to do this? And this will benefit mankind how?

I love spiders and I still love them even now.

It is just nature at the end of the day; every species does what it can to survives; and I hardly blame the male.

Besides, it's probably a kindness on the males part to other males...

Kinda like...

"Hey, guys you don't really want to share my fate you know!"

I don't know about other countries, but the good 'ole U.S. of A. gives out government grants for the stupidest research. Testing the flow rate of ketchup? (swear to God, that's a real one). I want money to determine how the molecular structure of take-out pizza changes when you a.) eat it cold the next day and b.) re-heat left-overs the next day. 'Cause the taste changes. Can I have $575,000.00 to research that?

Guest Agaib

lol the molecular structure of take out pizza probably changes very little except for a reduced level of atomic motion from the loss of energy. You don't need $575,000 dollars to show that. I'm sure this researcher got a grant to study the mating behavior of arachnids when he made this discovery.

But still...

I really don't think that it should make national news... rolleyes.gif

whistle.gif The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout, down came the rain and washed the spider out, out came the sun and dried up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider went up the drain again.

On a side-note of love and breeding in general:

Helping legless panda improve its sex life

Guest Yhitzak

Evolutionarily speaking, this is fascinating! What a brilliant measure for ensuring the perpetuation of one's genes. Learn something new every day.

In all honesty, I see this study as having far more useful results than, say, the studies currently being conducted to isolate the thing in onions that makes you cry when you cut them. This study could (stress the word, could) have far-reaching results if one takes into consideration the behaviour patterns surrounding coitus. Or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Ouch! Okay - I knew about black widdows eating their mates but carying around a biological dildo for a while is enough to make my skin crawl.

Well - maybe she just walks around with a big smile on her face for a few days and a really nice feeling in her neither regions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.