Click Here!

HP Fangirls and Fanboys

EveKnight75

I've just come over from the In-a-Box thread and this seems like a good question.

Which character brings out the fanboy or fangirl in you? It can be either the book version or the movie version (including the actor). Which character makes you drool or squee? Which character brings out the romantic in you or makes you horny? And to stick with the topic description, which character do you find attractive because s/he appeals to your mind?

Obviously, we have an entire cult devoted to Rickman and Snape here. Snape is one of my favorite characters in the series because he's one of the few who's 3-dimensional. Rickman managed to do an amazing job portraying Snape. It's hard to properly communicate all of Snape's complexities, but Rickman does so beautifully, even if he's slightly too attractive for the part.

At first, I drooled over Tom Felton for a bit. He was such a cute kid and anyone who sees the appeal in playing the bad guy but is nice in real life can catch my interest. I also like the way Draco is developing in the later books. He's becoming more complex and believable.

I'm not attracted to Jason Isaacs physically, but I like his eyes, his personality, and his talent. He loves to play the bad guy, but he also enjoys working with kids and teens and seems like a genuinely nice guy. He's proved this both in HP and Peter Pan. Can't say I see the appeal in Lucius Malfoy. He's a bit too typical as far as bad guys go.

I like Remus Lupin. Werewolves aren't one of my favorite mythical creatures, but the quiet strength of Remus' character resonates with me. He manages to expose discrimination in a new light, and he's patient, understanding, and sweet despite the shit he's had to deal with his entire life. The movie version of him also manages to bring out this fun side of him in the classes that I don't really identify with in the books. I don't drool or squee over him, but he never fails to bring out the romantic in me.

Because I'm one of the young-uns here, I'll stray towards the younger cast. Daniel Radcliffe never did it for me, but that may change with Equus. I've never really liked Harry's character that much because he's a bit too Stu-ish for my tastes.

I drooled over Rupert Grint in the second movie. He really filled out nicely, his eyes are the loveliest shade of blue, and that deep bass did me in. I like his sense of loyalty and humor. Ron Weasley can be infuriating at times, but I can easily see why someone like Hermione would be attracted to him.

I've always liked Voldemort's character. But then again, I like bad guys. He's just as clichéd as Harry, but he's intelligent and worked hard to earn every bit of his power and he has good reason to hate the world. Teen Voldemort in the movie only made it worse in both a good and bad way. (Good in that he's hot enough to cement my attraction, bad in that he spawns too much badfic due to his looks).

Neville Longbottom has been one of my favorite characters from the start and will likely remain so. He starts out as this bumbly, awkward, chubby kid. Slowly, his appealing qualities start to show. He's proven that he knows the true meaning of friendship. He keeps growing braver and more skilled, but it takes a lot of practice and self-examination. He does have a haunted past, same as Harry, but he doesn't let it define or control him or call attention to it, which makes all the difference for me. His life sucks but he manages to come out on top and remain sweet, loyal, and honest while maintaining this quiet strength which people don't see easily because he doesn't see it in himself.

It would have been so easy to turn him into a major tragic figure, but it doesn't happen. He avoids Stu-dom somehow, not an easy feat. He's got a tragic past and he sees evil everyday. Yet he's still innocent without having this annoying naïveté or hero-complex or combination of both that is so irritatingly present in Harry Potter and Superman. Later, he manages to avoid falling into a pathetic wannabe side-kick or overbearing fan role.

Then we have Matthew Lewis, the guy who plays Neville. He starts off looking the part, with the chubbiness and the dopey expression. Then the fourth movie came along. He loses a lot of weight, he's tall, and he has broad shoulders. He's got muscles, but they're not overly defined, so he still doesn't look like a warrior. He also loses the dopey expression but retains an innocent expression.

So basically, he appeals to the romantic side of me and he turns me on. He also has a much smaller fanbrat following, so it's easier to avoid badfics (the first steady flow of badfic came after GoF, because I'm not the only one who noticed how good he looked)

Judging from the amount I've written about Neville, I can safely conclude that he's my favorite male character in HP, and having him become a strong warrior or kill Bellatrix isn't going to change that for me because I feel that he'll always retain the intrinsic good, the quiet strength, and the ability to not draw the limelight for too long, no matter what. Besides, there'll be actual explainable character development drawn over a sufficient time frame present either way.

