Click Here!

Random journally stuff

JayDee

Forum's here, so, eh... Lets see,

I don't write real person stories/rpf/celeb whatcha wanna call it. I used to, and not all of 'em were especially violently themed. There was a Wrasslin' story that was pretty funny, and another one that seemed unpleasant but was an in character roleplay (which, got stolen and had the names changed by another "author" who then got banned from another site for submitting his version). Anyway, I took all my real person stuff down where I had posted it - except for one site where the admin refuses to remove any stories, but, hey, it's the internet ya don't stick stuff on the internet if ya don't want it to stay there in one form or another.

I also used to do a lot of requests, celeb requests, fanfic requests, a couple original stories... I still would be 'cept I don't really get the time for writing like I used too. I liked requests, and they're about the only stories I write where it feels important to get a decent chunk of feedback from somebody, specifically the requesting person. Sure it's nice to get feedback on other stories, good or bad (gotta love funny flames), but I'm really not bothered not to get a review for most. I skimmed through and have 7 stories that never got a single review on AFF, though I know some of them got comments elsewhere, didn't stop me posting to AFF! :) Requests though, ya do a request someone wants, you try and get it close to what they want, and for them to not even tell you they don't like it (if that's the case) is sorta annoying.

That's kinda a tangent though. The two points are: Used to write real person stories, and used to have time for requests.

Anyway, back in early 2007 or so there was a guy who used to post on another forum who had an incest fetish. Not a "some stories with incest are kinda interesting" take on it, but basically it seemed that if it wasn't incest it wasn't sexy for him. Hardcore fetish type, ya know? He did a bit of artwork and he liked incest stories and I think he probably quite liked the Luke/Leia story I did, so he asked me to write him a story. It was pretty obvious that the male character was "him" or an idealised early 20s him anyhow. It was basically a self insert OC and so back then I had it in the originals catagory here. I'd also donet two other stories with his self insert because, as much as anything, I liked the feedback I got off him. As I say, seemed to count more with requests.

A month or so after taking down my real person stuff - co-incidently, I figure - someone reviewed complaining he knew the guy's art online and since it was a real person it should've been in the other section, fair point. I hadn't thought about it when taking down the other stuff, because it was in originals. So I deleted it and being non-celeb/non-scifi/non-superhero etc it wasn't availailable in any of the other special interest places I posted my stuff, so getting it off AFF was enough. It had been on a gory story board, but I didn't think it kept stories on that were too old.

Anyway, he seemed to drift away from other forums I'd seen him at and what with not doing any more stories with his self insert I pretty much forgot about it all until last sunday, when I got an email. The stories were visible in a subsequently posted archive from the old gory site and came up as first search result for the two characters names. One of the three had almost been randomly reposted on a music forum by one user trolling another, and that was the second result. Even on safe search. Now, the person sending the email was the current partner of the person who requested the stories, and she explained a few things such as

1) His self insert used his real name. It's kinda a rare name and sort of cool, so that and the fact that requesting dirty stories that are identifably about you for the internet makes no sense, meant I'd always assumed it was a fake name.

2) The sister character (these being tales of incest) was... his... real... sister. Real name, all the details and shit, were hers. Very much hers. This is slightly less belieable in taking a request from someone than them using their real name but then I did once see this guy say he admired Governer Palin (as was), so, y'know, alarm bells.

3) They have another brother who discovered the requesting brother's incest fetish and, more specifically, the sister's central and focussed part in it. (Remember how their names brought up my old stories first of all? Well, I gotta assume that may have had a part in this amateur sleath's discovery. I mean, "I'm Feeling Lucky" has never been such a poisoned challace...)

4) Said Brother told the rest of the family. I bet their aged Mom wasn't about to submit my writing to oprah's book club, that's all I can say about that get together. Oh, that and I feel very bad for the sister, you might think me incapable of empathy/sympathy... all of them except apathy, but I feel bad about this. That's not the kinda shit you want to read about you and your brother (or indeed, see depicted in Mr artistic genius' apparantly facially accurate artwork.)

The places it was still being unexpectedly hosted removed the copies but it'll still be showing in web and search engine caches for a while to come to that family's irritation. Google auto remove copies from their engine at the click of a request button, but there's dozens more out there waiting for bots to re-spider across and update the caches.

Anyway, long story short, a story I wrote back in 2007 partly to be nice to a guy and partly because I wanted me some feedback came back and boned me. Suprise booksex, even. And didn't buy me dinner first. I'm not posting for sympathy, ya don't write what I write and look for sympathy, but it's a cautionary tale. If somebody wants an original story writing.... tell 'em you're gonna pick the damn names. Unless it's something totally furry.

Oh, and the other caution note is: If you want to request a writer do a story about your fantasy of your sister, use a few fake details, huh?

Incidently, while looking into how many copies were around of that story I also found a celebriry fakes site that has taken one of my old and particuarly poor quality stories, made about half visible and has a link saying users have to register for more. If that's the level of their sales enticement they're lucky to still afford their domain hosting fees because it's a pretty shit story.

Boy, I used anyway a lot in this here journally rant thing.

My first reaction: Holy fucking shit, that sucks.

