Click Here!

Who should play Fenrir Greyback?

ZombieDuke

It's near that time fangirls and fanboys. The Dark Lords of movie making are already stating work on HBP and that raises the question... Who do you think should play the evil/uber-smexy/dark Werewolf that we've come to love and drool over?

Oh, I think that it should be someone like John Noble; I think that's his name.

He played Denethor in Lord of the Rings; and you're right; Fenrir Greyback is Uber sexy.

Guest Madapple

I think Karl Urban.

He would make a great Fenrir.

On second thought, scratch that.

Gerard Butler. . .

Yes, Gerard Butler. . . yummy, Scottish Gerard Butler.

Did anyone see Dracula 2000? (proof he can do dark.)

Or maybe I'm just casting with my uterus.

blink.gif Oooo-kay, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't necessarily find pedophile werewolves, or pedophiles in general, for that matter, sexy. And that's exactly what Greyback is, a child predator (but, I confess to being somewhat over-analytical at times). Anyhoo....

When HBP came out, Entertainment Weekly gave their choices for casting the sixth film. I still have that copy and thought I'd post who they see in various roles:

Scrimgeour - Brian Cox (meh)

Slughorn - Bob Hoskins (I can see it)

Marvolo Gaunt - Peter O'Toole (absolutely)

This one is interesting, Merope Gaunt - Helena Bonham Carter (we know that's not gonna happen)

and

Fenrir Greyback - Daniel Day Lewis (?!?!?!)

I think Christopher Eccleston would play a good Greyback; he plays manic well and with a beard and long hair, he'd have the right look. Not uber-sexy-evil, just uber-evil. Discuss. biggrin.gif

blink.gif Oooo-kay, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't necessarily find pedophile werewolves, or pedophiles in general, for that matter, sexy. And that's exactly what Greyback is, a child predator (but, I confess to being somewhat over-analytical at times). Anyhoo....

I thought he just enjoyed eating the flesh of children... or turning them... I guess it depends on the time of the month laugh.gif (I'm so bad).

Fenrir Greyback - Daniel Day Lewis (?!?!?!)

I think Christopher Eccleston would play a good Greyback; he plays manic well and with a beard and long hair, he'd have the right look. Not uber-sexy-evil, just uber-evil. Discuss.  biggrin.gif

If DDL were to lose that accent he had when he did "Gangs of New York" and went a little more, ahem, wild like in the The Last of the Mohicans then I could see him playing Greyback...

Christopher Eccleston... that would be intresting. I'll admit I've only seen him in 28 days later so I'm not that sure about him.

Does anybody remember the King of the Gauls from HBO's ROME? The one captured in the first episode and then killed during the triumph? I can't find his picture (or his name! Argh!) but he'd play a damn fine Greyback XD

I thought he just enjoyed eating the flesh of children... or turning them... I guess it depends on the time of the month laugh.gif (I'm so bad).

Well, yes, technically he just enjoys eating the flesh of children, but I took it as a metaphor for a child molestor. To kids, he's just a scary werewolf, but my first thought was "J.K.'s writing about a pedophile!"

DDL from "Last of the Mohicans" now that is a blast from the past. So far back, I can't even remember what he looked like in that.

I can't see Daniel Day Lewis as Greyback at all, and come to think of it I can't see Christopher Eccleston either... I saw him as Dr Who; he looks too much like a dorkier version of Jason Isaacs to be Greyback.

I stand by John Noble.

denethor.jpg

A picture of him as Denethor.

Also, I don't think of him as a Peodophile. I have a theory as to why he picks on children, which is probably slightly more family friendly than the notion of Peodophilia.

If we were going to be that picky about the books then whenever Tonks and Remus have sex then that might as well be considered bestiality - and Harry would be the result of the same thing, which in some way would give credence to all those idiots that hate Harry Potter because of its so called devastating influence on children!

I think there comes a point where you just have to sit back and think of it as fantasy, which it is. And the idea of children or anyone being turned into Werewolves is fantasy. Peodophilia is real, and I'd like to keep the two separate.

Also, I don't think of him as a Peodophile.  I have a theory as to why he picks on children, which is probably slightly more family friendly than the notion of Peodophilia.

If we were going to be that picky about the books then whenever Tonks and Remus have sex then that might as well be considered bestiality - and Harry would be the result of the same thing, which in some way would give credence to all those idiots that hate Harry Potter because of its so called devastating influence on children!

I think there comes a point where you just have to sit back and think of it as fantasy, which it is.  And the idea of children or anyone being turned into Werewolves is fantasy.  Peodophilia is real, and I'd like to keep the two separate.

I'd be interested in hearing that theory; an adult man who picks on/bullies/bites children isn't right in the head. I still say J.K. writes in layers; younger people will see/interpret one thing; old, cynical folk like me another.

As for Remus and Tonks; if they have sex while he's transformed, yes, I agree, that would be bestiality. Otherwise, no. And I have no idea what you're referring to about Harry, other than he's the result of a "mixed" marriage.

Also, Remus, to me, is a metaphor for gay men who were ostracized from teaching, coaching, etc. because they were either HIV positive or had AIDS back in the 80's/90's (of course Remus was attacked and "infected" with the werewolf affliction as a child, it's not his fault; the "innocent" victim stance, like a blood transfusion recipient). In HBP, that's pretty damn clear once Bill is attacked by Greyback, but Fleur stands by him, and Tonks lays into Remus. He says "it's not the same thing." Totally symbolic of the difficulties a couple might face when one is HIV positive.

Yes, the books are fantasy and that is how I initially approach them; I'm just looking for an entertaining read. But if something jumps out at me (first chapter of HBP for example, was all about terrorism and the U.K./U.S. alliance) I can't help that. I'm also well aware of the fact that people cannot turn into werewolves, although those suffering from lycanthropy think they can.

I think I learned something today (god, I sound like a "South Park" episode" lol). Some people prefer a straight forward black and white interpretation and others go for the shades of grey. And that's cool with me. cool.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Madapple

I always thought Jeremy Irons should be Voldemort.

Ralph Fiennes -> Remus Lupin, but that leaves out David Thewlis.

Who probably would have been a great Ludo Bagman.

My casting is a wish in the wind though.

Fenrir could be played by Jeremy Irons.

Sorry if I misspelled his first name.

Beth

Hey that's a good one!

I think you got a good choice there, and it would be interesting to see those two on the same scene together.

Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons I mean, especially as they played brothers in the Die Hard films.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.