Click Here!

Cure for Type 1 Diabetes

StoryJunkie

Their loss red. Prolly would have gotten to it sooner ifn youda been there.

My family is genetically prone to Type II, so it's not quite the same kettle of fish, and hey, shouldn you not drink so much considering the implications? Thought Type 1's weren't 'llowd ta drink.

As someone who has Type 1 diabetes and has since she was 2yrs old... I've heard all this before. I find it really hard to get my hopes up about anything. Its great that they've figured out one more thing, but I've been promised a cure so many times, I've become a bit bitter about it.

When I was five, they said they were ten years from a cure. When I was fifteen they said they were five years from a cure. I'm twenty five now. Forgive me. I'm not buying it anymore.

And as for "Type 1s" not being able to drink. That's crap. Yes you should be careful. Yes, you have to think about it before hand, and make sure you've balanced everything out. But trust me, drinking isn't the most horrible thing a diabetic can do.

Sorry to drag everything down guys. I've had a bit of a crappy night. sad.gif

it appears it is eye who have done the dragging.

I didn't consider the fact that you've been drowning in false hope for so long...I'm so sorry. sorcerer.gif I wish I were magical.

I didn't consider the fact that you've been drowning in false hope for so long...I'm so sorry. sorcerer.gif I wish I were magical.

I wish you were too SJ! smile.gif

But don't feel bad, its not really false hope... its more... well, getting too excited prematurely. unsure.gif Okay that didn't come out right!

Oh you know what I mean! laugh.gif

I couldn't agree more! biggrin.gif

But reading back... I'd just like to point out, I am not trying to belittle what these people have done! Really! It is amazing! And I just noticed that I came off a little bit like "yeah, whatever... been there done that." And that wasn't my intent at all! Yes, they have gotten a step closer, but who knows how many more steps there are between what they've discovered and a cure.

I've had Type 2 for about 7-8 years now. Fortunately, I don't have a history for Type 1. Either way, I'm with daz on this. I've been fed so much bullshit about upcoming cures for different disorders that I really don't care anymore.

And another thing: I've been a patient at the Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto. That was some of the worst treatment I have ever gotten in my entire life (including a third-world country) and I'm not alone in that. The majority of fellow patients that I've met have made the same complaint. Especially for diabetes, cholesterol, anemia, and hormonal disorders. They basically drew my blood 19 times in one day, then asked for a 20th sample in the evening because they needed to test for one more thing. Never mind the fact that I was as pale as a sheet with an odd gray pallor, and I couldn't stand up without assistance.

I refused to give another sample, and my parents backed me up on that. The last sample had been taken half an hour before, so it should have been sufficient (I wouldn't know - my parents are the biochemists). My parents also refused to give consent for overnight observation.

After that, they kept talking down to me from the get-go as if I were an idiot and they mocked my fear of needles. Makes you wonder how older teens tolerated the first and younger children dealt with the second.

Sorry about ranting. It's just that my history with them is an extremely bitter memory. I truly do hope that they find better treatments for diabetes, but every time they're stupid enough to mention the word "cure" as in the ultimate one, or mention how "wonderful" sick.gif" Sick Kids is, I just wanna scream. As far as I'm concerned, don't bother mentioning the word "cure" until after you've proven that it works on more than one human.

Okay, now I didn't actually read the article SJ posted, because, well, it was all over the news here in Calgary (mainly because the University here wanted to tell everyone that they were better than the researchers up in Edmonton but that's not my point). The funny thing is, the faculties they mention (SK in Toronto, U of C, and whatever the American place was) well, I've never heard anyone with diabetes praise them. I will however praise the University of Alberta in Edmonton. The treatment I received there over the years (and believe me, there was a lot of it) was great, the staff was always excellent, I never had a problem. Now, the Calgary hospitals I've been to... that's a different story. I had to draw up my own dose of insulin, people. The nurse couldn't do it properly. ohmy.gif I thank god I was an adult by the time I moved here and able to stand up for myself!

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest too, since reading Eve's fun in Toronto.