Click Here!

It's FINISHED!

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

PWP one-shots are great for a quick read, and I've seen reviews left where readers ask when's the next update? when it's clearly labeled "one-shot smut fic." How dense can you get? blink.gif

I've actually started posting up little things at the bottom stating that the story is FINISHED and that asking for an update is futile. pinch.gif 'Cause, you know, the little "End" lable at the bottom of the story wasn't enough... idiots...

I've actually started posting up little things at the bottom stating that the story is FINISHED and that asking for an update is futile. pinch.gif 'Cause, you know, the little "End" lable at the bottom of the story wasn't enough... idiots...

laugh.gif Maybe I should start doing that instead of passively stewing in my vast irritation. I've been getting that crap since I started really, truly writing (again).

Although somehow I find the sequel plead worse. I ended up beating a dead horse of a plotline to a maggoty pulp due to people begging for sequels and the fact that I used to care about pleasing my fans. (within reason, of course.)

Oh, please do not get me started on peopel asking me to update stories that are FINISHED! And have obviously been finished for months. Because I just got another request for that, and I wanted to hunt down that idiot reviewer and beat the living crap out of him/her. And unless I'm feeling in the mood and I have a plot worked out in my head, I ignore both requests for sequels and requests for certain character pairings. I just do what I want, and if the readers like it that's good. If not...well. *shrugs*

There's only one time when reviewers influenced me to write a sequal, and really, I was already planning on it anyway. Really, what they did was motivate me. I sometimes wonder if I got more positive feedback on my unfinished works if I'd be able to finish them. It seems to work for a lot of writers -shrugs-

• 5 weeks later...
Guest COOKiEM0NSTER

I've never got a review asking for the sex scene, but i have gotten reviewers asking when the next chapter is coming when the story is clearly labelled PWP. Goes to show that some people don't pay attention to a/n's and whatnot. I myself enjoy reading and writing one-shots, althought mainly because my attention span doesn't allow for anything much longer.

I enjoy smut scenes as much as the next person, but i understand that a plot needs to be built in some stories before they can continue. I think there needs to be a balance between both though. Some stories are written wonderfully and then the sex scene runs for a paragraph or two and that's it. It's dissapointing to read.

Fanbrats.... I can't help but feel myself being slightly lumped into this category. Albiet my stories have been updated at an alarmingly slow rate, but i believe some complaints have made themselves quite clear.

The shortening of names are rather annoying unless it can be validated and not just thrown into sentences because some people are perhaps a little too lazy to type the whole name. lol.

• 3 weeks later...
The other point I wanted to add too was the whole "please update" review.  Listen, that's not what the reviews are for.  I mean if you want to tack one onto the end of a "I loved it" or "I hated it" (why you would want to if you hated it escapes me, but I've seen it) then that's fine, but if the author has a lot on his/her plate and writing isn't their only responsibility there is no use making them feel guilty and turn into a micro manager (I'm thinking about going to rehab for that by the way).

I used to get that a lot when I regularily posted on ff.net, and I usually just rolled my eyes and move don to the next review. What irritated me more than anything is that I usually update every day if I'm posting on a multi-chaptered fic (if it's possible. "Strange Bedfellows" was a rarity in experimentation) and I'd recognize the same idiots asking me to "update soon!" over and over again. It's like, "dumbasses! Have you not noticed that a new chapter shows up every day? Are you so blind that you have not figured out the pattern yet?!

I frikkin hate the "update soon" thing pinch.gif I'll update when I bloody update, assholes! And the more people poke, the more annoyed I get, and the less likely I am to update 'cause then I'm not really in the mood to do so.

What really gets me though, and maybe I'm just an attention hog, is that a lot of the times people aren't willing to even leave a review, and when they do it really doesn't say anything. I get the "update soon" crap but not the "that knocked my socks off" heaven more times than not. I was having a bit of a problem with my Realms of Reality (selfless plug blush.gif ) fic, well actually lately it's been all of them, that if I don't see a review it's hard for my muses to sit my butt in the chair... you try telling Squall and Seifer "not tonight" - it ain't pretty.

I used to get that a lot when I regularily posted on ff.net, and I usually just rolled my eyes and move don to the next review.  What irritated me more than anything is that I usually update every day if I'm posting on a multi-chaptered fic (if it's possible.  "Strange Bedfellows" was a rarity in experimentation) and I'd recognize the same idiots asking me to "update soon!" over and over again.  It's like, "dumbasses!  Have you not noticed that a new chapter shows up every day?  Are you so blind that you have not figured out the pattern yet?!

