Click Here!

Apollo's Corner

ApolloImperium

Updates from Apollo

Updates from Apollo

Things keep coming and coming! Thanks for joining us again!

Archive Improvement Status Updates

So two weeks ago, we launched the new RTE program and while it hasn't been an easy transition, I want to thank everyone for their patience as we all learn to work with the updates. We have found a few things that I want to make sure you all know about:

• We are aware of an issue when using the Word paste option that the RTE puts in extra lines between paragraphs. This is a known bug with the editor and we are waiting for the updates from the software company. Once the update comes through it should be fixed.
  • Old Word uploads are still experiencing issues. The cleaner was not able to strip out all of the junk Microsoft code, so there can be a small delay when trying to open an old chapter that was uploaded. We are systematically stripping out the code as we find it, but we've only made it through about 4 sub-domains and are still working on it, slowly but surely. If you open a chapter and it takes a while, that is just the cleaner working. It may take a few times opening/saving it before the cleaner gets it all, but rest assured, it will be better for it.
  • Code snippets showing in stories - Yes, we are aware of this. Again, it goes back to crap Microsoft code. Two ways to fix - One, the users can do it on their own which we recommend. If they aren't updating they may not know about it, so if reviewing, it may be kind to at least mention it. Two, when our clean up crew gets to that subdomain to check for issues from the old crash, it will be taken care of then. As we are only in Cartoons right now, this is going to take a while.
  • IE & the RTE. IE and the RTE don't always play well together. If you are using IE and get a pop up regarding a script running, select to stop the script and you should be able to continue using it no problem. There have been several threads posted in the Tech Support forum in regards to this so please review these topics first before posting one of your own if you still experience issues despite stopping the script.

In other news, starting in March, Manta2g will begin work on getting the new search options integrated. This will take approximately 2 months or so to complete and as soon as it's up and running we will let you know! She has a several stage plan for site improvements over the next 6+ months and as each stage starts, we'll detail what to expect in the news post!

New Top Level Category

We created this week a new Top Level Category in Books this week for books that are now in Public Domain. Things to keep in mind about this new category:

• The titles we have listed are not copyrighted anywhere that we have been able to determine. If a title is still copyrighted anywhere in the world, we will not be moving it into this category.
  • Anything posted in the category MUST be based on the book version, not a movie or mini-series. For example, if you are writing an Alice in Wonderland fiction, it must be book based, not mini-series, movie, etc. If something is loaded that is based on something other than the book, it will be deleted immediately.
  • We have run a script to make sure that all stories have the correct disclaimer. For future reference about what is required for the disclaimer in the Public Domain category, please review this news post.

New Advertising Programs

Launching this week! A new referral program for our existing advertisers! Look for it in the Advertising section!

AFF CafePress Store

Please take a moment to check out our store, featuring our AFF Calendar and other merchandise with the wonderful designs they provided us! If you see artwork you like but not on an item you are interested in? Send me a PM or e-mail and I will see what we can do!

Funding Status

Information to exact status is always found on the donations page. Currently, the site has $860.53 stored in PayPal. February's hosting costs are paid and as we have the money to cover March! We have started to amass a small surplus that will allow us to do various upgrades, but again, please keep us in mind if you have some spare cash! Please see the donation page for further information on how.

Tech Updates from DemonGoddess

Clean up/Sort Update

Only 13 stories remaining in Books to be moved and then we can mark Books complete for clean up/sort! We are still working our way through Cartoons and almost done with our visual review of the section. Once that's complete, we will be correcting issues, moving stories as need be etc!

from the naruto subdomain

Linkin Fantasy 2011-02-20 id # 3000194722

I'm not sure if it was just that one time or it it'll happen all the time, but when I updated a little box continually showed up telling me that my searching will be slower or something like that I'll have to check back, but it was really weird and I update by paste text, I don't stick a file in.

I'm going to refer you to a number of topics, as we've covered this extensively over the last couple weeks.

First, is the initial announcement.

Second, would be this very topic you're reading, there are some issues covered here as well.

Finally, if you have a tech support issue, first, check this forum, and see if your issue has already been asked about and answered. If it hasn't, then post a req for support.