Click Here!

Birthdate Verifier

Guest DarkAvenger

Isn't it interesting/ironic how some changes meant to protect a site that's for adults brings out the juvenile, reactionary, immaturity of some assholes? huh.gif

It just started me a little when I first saw it. I was like, "whoa, huh? Oh. Well...whatever."

The reviewing thing is pretty cool though. I never had a problem with anon flamers, but a lot of my anon reviews were kinda pointless. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem with anon reviews.

Of course, i am the original review whore. I don't think i've deleted any of mine, even the really whacko ones, or those that are squicked by my fetishes.

Eh, i have nothing against signing in regularly, i just wish i could do it once and be done.

I expect that many of those who delete accounts because of this change are doing it more because it's an excuse than a problem.

Planning to leave for whatever reason, there's a change, so they can make a speech about how it's all some other person's fault, so there.

Most of the forums i've been on for the last decade, anyone making a big speech on exit is usually back again fairly quickly.

It's those that just leave who seem to be sincere and/or successful the most often.

Basically like a, "Look...look, yeah see? I'm leaving now...no, NO! Don't look away...ya see, I, I, I'm going because this is UNFAIR. You know? Yeah! Yeah, see I have needs, that this is just not MEETING! Hey...wait! It's also unfair to everyone! Wait...no, don't shut the-fine!" *stomps off in a dramatic huff* devil.gif

I think that about covers it. tongue.gif Such is my rather bad joke for the day. freak.gif

laugh.gif Ada, that was the best huff I've heard in a long time. Bravo! biggrin.gif

As for the topic at hand. I don't really find that the birthday verifier is that much of a problem, compared to say, the site getting shut down because some fanbrat teen's mommy sues us for corrupting her baby. rolleyes.gif

Lol, thanks!

I don't have a problem with it. smile.gif It keeps me from forgettin' when I was born. I mean...I'm getting old. This will keep meh on my toes!

It's all right with me. There are worse things...like, err, no sex or something. sex.gif

You know what I find odd though? The fact that members aren't saying a damn thing about the fact that you can CHOOSE to accept Anon reviews or not. It's like they all missed the memo or something. unsure.gif Or maybe they just hate us enough now that it doesn't matter at this point. Who knows... and frankly, I'm tired of giving a rats ass. Because all that's gotten me so far is a bunch of bitching, whining, cursing, downright insulting emails in my inboxes on a daily basis. Members have gone so far as to stalk me on myspace, LJ, my own site, DA, and yhosting... it's fucking ridiculous. Why me? Because I'm the head tech and I MUST be the root of all evil? *sighs* Okay, now I have ranted and now I will shut up. *waves and goes back to answering the screaming emails in as calm a fashion as possible while operating on 2 hours of sleep*

Aha! but I almost did miss the memo. I just happened to be looking in My junk email folder one day when I found your email in there. I told the thing that it wasn't junk but I doubt it was an isolated incident.

I can't say I've had any trouble with it. It's not much more than the minor effort of switching between the sections usually.

Ya do what you've gotta do, I guess.

I'll storm out when you start taking DNA... tongue.gif

Guest jeazard

Hm, so this answers that question. *pokes ther thread* Is this what lawyers think will keep minors from entering sites they're not supposed to? Excuse me for laughing, have those people ever spent time on the internet...?

Hm, so this answers that question. *pokes ther thread* Is this what lawyers think will keep minors from entering sites they're not supposed to? Excuse me for laughing, have those people ever spent time on the internet...?

Probably not.

But the point is that, when minors do enter the site, it's very clearly the fault of the minor, not the site. So the site is free from blame and can't be sued (well I guess it can be sued, but it'd be a lost cause).

• 2 months later...

if you have cookies enabled you should only get the birthdate verifier once for every server (naruto.adu..., anime.adu..., celeb.adu.... etc.) assuming you visit enough that your cookies don't expire.

It's a bit annoying since I'm not American and those legal issues can't affect me no matter what I say.

The birthdate verifier has nothing to do with how America's laws affect the visitor but how they affect the site. You may be legal to view the site where you are but if you're not in America you're risking the site for everyone else.

Guest DarkAvenger
Erm, any way to make the verification a onetime thing or a random-once-every-few-weeks check? It's a bit annoying since I'm not American and those legal issues can't affect me no matter what I say.

There's a one year cookie you get for each section of the site. That means you fill it out once per year, per section of the site. Unless of course, you dump all cookies when you close your browser or every week or something. Then it'll only stay until you delete the cookie.

Oh, and redsilver is correct on the how it affects the site thing. Just because you live on Mars (or wherever) doesn't make you immune to it. Rules are based in the country the server is in, period. That means while on our site, you follow our rules. Just like visiting a foreign country, you follow their rules while there.

"There's a one year cookie you get for each section of the site. That means you fill it out once per year, per section of the site. Unless of course, you dump all cookies when you close your browser or every week or something. Then it'll only stay until you delete the cookie." ... "Rules are based in the country the server is in, period."