In another post, I'll go over some of my favorite female characters.

I am totally for the Slytherin boys and men.

1 - Severus Snape - I know exactly what it's like to go through daily humiliation both at school and at home; I had prats like the Marauders (and I'm including Lupin in that; it angers me that he LET the other two do what they did and didn't speak against it even though he knew he should... so can't forgive Lupin for that EVER!) I feel sorry for Severus and I relate to him quite a bit... I understand the pain and suffering he must have gone through; I still can't think I'm beautiful or pretty because of bullying not just in school but out of school as well... bullying almost made me commit suicide once. There is also that air of redemption about him. Oh and Alan Rickman plays him.

2 - Lucius Malfoy - I love him because he is proud of what he is and he doesn't compromise and is prepared to die for his beliefs. I have beliefs that I'm prepared to die for and not compromise on so I can understand that. I also find him physically attractive even though I normally don't go for blond hair and blue eyes as a combination. I also like him because he has some of the best lines in the books and the fact that when he comes on the page I sit up and take notice; and did do before Jason Isaacs took the part. Also my Lucius/Hermione fics seems to get the better reviews...

3 - Draco Malfoy - I hated him in the books and you could say it was because I liked Tom Feltons performance but ever since HBP I have grown to like and respect Draco Malfoy as a character; when he kicked Harry... served Harry right, he shouldn't have been there in the first place. He was spending an entire year on a plan which had replaced Quidditch as the most important thing in life; Harry hadn't had a plan and still thinks Quidditch is the most important thing in life; and Draco loves his family and will do anything to protect them... same here! And I mean ANYTHING!

4 - Lord Voldemort/Tom Riddle - I personally love this villain. He can't love and I find that fascinating; as I believe even Lucius Malfoy does know that. I think that he's a wonderful character and I am rather jealous. I can't write characters like that I find it well nigh impossible. So my hat goes off to Jo who can. I also think that he could be quite seductive if he wanted to be; as there must be SOME reason why Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy are on the Dark Lords side.

I will think of more but those are my favourite characters.

Severus Snape/Alan Rickman. Guilty of the heart/mind/loins thing there. Very guilty... I remember actually squeeing in the theater during Snape's first scene in GOF. Luckily, I contained myself and just sort of made a squeaking sound and clapped my hands very quietly. Dignified? No. Fan-girl? Most definitely.

Jason Isaacs is a pleasure to watch in other movies, but I've never squeed for him as Lucius Malfoy.

Snape was honestly the only member of the list for a long time, but after seeing the promo pics for Equus, Dan Radcliffe is now the second member of my very short list. I saw those and, yes, I squeed a little.

1 - Severus Snape - I know exactly what it's like to go through daily humiliation both at school and at home; I had prats like the Marauders (and I'm including Lupin in that; it angers me that he LET the other two do what they did and didn't speak against it even though he knew he should... so can't forgive Lupin for that EVER!)  I feel sorry for Severus and I relate to him quite a bit... I understand the pain and suffering he must have gone through; I still can't think I'm beautiful or pretty because of bullying not just in school but out of school as well... bullying almost made me commit suicide once.  There is also that air of redemption about him.  Oh and Alan Rickman plays him.

I know what you mean about the bullying thing. I was teased for a very long time because I have unusual coloring and I was a bit on the chubby side. Things started coming together at 17. The pounds started coming off at the waist and I happen to have a large chest. The very boys who had teased me throughout high school started catcalling at me. I took pleasure in being frigid toward them.

Once I started university, things really started to take a brighter turn. I had a relatively good figure, and my coloring put me in the "exotic" category. There's also a huge difference in that being intelligent is considered attractive in university if not in high school.

I still have self-esteem issues when it comes to looks, but I have friends who remind me of my good qualities and having the few straight guys on campus check me out is a nice boost. In the end, the people who care about you make the difference, and what they say is what truly matters. Screw the bullies because you'll get the last laugh.

