Click Here!

Reviews, Trolls, Artwork, & FAQ

Guest DarkAvenger

Guest DarkAvenger

Today, we have three very important updates for the site.

First, we are launching a new problem solving feature for story reviews.

Many users were having problems with Trolls on their review boards and they wanted us to be able to do something about users that left Anon or non-logged in reviews if they were actually Trolling or Flaming. So, we have decided to make life a little easier for everyone. As such, all users who wish to leave a review on a story must be logged in from this point on.

The second thing we would like to announce is the artwork gallery that is filled with pictures drawn by the members of our yahoo art group. It is linked to from the main navigation panel, the same one that contains the link to your author panel login page; it says Artwork.

http://www.adult-fanfiction.org/X/Pictures/index.php

And, finally, there is an updated link to the site resources, otherwise known as the FAQ. The new link is right beside of the link to the artwork gallery. This is the portion of the site that contains all of the play-by-play instructions for all of the most common questions that the tech team is asked by users. Please look there for any questions you may have before emailing the tech team or the moderators. Otherwise, you will simply be supplied with the link that you could have clicked yourself and saved yourself a ton of time!

http://resource.adult-fanfiction.org/main.php?list=1700

Thank you for your continued patience with the tech department during our improvements to the site and we hope that you enjoy everything available to you!

Sincerely,

~Dark Avenger

Moderator & Head Tech

This frustrates me. I don't like to be one who complains, but I really liked the fact that anon's could comment on my stories. How difficult is it for someone to hit the delete button on that rogue comment meant only as a flame? I have noticed that rarely does a story get flamed unless it has a lot of issues with grammar, spelling, or is just a horrid story to begin with (which does not make receiving those kinds of criticisms right by any means).

I might be one of the few people who really hates this, but this decision irks me to bits.

This frustrates me. I don't like to be one who complains, but I really liked the fact that anon's could comment on my stories. How difficult is it for someone to hit the delete button on that rogue comment meant only as a flame? I have noticed that rarely does a story get flamed unless it has a lot of issues with grammar, spelling, or is just a horrid story to begin with (which does not make receiving those kinds of criticisms right by any means).

I might be one of the few people who really hates this, but this decision irks me to bits.

That is not entirely true. This, if I am not mistaken, is being put in place because of the mass trolling that has been occurring.

One such instance I personally witnessed happening with a WHOLE SECTION of fics being flamed by one person. Regardless of the quality of the stories. It was all a direct insult to said authors. Yes it's a bother to have to sign in, but I rather the integrity of the site not suffer because of a group of people who are just plain rude.

The result of such people being allowed to continuously insult others is that these good authors end up leaving the archive. They become tired of the daily, if not hourly abuse, regardless of the quality of their work.

I for one am glad that people will now have to sign in to leave a review. Not only would it keep trolls from getting out of hand, but it also means that people would more than likely be a bit more thoughtful when leaving reviews. Who knows?

I'm with LemonDrops. The majority of my best reviewers on the site happen to be non-members. I'll be seeing a huge drop in reviews (concrit included) thanks to this new policy.

I feel that being able to remove any reviews on your stories yourself when logged in is sufficient against trolls and flamers. There are a huge number of non-members on this site who give valuable reviews to thousands of us, and I don't see why they should be alienated because of a few bad seeds. And believe me, from what I've seen, the number of flamers tends to be relatively low.

Guest DarkAvenger

There were 9 member who left the site in the past month due to their review boards being trolled to the point of literally crashing. There was NO way for THEM to delete the reviews any longer, period. They could not see ANY reviews and there was a high risk of the entire table in the database for that section becoming corrupted because of said trolling. I personally had to go in and delete all of the offending trolling (spamming) reviews each time, and that was over 15 times, several hundred posts per time. I don't have time for that, period.

It's not like non-author's can't sign up on the site. *shrug* We have no policy that says we'll delete you if you're just a reviewer. Big whoop, so they have to give us their email and make an account. And the point to this you ask? So that we can TRACK the little shits that are doing this to our review boards and to our site, instead of having to tell users, "gee we're sorry, but we can't do shit". Now we can keep track of the trolls and have their information, such as email address, and actually be able to do something about it.

It puts us, the moderators/techs/admin, in control of the situation, rather than allowing Anon reviewers to run our world.

Now, if everyone will hold their horses, I will also go further and copy/paste what I just responded to on main list below and that should hopefully make you a little less pissed off at me.

=======================

Copy/Pasted Message

"The problem is that we did what we could within a short period of time with the coding. Any further revision to it, especially something like a "per user option" will require massive revision of the code, rather than the revision that took us only a couple of days to implement.