My second reaction: Wow, that guy's a fucking moron.

My third reaction: There's a depressing amount of hilarity in all that.

Other than that, I have to agree with you. I don't do requests from people I'm not on at least acquaintance basis. I'd only accept a request from someone I've talked to several times before, whose sanity I can verify.

I honestly don't know what to say, JD. That really sucks. What happened to you is bizarre, almost horror story-like (and considering this is you we're talking about, that's rather ironic, as well!), but it's something that may ring true to many people. I'd say that the vast majority of authors crave feedback like that, and most would find themselves agreeing with what you did, only to be horrified at what happened later. It's good that you posted this. If it was up to me, I'd make it a sticky/pinned topic and say "read and learn." I think that this is a valuable lesson for anyone, regardless of outlook or experience.

So, I guess I just wanted to say "thanks for sharing." And yeah, don't let it get to you. It's not your fault. It's like trying to blame the dildo manufacturing company for the actions of a man who beat his sister to death with one. You can't be held accountable for how fucked up other people are.

I can see there's a funny side, but everytime I think about it all it comes back to the poor woman finding all this stuff out about how her brother feels and thinks. Give me a few weeks I'll be totally laughing at the unexpected weirdness of it all.

Requests known fictional characters are still good - I'm pretty sure this forum's KZ-01 isn't Felicia Hardy's brother, say, so I'm not worried about that story :)

Doing even regular request stories for people has twisted me up inside, even for complete fiction. I can't imagine later finding out that it led to such a horrible situation. Sadly(?), it's easy to imagine that the sister could have had different feelings than we assume, even though it would be impossible to not at least show great shock and disgust.

On second thought, that could make for a great meta-story where the sister finds his written fantasies and then acts it out with him, though never admitting that she found the stories. The real-life author would have to use names that absolutely don't exist! Also, could be actually be written as a comedy too? (Shadowknight? ;))

The creepiest thing I've ever heard was about a friend who does "more than risqué" cartoon fan-art (along with clean stuff too): he received e-mail from a father asking that he draw his young daughter in cartoon style, but nothing ecchi in the request. He wrote back that he wouldn't do it for the requestor's own good, since if anyone who saw it found out what else the artists draws then the father could get screwed. Of course, my friend was also worried that it could eventually bite him in the butt too. Potential disaster avoided.

I think you have the right attitude going forward, and I'm glad it isn't going to change what kinds of things you'll write about.

Some parents have weird ideas about what's a good idea to put their kids in for. And that goes double for celebrity parents. Your friend's reaction was the smart one!

I doubt anybody would want to act out that story. Maybe a big fan of violent movies.

Oddly, I'm sure I read a story once about a teenager reading his older sister's diary, finding she wanted to screw him, and them ending up getting it on... now I kinda wanna go look for it. Was a pretty good story. Bah.

I can see there's a funny side, but everytime I think about it all it comes back to the poor woman finding all this stuff out about how her brother feels and thinks. Give me a few weeks I'll be totally laughing at the unexpected weirdness of it all.

Requests known fictional characters are still good - I'm pretty sure this forum's KZ-01 isn't Felicia Hardy's brother, say, so I'm not worried about that story :)

Yeah, that's true, but then again... unless she was a COMPLETE idiot, she probably had an inkling already. This was just confirmation.

Hah, good point on that last bit.

Doing even regular request stories for people has twisted me up inside, even for complete fiction. I can't imagine later finding out that it led to such a horrible situation. Sadly(?), it's easy to imagine that the sister could have had different feelings than we assume, even though it would be impossible to not at least show great shock and disgust.

On second thought, that could make for a great meta-story where the sister finds his written fantasies and then acts it out with him, though never admitting that she found the stories. The real-life author would have to use names that absolutely don't exist! Also, could be actually be written as a comedy too? (Shadowknight? ;))

The creepiest thing I've ever heard was about a friend who does "more than risqué" cartoon fan-art (along with clean stuff too): he received e-mail from a father asking that he draw his young daughter in cartoon style, but nothing ecchi in the request. He wrote back that he wouldn't do it for the requestor's own good, since if anyone who saw it found out what else the artists draws then the father could get screwed. Of course, my friend was also worried that it could eventually bite him in the butt too. Potential disaster avoided.

I think you have the right attitude going forward, and I'm glad it isn't going to change what kinds of things you'll write about.

Hahahah, funny as that sounds, I think I'll pass. With my luck, someone will stumble upon that story and be utterly convinced it was written by a person they know. And then I'll be actually ruining lives without being there at all!

But yes, I agree with JD. Your friend did the right thing.

• 7 years later...

Good question…. a bit of google fu & a couple other search engines on the names shows it’s no longer coming up in searches so it’s gone and forgotten until one of the people who copied it at the time (There’s always folks who do, even if they shouldn’t) reposts it, I guess.

I’ve re-written some of my old RPF stories to be non RPF/fanfiction stories – leading to the always hilarious accusations of stealing from myself despite note at start –  but given the circumstances I don’t think I’d re-write those ones.

That’s the most epic story disaster I’ve ever read about happening to someone. That family’s life is never going to be the same after that shit show, all because Brother Dearest made a request that involved way too many personal details.