Now to get back on topic: Lupus never actively joined in teasing Snape or Peter. I think I'd forgive him for not stopping it. If you think about it, Lupus didn't exactly trust James or Sirius for a long time. If he had, he wouldn't have hid his werewolf status from them for as long as he did. I think that on some level he understood that he'd end up on the receiving end of their taunts if they did find out, and chose to avoid incurring their wrath. The guys didn't find out until later, and by then they didn't tease because they had finally grown up a little. Some friendship that turned out to be. It took a war to cement it.

On that same note, Peter is one of the reasons I admire Neville all the more. Considering the way Peter's "friends" had treated him, is it any wonder he joined the Death Eaters, killed James, then blamed Sirius? I can't say that I blame him - he deserved to get that revenge. Although I can't say whether Lily had deserved it.

If Neville had gone down the same path as Peter and ended up worshipping Harry and deluded himself into thinking that they could be close friends, he would have ended up with extra baggage that he really doesn't need. On the other hand, if he managed to continue developing his skills at the same rate regardless, he could have also ended up like Snape. I've just managed to compare Neville to both a Slytherin and one of Voldemort's higher lackeys in a reasonable manner - I'm not sure how I did that.

3 - Draco Malfoy - when he kicked Harry... served Harry right, he shouldn't have been there in the first place.  He was spending an entire year on a plan which had replaced Quidditch as the most important thing in life; Harry hadn't had a plan and still thinks Quidditch is the most important thing in life;

Speaking of which, that right there is another reason I don't like Harry that much. At first, I was OK with him because he was humble despite being a Stu. As time went on, he became cocky (He hasn't displayed much ability outside of dumb luck and what Tom ended up passing to him), and started to come off as a jerk. His fame and luck are getting to his head, making him more of a Stu. The hero complex is not attractive. I get that his life sucks big time thanks to a stupid prophecy. He's got a right to angst about it. I get that he's under a lot of pressure and that being a teenager is hard. But for the love of Merlin, he needs to get over himself! Others have to suffer just as badly as he does if not worse. The world isn't black-and-white just because Harry thinks so (honestly, I'm even more appalled that Sirius holds the black-and-white view). You'd think that he'd have a little more common sense because of the danger fraught in his life. But nooo....

4 - Lord Voldemort/Tom Riddle - I personally love this villain.  He can't love and I find that fascinating; as I believe even Lucius Malfoy does know that.  I think that he's a wonderful character and I am rather jealous.  I can't write characters like that I find it well nigh impossible.  So my hat goes off to Jo who can.  I also think that he could be quite seductive if he wanted to be; as there must be SOME reason why Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy are on the Dark Lords side.

A villain not being able to love is not a new concept. I've seen it done hundreds of times before. As for seduction - he was a confirmed hottie in school and power is seduction. Bella and Narcissa are both Blacks, so that's part of why they serve him. Sirius is actually an exception to the family rule, which is why he was struck off the tree. I'll talk more about them in my post about female characters because I find them both intriguing.

RANT AND CHARACTER BASHING AHEAD!

When comparing the Dark Lord to Harry, Voldemort and Tom become two separate entities to me. Tom Riddle is the other side of the coin. The similarities between him and Harry are deliberately uncanny. They start off the same way, then diverge because Harry's just plain luckier than Tom. Harry ends up on Dumbledore's good side and in the "popular" house. His reputation precedes him, allowing him to get the best of the wizarding world experience. He doesn't really have to make an effort at anything.

Tom's never had good fortune in his life. He starts out in an orphanage during the Oliver Twist era. He can't get along in the muggle world because he's poor, he's jeered, and he lacks the means to get a decent education. Then he enters the wizarding world, starting out just as hopeful as Harry. The whole thing starts out as a means to escape the horrors inflicted upon them in the muggle world for both of them.

Only, Tom starts off on the other foot. He ends up in Slytherin and he doesn't debate it. (Harry's special - he gets to argue the hat and win rolleyes.gif). Because the headmaster's a Gryffindor and the majority of the staff have issues with Slytherin, he's screwed. Because he's forced to admit that he's not a pureblood, his own house hates him and he's even more screwed.

But that's OK. You know why? Because he's tough and he's smart and he's willing to do whatever it takes to make it. He's dealt with jeering peers and hateful teachers before and he'll do it again. He finally has the means to get a good education to sate his hunger for knowledge and power and damned if he's not going to take advantage of it. He used his brains to their full extent and worked hard at everything he did to get where he is.