However, your idea will go into the pool of "things to consider" while we are re-working the entire coding; something that has been in process for several months now.

~Dark Avenger

Moderator & Head Tech"

--- In MainAdultFanFictionNet@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda" <vinsmouse.1@...> wrote:

>

> Thanks for the heads up, but could I make a suggestion/request? Instead of requiring signed reviews, maybe you could let the authors have the option of accepting anon. reviews or not. The reason I say this is because I've got some reviewers that if they have to mess with signing in, simply won't review. It's just that a lot of people don't even bother to review, so I'd really hate to lose out on the ones who will. Hope you'll consider this idea. Thanks and take care,

> Mouse

Guest Big Samurai

I, for one, approve the anti-troll measure. (I hate trolls!) I haven't had any problems with the little bastards, personally, but, IMO, the best reviews come from people who are fellow 'ficcers, anyway, so ... if you have to be a site member to review, I think that will be a positive influence in the long term.

cool.gif

That is not entirely true. This, if I am not mistaken, is being put in place because of the mass trolling that has been occurring.

One such instance I personally witnessed happening with a WHOLE SECTION of fics being flamed by one person. Regardless of the quality of the stories. It was all a direct insult to said authors. Yes it's a bother to have to sign in, but I rather the integrity of the site not suffer because of a group of people who are just plain rude.

The result of such people being allowed to continuously insult others is that these good authors end up leaving the archive. They become tired of the daily, if not hourly abuse, regardless of the quality of their work.

I for one am glad that people will now have to sign in to leave a review. Not only would it keep trolls from getting out of hand, but it also means that people would more than likely be a bit more thoughtful when leaving reviews. Who knows?

I figured there must have been trolling in some of the other sections, I didn't think it would have been based on one or two incidents...(still irked, cooled off and far more understandable, but irked nonetheless).

I suppose I'm more angry at the jerks that trolled. Why do stupid idiots have to ruin it for everyone? grrrrrrr. I will miss the invaluable reviews from non-members, and I'm still very saddened.

Guest maiafay

While I understand the frustration, and then the rudeness of a troll--and the spammer that had almost caused that section of AFF (not sure how they could just by leaving reviews...but hey, what do I know?) to crash.

I'm not happy about this new rule. I'm aware that there must be extensive work involved with the coding, but I certainly hope you will give authors the option to allow anon reviews in the future. I know I didn't sign in half the time when giving reviews, and half my own review board is anon. I guess I can kiss those goodbye, or encourage feedback on FF.net or my LJ.

Readers are lazy as it is...and now they just have another excuse not to review. I'm torn between wanting to kick the shit out of the troll that started this--and grit my teeth over the fact that hardly anyone really is helping this site besides a few kindhearted folks (I would in a heartbeat myself if I knew what I was doing.) to make changes easier and not so 'absolute'.

Now, all anon reviewers will be put off, and probably just read or leave--or not bother to sign up unless they really really want to review the story(yeah right.)--but then emailing is easier than thinking up a screen name, then messing with the confirmation, etc. I understand it solves the problem short term...but some of us probably only have anon reviews...and now they won't have any. I can say right now, that if I was anon, I probably wouldn't bother signing up...I would feel stupid signing up just to review--since many readers think you HAVE to be an author to join.

Perhaps an announcement should clarify to readers that they can join regardless if they're an author or not....

Sorry if my post ruffles feathers...but when most of your reviews depend upon readers who aren't site related....it's really discouraging.

PS. Since this has been implemented, perhaps someone can fix the rating system? That is abused more than anon reviewers, and have seen many stories unfairly rated by spiteful people. I've said this several times, (on the yahoo group) and each time was ignored. FF.net does fine without the system, and to be fair, it really should be removed and reader really 'should' go by the summary and/or reviews. I see good fics passed by because rude jerks or competition in that category (and the fact ratings are anon to begin with, so you can't track who is giving 1's to your fic.) all because they are rated badly.

I don't get tons of reviews, but I've gotten my share from Anon, or non-members, and I'd hate to see them go. But I hate those freakin' trolls, too. Maiafay brought up a good point, though. Will there be some kind of message to readers that they don't need to post fics in order to join up with the site? Some people may hesitate, thinking if they don't post an actual story, their account will be deleted.

