Click Here!

Birthdate Verifier

Guest DarkAvenger

Guest DarkAvenger

Our newest improvement is a way to keep even more underage users off of the site!

We have purchased a very expensive program from a lawyer that makes it so that all people who wish to even so much as read on the site must sign a legally binding contract stating their date of birth.

Currently, you will have to log in through the form for each section of the site that you wish to view. This is because of how the program is set up and it may be able to be modified at some point in the future. Until such a point arrives, please be patient with us and simply be happy that all underage users who lie are now lying inside of a legally binding contract, which makes what they are doing even more against the law than it was before. We hope that this will be enough for any lawsuit that may arise to see it as the underage users fault and not ours, and thus the site should hopefully be protected to the best of our ability.

This has been a long time coming and was not a decision made on the spur of the moment. Discussion about this has been occurring since early 2006 and was even alluded to in numerous news posts.

While we know that this will cause outrage amongst those users who should not be here anyway (i.e. users under the age of 18), we are willing to deal with that consequence. We hope that all other users will understand that this is a necessary step that the site needs to take in order to maintain 'due diligence'.

Please note that when the form asks for your name, we ask that you use either your real name or the name you go by on the internet. Both of these things are considered to be your signature. Also note that the contract is still legally binding, even if you only put an X or gibberish into the box that asks for your name.

Sincerely,

Dark Avenger, Paranoid, Chilli, Firuze, Hellfyrre, Echtrae

The Moderators of AdultFanFiction.net

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest echtrae

The forums don't need it. The forum requires you to register to do anything, even read stuff. When you register, you are required to submit your birthday. Therefore, we have on record the age you claim to be.

Guest echtrae

You probably haven't. The forums use cookies to keep track of you so you don't have to log in everytime. The crappy code that runs the fiction site uses the PHP session as does the bday verifier. Which means that you automatically get logged out and have to keep logging back in.

The amount of times I have had to go through that Age Verifier in the past 12 hours is INSANE! I know it's due to the 'crappy code' as Trae so eloquently puts it, but jeez louise.... I just hope our devoted membership will stick it out until the Technic Poobah can rewrite the code for the whole damn site.

I am already rapidly losing patience with this thing, since i have stories in at least four freaking sections! I have to go through that thing every time i want to check on any of mystories, plus when i check into the site.

Same here. I got stories in six different sections.

So I decided to just check up on those sections where I've recently added/updated a story. Much less frustrating that way. Plus, all the time not wandering around aimlessly in various sections is time that can be spent on writing.

Well... theoretically.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
Same here. I got stories in six different sections.

So I decided to just check up on those sections where I've recently added/updated a story. Much less frustrating that way. Plus, all the time not wandering around aimlessly in various sections is time that can be spent on writing.

Well... theoretically.

I'm so happy I rarelty poke my head out of the two fandoms I read.

I wish I could say the same for my writing crying.gif

I have writing in... -counts fingers- FIVE sections. That means that last night I had to put in my birthdate five times. Luckily, I didn't poke around for long so I didn't have to do it everytime I went to a new chapter.

I really can't wait until you guys get the main site to use cookies or somethig, 'cause that get's old fast.

At the same time, that could also lead to a bunch of people making accounts so they can bypass the system, and then you have a bunch of empty user accounts which I can imagine is a major waste of space.

Guest maiafay

It's annoying.

I now just put whatever month/day/year and then "me" as the sig. All to just check reviews, hits and reading in general. I think I might limit my "checking" to once a week from now on.

This just came to me and it's probably a stupid idea but I just have to mention it.

Is there any way that you can make it so that members can log in from the main index page? I realize that in a sense this would relate to re-connecting the archives or combining the different archives onto one member profile page (something that's in the plans anyway). I'm thinking that it may be easier on members if they could log in from the main index page, and have that log-in valid on all the archives, thus allowing them to avoid signing the age verifier every time.

Even as I say this I realize how stupid this sounds and how much work it'll take to implement that change. Much more work than simply adding a tracking cookie to the form.

Forgive me for this moment of stupidity. You know I'm not usually like this.

Guest echtrae

Many of the problems wouldn't exist, if the site hadn't been fractured in the first place. As a matter of fact, there are so many things wrong with the fic site, that I just plain don't have the time nor the space to list them all.

Well...it's a step in the right direction, at least. It'll stop most of the idiots for the most part, the trouble makers. Ugh, I haven't had a chance to check up on my stories yet, but I usually just check on one of my fandoms on a daily basis.

Hey, I'll deal just fine until it becomes more refined. At least AFF is better than most sites in that it's always trying to improve.

Guest JiLLiNe0

This makes me happy that I'm 19 and not 16. I first learned about this site when I was 16, and instantly became obsessed. It's fortunate for people under the age of 18 that love this site and are no longer able to be here, but there's always Fiction Alley. tongue.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
This makes me happy that I'm 19 and not 16. I first learned about this site when I was 16, and instantly became obsessed. It's fortunate for people under the age of 18 that love this site and are no longer able to be here, but there's always Fiction Alley. tongue.gif

... Well, considering that since 2005 you HAD to be 18... yeah... dry.gif

>_>

This isn't a brand new development here, it's simply become more of a priority as of late what with politicians and parents are becoming more keen on enforcing child protection laws and are trying to figure out any way possible to shut all these sites down.

Although it's a bit of a pain to enter the verification info (especially when on the fly at work, where eyes are everywhere) I'm for it. AFF feels like home to me, and you've got to keep your home safe and in shape. We all need to adapt and be patient, is how I look at it. Plus, I'm no where near as psychotically obsessed with checking for hits & reviews like when I first joined, so I can manage (I think) laugh.gif

Guest Big Samurai

*additional shrug*

No worries, Ms. 'Naea, just a Narutard. For every one that disappears, a dozen more will come into play. Self-correcting problem.

cool.gif

I realize how irritating this safety measure can be, but, hey, if it protects AFF, I don't mind it one bit.

Guest DarkAvenger
Er... potential issue or isolated incident? You Decide.

We had 8 deletion requests yesterday and I'm sure more have packed up and left without asking for their accounts to be deleted. *shrug* It's just one of the things that comes with change. Hell, the first day we changed the colors way back when we got over 20 deletion requests! So in my opinion, we're still doing pretty darn good when it comes to amount of members leaving vs. amount signing up.

You know what I find odd though? The fact that members aren't saying a damn thing about the fact that you can CHOOSE to accept Anon reviews or not. It's like they all missed the memo or something. unsure.gif Or maybe they just hate us enough now that it doesn't matter at this point. Who knows... and frankly, I'm tired of giving a rats ass. Because all that's gotten me so far is a bunch of bitching, whining, cursing, downright insulting emails in my inboxes on a daily basis. Members have gone so far as to stalk me on myspace, LJ, my own site, DA, and yhosting... it's fucking ridiculous. Why me? Because I'm the head tech and I MUST be the root of all evil? *sighs* Okay, now I have ranted and now I will shut up. *waves and goes back to answering the screaming emails in as calm a fashion as possible while operating on 2 hours of sleep*

I think the modification to the anon posting probably took you quite a bit of work, and am thankful you were thoughtful enough to do it. As for those bitching about the age verifier they can take a hike, because if in the long run it keeps the site from shutting down and not being here at all they should be thanking their lucky stars they have somewhere to post their stories and or read fanfics to begin with.

Guest DarkAvenger
Hang in there, DA. hug.gif

Isn't it interesting/ironic how some changes meant to protect a site that's for adults brings out the juvenile, reactionary, immaturity of some assholes? huh.gif

Not so much interesting as "oh god, why me?" lol.