What Tom and Harry have in common is their Muggle histories, their determination to win, and an unwillingness to admit to any emotion that weakens themselves or their agendas. They're also both self-centered in their own way. Tom's self-centeredness arose out of a sense of self-preservation, but Harry can't quite lay the same claim in the same way. Harry does need to watch his back, but he's got an army backing him as well. Tom had no one, to the point where he'd have to watch his own back in his sleep because he didn't have a "roomie Ron" or a "ward tied with blood" to protect him.

Voldemort is the result of Tom going over the edge. Tom was someone you could sympathize with, but not Voldemort. Voldemort is too cold to even feel hate unless he's dealing with "Boy Wonder". It's no longer about self-preservation or proving that he could be somebody. It was about taking the ultimate step, getting revenge on everyone that had ever stood in his way. The muggles offered him nothing and beat him down, so now he'll eliminate them. The purebloods were just as bad, but at least he got something out of them. I'd say Voldemort despises his house but respects his ancestor (Salazar might have been the only one to have remotely cared about him). So what does he do? He honors the wishes of Salazar by using the mates of his former house as lackeys. The descendants of those who looked down on him now worship him. In the grand scheme of things, he gets revenge on absolutely everyone in one form or another.

In terms of the great Harry Potter, Tom Riddle is an effective foil but Voldemort is simply the cheesy bad guy. Tom Riddle is the unlucky Harry Potter, but Voldemort is the one who ruined Harry's life for no reason, and keeps trying to kill him simply because he finds Harry annoying. Once you take Harry out of the equation, Tom/Voldemort is a complex character who could stand on his own, but the protagonist prevents the audience from experiencing the full impact of the antagonist.

Come to think of it, I have been working on a really long fic about Tom Riddle's life outside of Harry Potter. I have to turn Voldemort into a clearly separate entity, but it'll be worth it if only because I get to reverse the roles of hero and villain without actually bashing Harry yet getting to vent my frustration. I won't post it until it's done and after the final book is out because I'm trying to avoid a rep as one of those ficcers who always starts a fic but never finishes.

I am totally for the Slytherin boys and men.

I know what you mean. There's just something about a bad boy that is undeniably hot. I don't prefer Slytherin as a rule, but in general, I'd pick them over Gryffindor any day. Gryffindor is portrayed as the best house of all which everyone worships, but the overall attitude shows that they're full of themselves, are condescending towards Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, and downright malicious towards Slytherin. They're not that great. Harry's a great representative for the house despite what the hat thinks. Any Gryffindor who can negate that image effectively is in my good graces. (Yet another reason why I like Neville so much).

Slytherin may be a group of elitists, but they're honest in that they don't try to portray themselves as something they're not simply to satisfy others unless they have an extremely good and valid reason. They are who they are and if you don't like it, that's your problem. It leads to them being misunderstood and having a reputation for being frigid, but why should that present an issue?

Gryffindors are honest, Slytherins are cunning. But if you look beneath the surface, Slytherins are also honest and Gryffindors are also ambitious. They just don't make it obvious for the whole world to see.

I'm not really a "squee-er" more of an interested, lilting, "mmmm-er". Anyway...

Fred & George (in the books mostly, due to limited screen time) appeal to my humorous side. They're fun, puckish, clever, the kind of guys you'd always want to hang out with, knowing there would never be a dull moment, but if things got serious, you'd know they'd have your back. And they'd probably both agree to be your fuck buddy, just for the hell of it.

Remus/Thewlis- Evokes a sense of sympathy and nudges the nurturing tendencies; the pathos of the gentle man, who faces adversity with a quiet dignity.

Snape/Rickman- Snape is a great character and Rickman has played the role with insight and intelligence, lending the character a sexier quality than he should probably have. His voice, his carriage, the nuanced expressions and gestures all work to great advantage and manage to make me purr (but then again, euro-trash Hans Gruber melted my butter too, evil in a well tailored suit can do that). Snape the character is a tantalizing enigma that appeals to me intellectually; I want to peel back the layers of that psyche and seduce his mind.