Say there isn't any chance of you getting cheap server-space somewhere like Brazil is there? Would that make the verification process go away? wink.gif

I’m the only person who uses my computer, I’ve checked my cookies and double-checked them, even triple checked them. My verifications have an average 24-hour life expectancy (sometimes as much as 72-hours) and I can’t do anything about that. As such, since I am one who likes aimlessly wandering through sites, and have been trying despite the verification process trying to dissuade me thus far… I quit. It wins!

I’ve noticed my visits dwindling and aside from that I’m usually a very patient person, but I nearly put a shoe through my monitor last month...not good for a laptop…maybe I was hormonal or something… The point is that verification (rinse, repeat) feels like it is bordering on harassment, even though I know it isn’t. I code and ever since that shoe incident, I have been trying to come up with ways to simplify the verification process… no success yet (if I do, I’ll be certain to send the webmasters something useful). I’ll be back, I know I will, it is just a matter of forgetting that verification process once every six months or so; or having the 'problem' fixed. In the meantime, I’ll just delete my bookmarks and favorites lists to avoid temptation. tongue.gif (I like my computer, it is the only one I own.)

Guest DarkAvenger
Say there isn't any chance of you getting cheap server-space somewhere like Brazil is there? Would that make the verification process go away? wink.gif

We have a very good deal with the host we are with, a huge amount of $$ off from what everywhere else wants for 2 dedicated servers. We had checked outside the US when we switched a few months back and without several thousand coming in a month, it's impossible. And no, after paying almost $500 for that software, it's not going anywhere.

Sorry to hear it ran you off.

This is how the cookies work:

If you sign a verification page, the cookie will only last 24 hours. Even then. it only applies to individual archives. If you log in as a member within an archive, the cookie will last for an entire year for that archive. This means that you won't encounter a verification page for a certain archive provided that the cookie remains intact. This period of time will refresh itself if you log in again before the year is up.

You don't need to give up. Just log in at each archive. It doesn't matter if there's nothing you need to do there. Just log in, log out, and voilà! No more annoying forms for a year!

If you log in as a member within an archive, the cookie will last for an entire year for that archive. This means that you won't encounter a verification page for a certain archive provided that the cookie remains intact.

Thank you! I'll give it a try and post back if I have luck with that strategy. Logging in as a member... I hope the solution is as simple as it sounds. smile.gif

Just to be clear on this, you will have to sign the form the first time you enter the archive. It can't be helped. If you log in and out successfully, you shouldn't encounter the form the second time you try to enter the same archive, even if more than 24 hours elapse since your last visit.

If the strategy doesn't work, check your browser settings to make sure that cookies are enabled for the site and that your browser stores the cookies instead of deleting them. If there are any other problems after that, either echtrae or DarkAvenger should be able to help you here.

Guest DarkAvenger

Internet Explorer Cookies - How To

Go to Tools

Internet Options

On the security tab set it to no "medium high" or lower.

Click the Apply button at the bottom of the window.

Go to the Privacy tab.

Put your cookie slider bar to "low" (first notch up from the bottom).

Click on "Sites"

In the new window, scroll down the list of "Managed Sites" and delete all entries that

have adult-fanfiction.org in them in ANY way, thus ensuring you get all domains removed

from the blocked list.

Click OK

Move your cookie slider bar down to "Accept All Cookies".

Click Apply.

Click the "Advanced" button.

Make sure that the checkmark box that says "override automatic cookie handling" is NOT

checked. If it is, uncheck it and press OK.

Click Apply

On the "General" tab, click the "Delete..." button under Browsing History.

Delete Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History.

Click "Close"

Click OK

Now try accessing the site.

Guest DarkAvenger

Mozilla Firefox - Cookies How To

*Tools > Options

*Under Cookies, slect "Show Cookies"

*Highlight each cookie from adult-fanfiction.org (there should be one per section of the site that you have visited - sections are harry potter, inuyasha, anime, books, etc) and click the + sign beside of it. Check to make sure each one has 2 things listed under it. One says sess_id and one bdv. If it doesn't have those exact two, highlight it and click "Remove Cookies". If it does have those two things, then leave it alone.

*Once you are done with that, click "Close".

*Now, under Cookies, select "Exceptions".

*Remove all adult-fanfiction.org entries from this listing by highlighting the entry and clicking "Remove Site". Once you are done, click "Close".

*Under Cookies, checkmark the box "Accept cookies from sites". Select "Keep until they expire from the drop down box.

*Under Private Data, click the "Settings" button. Uncheckmark the box "Cookies". Press OK.

*Go to the Contents tab. Checkmark the boxes that say "Enable JavaScript" and "Enable Java". Press OK.

*Close your browser. Open it again and try to visit the site and fill out the birthdate verifier page.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Oh wow, without reading the rest of the posts besides like the first two lines of the original one.

It was legally binding?... I suppose after the first time it asked me, I should have done more than just put in a random date and letters, ne? I just sort of get annoyed, having it ask me my date of birth and all that about every two weeks, or if I take a break from AFF for a while.

Though, I've been a member since '05 (And a reader since before that.) so I don't see why it should be a problem... Oh well, nothin' I can do now.

• 5 weeks later...