Click Here!

Who Do You Write Like?

ApolloImperium

• 3 months later...

Christ, I'm glad I didn't get Meyer or Rowling. But I suppose one's writing style is a reflection of what one reads.

James Joyce, Vladimir Nabokov, H.P. Lovecraft, Arthur Clarke. Inconsistent writing style, woop.

• 2 weeks later...

Rudyard Kipling twice, then James Fenimore Cooper three times. I used a few very long stories that I've written, as well as "Seeing the Lightning". I must say, even if it is a bit silly, I am honored to be compared to Kipling, and to a lesser degree, Cooper.

• 3 months later...

David Wallace, Mario Puzo, and Cory Doctorow were my common ones.

I got Wallace from writing about a little kid in the country befriending a baboon baby.

I got Puzo from talking about a Harp playing young woman who lived up in the Himalaya Mountains and her music could be heard.

Then Doctorow based on a chap from one of my Junjou Romantica fics.

Veeeeeery interesting results.

Kurt Vonnegut, Dan Brown, Raymond Chandler, J. K. Rowling, Margaret Mitchell, Cory Doctorow....

Freaky :wow: - apparently I write first-crush romance like Stephen King. :dots: I blame my mother.... She got me hooked on Stephen King in the first place....

Guilt like James Joyce, though.

Using only a naughty part, a funny part, dramatic part, and a sad part from the RP, I got
Anne Rice, L. Frank Baum and Lewis Carroll.

Will edit when I've tried some bits from my stories :D

Edit:

So... BronxWench's favorite part of my Celebrity fic gave me H.G Wells, but the entire fic gave me Edgar Allan Poe.

Both of my HP stories, as well as one chapter of the rough draft for my big original story gave me Margret Mitchell, while the first chapter of my silly little stream of consciousness original gave me David Foster Wallace.

And six chapters of my big original all gave me Margret Mitchell as well.

So, does that make me a diverse writer, or am I consistent in one genre-ish? :D

Edited by WillowDarkling
Added results from my archived stories

The soon to be published short story earned Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club. Uh oh.

Taboo - JK Rowling

By the Rising of the Moon - Anne Rice

Faeries - Anne Rice

Weird. I'd think I'd at least be consistent.

Okay, I was curious.

JK Rowling, JD Salinger, Arthur Clarke, David Foster Wallace, Stephen King

What's really funny is that sections of the same piece got me both Rowling and Salinger. The last two returns were from the complaint letter I wrote to a medical provider that deserves to be put out of business.

• 1 year later...

*laughs* Put in two old poems of mine; the first (subject: death) is likened to Shakespeare...the second (subject: multiple personalities) lands me, once again, with James Joyce.

Of course, I tried with my latest chapter of TWKH and got Stephanie Meyer, which was kind of offensive to me (long story, lots of ranting every time I try to explain it), so I took the chapter and used it scene by scene, and only one scene comes up with Meyer's name. The others have H. P. Lovecraft, Rudyard Kipling, Gertrude Stein, Chuck Palahniuk, and then Kipling two more times in a row! Meyer gets a tiny scene in comparison to some of the others, too. So I think that, especially for the longer pieces, it's listing the more famous authors, and, if there is one that's both famous and still alive, it looks like the site may list those over some other authors. 'cause, seriously, two of the scenes that got the Kipling comparison were much bigger than the other tiny scenes toward the beginning of the chapter, and yet Meyer is picked instead of Kipling, who gets three scenes out of seven? *shakes head*

Apart from the Meyer comparison, however, it's still fun to go back and do this from time to time, just to see how others might think my writing has changed.

An unposted Tokyo Majin: Gakuen Kenpucho fic got me J. D. Salinger. A might-be-in-the-works Dresden Files pseudo-start of a fic got me J. K. Rowling. A new original in the works got me Dan Brown.

Well, I got the following (I've edited out the ones that make me want to uninstall my word processing software):
Charles Dickens
H P Lovecraft (2)
Stephen King (3)
Leo Tolstoy
J R R Tolkien
Douglas Adams
Vladimir Nabokov
J D Salinger
Gertrude Stein
Then I was curious, so I fired up my Kindle app, and found out the following:
Stephen King writes like H P Lovecraft
H P Lovecraft writes like Mary Shelley

But, disturbingly, my favourite of the moment had an astonishing result...

The Marquis de Sade writes like Jonathan Swift....

As if my fan fiction wasn't enough, two people are now restless in their respective graves.

Well, I got the following (I've edited out the ones that make me want to uninstall my word processing software):
Charles Dickens
H P Lovecraft (2)
Stephen King (3)
Leo Tolstoy
J R R Tolkien
Douglas Adams
Vladimir Nabokov
J D Salinger
Gertrude Stein
Then I was curious, so I fired up my Kindle app, and found out the following:
Stephen King writes like H P Lovecraft
H P Lovecraft writes like Mary Shelley

But, disturbingly, my favourite of the moment had an astonishing result...

The Marquis de Sade writes like Jonathan Swift....

As if my fan fiction wasn't enough, two people are now restless in their respective graves.

:rofl: I've been a tad wary of trying that, myself, putting in bits from an author I like. Now that you've tried it, I had to. For the record, I used Martha Wells' short story The Houses of the Dead and the site said "You write like Neil Gaiman."

• 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.