Lucius/Isaacs- The character tempts my darker, mysterious side. I think Jason Isaacs has done for Lucius what Rickman did for Snape, in much the same way; intelligent interpretation. We really know very little about Lucius, less than Snape in fact. I actually think it was a disservice to expose so much about Voldemort's past. I never found him frightening in the books before, in fact I found him rather silly at times, and HBP just demystified him completely. (Ralph Fiennes, thankfully, brought much needed menace to the character). Anyway, about Lucius; he's wealthy, cultured, confident to the point of overbearing arrogance, and that's about all we know. He's reminiscent of 18th century libertine aristocrats; the public persona so vastly at odds with the dark heart within; which makes for a delicious duality.

Hear, hear!

NightScribe has just helped me figure out why I like movie-Lucius but can't feel anything for book-Lucius. It hadn't occurred to me before that the actors breathed life into the characters in a way the books lacked. The qualities Isaacs breathed into Lucius were just more apparent to me when he played Captain Hook, which is why I was more interested in him as Hook.

Fred and George - all that's true but they just don't float my boat. They're too wholesome for my taste despite the mischief factor. Now, if I managed to create evil but equally loyal versions of them who were willing to double-team anyone and perform with each other ... devil.gifsex.gif

Fred and George - all that's true but they just don't float my boat. They're too wholesome for my taste despite the mischief factor. Now, if I managed to create evil but equally loyal versions of them who were willing to double-team anyone and perform with each other

laugh.gif I think if you first got them drunk enough, then started talking about Umbridge, their evil side would come out. Then, they might be up for anything; including each other! sex.gif

Lucius Malfoy - He's got this evil/british badass/Victorian/thing going for him in the books. Plus I always got the impression he was this powerful dark wizard which is a +Drool factor. Not much to "squee" about actually...

Jason Isaacs - Give him long hair, an evil character in a period set-movie and I'll squee for hours over the man. He's drop dead sexy, but I think its more towards his mannerism and voice that make me squeal :9

Sirius Black - He's drool worthy but not "squee" enough. Maybe "Aww" but nothing too high-pitched.

Remus Lupin - Hawt. But not squee enough. Personally I thought the blonde who was in "Brotherhood of the Wolf" should have played Lupin dry.gif

Fenrir Greyback - LOTS of squealing whenever I see his character in the book. I just hope whomever plays him lives up to his uber-smexy werewolveness:D

All right, I've been tossing this around in my mind a lot, debating if I should throw in, or just ignore it because I'd only be echoing what everyone else has already said. Anyway, I guess that I've decided to add my two cents. laugh.gif

Book characters:

Lupin: Without a doubt. He's kind, intelligent, and loyal. He's also a little wounded, which makes me want to hug him forever, and a little dangerous, which makes me want to do other, naughtier things to him. sex.gif

Snape: Intelligent, complex, dark - what more could a girl ask for?

If I had to pick one of the brat pack it would probably be Ron. I can see him making someone (Hermione?) a good husband.

Movie Characters:

Snape: How can you NOT love Alan Rickman? That voice - OMG! I rest my case. wub.gif

Lucius: Arrogant? Yes. Evil? Definitely. Sexy? Duh. And that pimp cane.... *swoons*

Oddly, Lupin left me a little cold in the movies, despite Thewlis portraying him beautifully.

Too young, but still noteworthy:

Draco: In the same vein (vain?) as his father, there's just something about that disdainfully curled lip that makes my knees go to jello. I don't generally go for blondes, but he's got the right body type: tall and lanky.

Ron: Especially in the latest movie, he's really started to shoot up and fill out nicely. The shoulders hint that he'll eventually end up being a little more solid than I like my men, but right now he's just about perfect.

Fred & George: Fun loving and yummy! Sandwich anyone?

Okay... well, this list is incredibly short. I was with Poly in the Snape and only Snape club for a lo-o-o-ong time. It is connected to my own wub.gif of Alan Rickman. And Poly, don't feel bad. I think my squee may have actually made it out of my mouth during GOF. I'm not proud of that, but it happened, let’s move on.