Now, all anon reviewers will be put off, and probably just read or leave--or not bother to sign up unless they really really want to review the story(yeah right.)--but then emailing is easier than thinking up a screen name, then messing with the confirmation, etc. I understand it solves the problem short term...but some of us probably only have anon reviews...and now they won't have any. I can say right now, that if I was anon, I probably wouldn't bother signing up...I would feel stupid signing up just to review--since many readers think you HAVE to be an author to join.

I have already received several emails from loyal readers who do not have accounts to let me know that they are very frustrated by this, but they apologized and said they wouldn't be signing up. I haven't been this pissed off in a long, long time (which tells me I must have a pretty good life to be utterly pissed off at a stupid thing like this).

Anyway, thanks for letting us know there is a recode in the works...that is helpful knowledge. I'll try to calm myself down and let my readers know there is still hope. tongue.gif

I have absolutely no problem with this. That's because I've only gotten one anon review and, oh guess what? It was a flame! Wow! What are the chances! If a reader is so lazy that they can't type in their e-mail address then, well, what kind of review are you getting? Granted yes, signing in was an optional thing for me too when leaving reviews, but I always left my name!

It is sad that some brianless twits with nothing better to do that harass people and their work have made this change necessary, but you know what? That's life. If people don't follow the rules as they are, then, there needs to be more rules. Sorry, kids. wacko.gif

If a reader is so lazy that they can't type in their e-mail address then, well, what kind of review are you getting? Granted yes, signing in was an optional thing for me too when leaving reviews, but I always left my name!

You do know all those lovely reviews by people who left their email addresses will also be gone, right? Because you have to actually sign in and have an account...you have quite a few reviewers who will be affected, it isn't just the purely anon reviews, but also those who do leave their names and email addresses.

17/267 and 7/141...that is how many people are logged in users who have review my top two most highly rated stories. 17 out of 267 reviews...I like reviews, they are like my crack (everyone needs an addiction, reviews are mine). I need to find a new replacement crack now... crying.gif

I guess I can contact some of my regular non-member reviewers and tell them to leave the reviews either on FF.net or on LJ. I understand how trolls can be a nuisance, seeing as how I had to change my e-mail address three times because of it. Still, I can't say I'm happy about this new policy.

Meanwhile, good luck on the recoding and let us know when disabling anonymous reviews becomes optional on an individual member basis.

Guest DarkAvenger

Just so everyone knows, before the new code went up, we had around 49,829 members on the site. As of right now we have 52,661. All of those accounts were created during that timespan.

You're not going to lose all reviewers, trust me. Or else no one would review on the other fanfic sites that require you be a member to review.

And, just to let everyone know, most all of the people who review my stories are never signed in or don't have an account. It's not like I'm not going to lose the same exact things you all are, if anything is lost at all. angel.gif

The only thing that I dread (maybe too strong a word, but I'm a cynic) are the fanbrats. I've seen it happen where a story has a five star rating, thirty reviews (all of the squeeing "you're an awesome writer, this is the best fic on the site, OMG that was SOOOOO HOT!!! variety) and when you click on the story it turns out to be:

a shameless Mary Sue

badly formatted, riddled with typos and bad grammar

a flimsy, plodding plot with holes so big you could sail the Queen Mary through it

completely devoid of lemons (not even a wedge of lime) or if there is sex it is so laughably bad you're convinced they couldn't tell the difference between an erect phallus and a flashlight

Now, you leave polite concrit. You know, the usual, watch your spelling, work on your grammar, don't be in such a rush to post, get a beta, learn basic anatomy, etc. Author and fanbrat following don't like that and retaliate by hitting your story and telling you it sucks and spitefully rate it down.

Anon or aliases can be an advantage for the well intentioned reviewer just covering their ass from the above scenario. But, I admit, the evil little trolls conscript it for their own dark purposes, and I'm not too fond of the little assmunch responsible for plaguing a fandom, that's just bogus.

Ah, well, we must adapt; anything to stymie the annoying buggers is ok by me.

Guest Ravenhawk
Readers are lazy as it is...and now they just have another excuse not to review.

Agreed. I have a little over 50 reviews between my two stories on the site, and only five are from registered users. This change is going to cut my reviews to almost nil. Most readers don't review as it is; if they have to jump through the additional hoop of creating an account for the site (which many of them will probably never use again anyway) most of them just aren't going to bother.

I also have doubts that this will cut down on spamming, since the spammers can simply create an account using a throwaway Hotmail or Yahoo address and go back to their old tricks. Once they get banned, they can just make a new account, etc.

I'm very, very frustrated by this change. It may seem like a reasonable reaction to what I'm sure is a legitimate problem, but I think it's going to hit lots of people way too hard.