Click Here!

...They forgot?

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

If there's one thing in a review that irks me is when the reviewer starts writing about things that don't have anything to do with the story in SOME way...such as talking about WHY they didn't review the last chapter, going into detail about their personal life, telling me that they're sick today and all that. I don't mind people coming to me with this stuff, but perhaps an IM or an email would be better suited than my review page. I've gotten reviews that are extremely long (I love long reviews, but only when they pertain to my story) but they're only about some pointless stuff and then maybe a "good story, update soon" tagged at the end.

Oh yeah, hate those. I haven't gotten any yet, but what annoys me is when I'm reading a fic and the author leaves some random personal notes at the end, and someone reviews with

"Wow, so the feds are coming after your cousin? Yeah, he really does have issues. Poor guy, I hope you help him pull through his problems. You know, I have a friend who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows someone in the government, so maybe I can have him put in a good word about your cousin or something. And tell Freddy to stay off the crack, that stuff is seriously bad for you.

Great chapter, update soon!"

...And then the author replies to the reviewer, not with an e-mail or a PM or whatever, but in the author's notes at the beginning of the next chapter! All I can do is cry and say "I just came here to read some stories..."

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few devoted readers who reviewed my stories multiple times, but usually it's after I updated. I also have a tendency to ask for opinions on how my story should proceed plot wise and some of these readers do respond to them.

Hey, in any case, it boosts review count right? can't hurt.

• 2 months later...

i am a serie reviewer, but I only review after a new update. the first review to a story is usually one that comments on the whole story until then and after that I review every chapter that follows, usually commenting on the new chap.

I also have a friend of mine who is a pretty great writer and she is my serie reviewer for one of my stories. I love reading her reviews every time because she also helps me to improve my writing. Apart from her I don't have people who review much. Though I hope I will get more in the future.

• 5 months later...

Once upon a time, I had been reading two fics that seemed to be updated on the same day, though the authors are different. I accidentally reviewed the wrong fic one day and I was specific, so if the author or other readers ever read that review, it had probably made no sense at all. I have short term memory issues, so something like that is really embarassing. I'm terrible at leaving reviews, though. As an author and someone who absolutely loves serial reviews, I'm ashamed of myself.

• 5 months later...

LOL - All those previous comments gave me a good giggle. ;)

I have serial reviewers that say something after each time they read a new chapter or two. They always say something about the chapter they read so I don't really mind so much.

Never had the other sort who are just forgetful. I know I've read alot of stories, but when I re-read I generally recognise the story after a few paragraphs or chapters.

People are strange. I should know I'm stranger than most. :blink:

• 11 months later...

I don't mind if a reader reviews multiple times if each time they give me something new to work with, a helpful critique or pointing out a spelling error, something like that. However, if it was the same old "nice work, please update soon" every time then that would get irritating.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind if a reader reviews multiple times if each time they give me something new to work with, a helpful critique or pointing out a spelling error, something like that.

I agree with this, although I do experience disappointment each time I get emailed a review to find it is from the same person. I long to have multiple reviews from different people. I feel as if I'm receiving more varied feedback that way. My story may impress one person that likes to let me know they appreciate what I've done but it doesn't satisfy the need to reach a much larger audience.