Now, until... oh... YESTERDAY (!!!), that was it. I had an appreciation of Lucius/Issacs, but there was no squee-ing involved. And then, my brain turned on me. wacko.gif My Slytherin-ness developed a weak spot and I developed a slight squee moment for... gulp a Gryffindor. If any of you have had problems dealing with your own moment of weakness you can join me at S.W.W.G (see my sig for details. Oh and I'm pronouncing it as "Swig" as in... dear god I need a drink! laugh.gif) But yes, it happened. Now, in my own defense, we aren't talking about Harry, or any Weasleys. It does however seem that my slight jock fetish has caught up with me and I have developed a slight Oliver Wood... thing.... Okay fine. So I'd ride him til he screamed sex.gif

Now being that this is a fairly new thing for me, we'll have to see how far it goes... I haven't yet watched the first two movies to see if I will actually have a fan girl moment. But Nan did provide me with a pic that made me sliently squee. I'll keep you all updated. shifty.gif

PS Red's taking bets in the the "I am" thread in the Forum Games. Please don't take full advantage of the poor guy! laugh.gifwink.gif

PPS... can one take a walk on the Light side??

It does however seem that my slight jock fetish has caught up with me and I have developed a slight Oliver Wood... thing.... Okay fine. So I'd ride him til he screamed sex.gif

You're not the only one, I found him (who the hell is that actor anyway? lol) somewhat shaggable a ways back. I worked that into my first fic and then its sequel.

“Yes. Quite fit, young athletes. Fond of maneuvers. Don’t be daft, I haven't touched him. Yet.”

Back when I wasn't writing such serious and dramatic literature. laugh.gif

• 8 months later...

All right here are my pics

Books Lust

1. Draco- Blonde, grey eyes, self assured, knows what he wants, belssed hot

sex.gif

2. Lucius- Blonde, self assured, attitude, love the family man in him that came out in the last book when things were going to hell in a hand basket.

3. Lupin- Nakes me want to wrap him up and protect him

4. Snape - Now this man has defiently been to hell and back and still managed to steal some part of my heart.

5. Neville- Now he proved all of Hogwarts wrong. He proved himself and then some.

Movie Lust

1. Draco- Blonde, grey eyes, self assured, knows what he wants, belssed hot

sex.gif Need I say more. (Yeah in the next section)

2. Lucius- yeah you want to beat the living daylights out of him but if you could just bind him and put a silencing spell on him. man think of all the fun.

3. Lupin - only because he has been through so much and shows

4. Fred and George - never been in a sandwich but with them i would not mind.

Movie Hates

The way they are making Draco seem like a stooge. He is not stupid. Or bumbling. This is not the way he is written in the books his character in the books are what I have come to appreciate and love.

• 5 months later...
Guest MortiferLascivio

I guess I'll be the first one to say it.

Harry Potter - What? I guess you can say that's a boring choice, but I really do like him. I don't think he's arrogant (he's often said that he'd trade his fame for his parents any day and always seemed to shy away from the lime light). He also has a loyalty towards his friends, a good sense of what's morally right and a sort of innocence that isn't often a quality in children who has been through what he has. The few vague snippets we got on his childhood made him seem like an adorable child to me. I will also admit that Daniel Radcliffe is very attractive, but I cannot place his face with Harry. Harry looks completely different in my mind. And so what? He gets a little emotional and uh...passionate about some things. I think any normal kid would react to the same type of stress and pressure he's under. I know I crack under the simplest little problem at school. He's a character I can really relate with; one that has an astounding ability to overcome childhood adversity and the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's funny too at odd points in the book.

Fred/George and Ron: The few characters that actually offer relief in the darkest points of the book. I couldn't tell you how relieved I was when Fred and George caused all that havoc at the school in book five. It was getting too dark and too tense for my liking. And Ron is always good for a few comedic lines.

I can't say I'm sexually attracted to any of the characters. But each do appeal to me in other ways. The only character I'd have to say that I don't like much...is Draco. He's not attractive physically (Rat face anyone?) nor is his personality. This is odd since my stories focus around him in some way (right after Harry).

I guess I'll be the first one to say it.

Harry Potter - What?

I suppose I dislike Harry so much because of daniel radcliffe. That guy looks nothing like the way I used to think of harry... And I admit, also because he's so unhappy. I mean, HOW CAN YOU BE UNHAPPY WITH HERMIONE THERE ALL THE TIME!?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.