My favorites are the people who write in their review, 'I can't wait until you update,' on a fic that is finished. Like they didn't notice the last chapter said THE END. I even had *complete* in the summary and they still wanted more.

I too have had my share of people who can't read the "The End" or Complete. I guess there's always room for hope in people's lives. That's the only reason I can come up with for those kinds of reviews. It's like they think if they post something like that enough you'll break the lock on the perfectly good fic and spoil it with a new chapter that's just not as good as the rest of it.

I just have to ask because you peaked my curriosity - what's the pairing? makeout.gif

It's for Naruto, the girl writes and wanted me to wright GaaraNeji. She also wanted SasukeNaruto, but that's less annoying.

It pisses me off when people do that pinch.gif If you want that flippin' pairing, find a story with that pairing!

I think... and maybe this is me just trying to rationalize the stupidity of some people, that when someone leaves a review like "Update soon!" They are trying to be motivating. Now, granted, its a pretty shitty way to go about it and it's freakin' maddening as an author, but I think they mean well...

Of course, how much longer does it really take to type up something a little more intelligent? Not long at all. Even something as simple as "I really enjoyed your story" is better than an "Update soon".

And of course, if they want to beg and plead for an update on a FINISHED STORY(!!!) well, everyone's free to torture themselves in whatever way they like, so hey! Enjoy to pain of waiting, cuz it's definitely going to last! whip.gif

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of comments that fit this catagory are just a way of indicating "I want more of the same fandom/pairing/themes etc" from you, or "I want to see you writing more in general" as a method of encouragement rather than "Yes, I see that all main and sub characters are dead and that a matter/anti-matter explosion has destroyed everything in their universe leaving a barren nothingness in which nothing further could exist. Write more!"

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of comments that fit this catagory are just a way of indicating "I want more of the same fandom/pairing/themes etc" from you, or "I want to see you writing more in general" as a method of encouragement rather than "Yes, I see that all main and sub characters are dead and that a matter/anti-matter explosion has destroyed everything in their universe leaving a barren nothingness in which nothing further could exist. Write more!"

Maybe, in that case... write about the dirt! biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Maybe, in that case... write about the dirt! biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Oh yes...

"The dirt was gritty, plowing in the wind scattering over the once populated Earth. However, the dirt did not last for a meteor came and blew everything to nothing."

I frikkin hate the "update soon" thing pinch.gif I'll update when I bloody update, assholes! And the more people poke, the more annoyed I get, and the less likely I am to update 'cause then I'm not really in the mood to do so.

I feel so damn lucky with my WIP. My other lengthy fics rarely got reviews (something I bitched about once or twice) but this one seems to have people interested. One person always comments on each chapter and it's so satisfying to know that they've actually read it and certain things strike them enough to mention them. I have had "can't wait for next update" or "hope you update soon", from other people, but it's always the capper to some other comment. But if I had the reviews you do Pix, that would drive me f*ckin' nuts as well. Face it, you like to torture them for their impudence! whip.gif

When I finish a story, I always update my summary with "Completed", but because of the way I'll be ending this fic, I'll definitely be putting ~~~END~~~ at the bottom of the last chapter, just to ward off any of those "update soon" requests. I was posting the first six chapters pretty quick, one a week, but in my profile (which people probably don't even read), I say that the story is still a WIP and that updates may slow down, but gave them something of a time frame, three weeks max between chapters. That way, they know I haven't stopped and I keep myself to a reasonable deadline. cool.gif

Guest DarkAvenger

Haha, "The End" never works, nor does "The End"... trust me, lol. And the fact that the summaries all say "COMPLETE"...

No, none of that has never stopped a single one of the reviewers who beg for more to the story, even demand I add to it, whine that it can't be over yet, or worse, yowl that I should write a sequel about -insert minor pairing from the story here-. *spazzes*

I agree. I got only one review for the last but one chapter of this fic I'm writing, and all it says is update soon. *Screams loudly while pulling hair out*

sick.gif At least you got a review at all though! lol That's one thing about writing in originals that's making me want to scream and throw temper tantrums. crying.gif I don't even get "update soon" anymore! All I get is some hits and a sick feeling that my story must have sucked butt or why else would they have run off without saying a word?

Gah... did I just basically say I wanted people to at least say "update soon"? blink.gif Jesum... I used to be in the crowd of people yelling about how that was as good as not reviewing and if that's all you're gonna say, then don't bother at all! lol And now I'm sitting here whining cause I don't even get that anymore. ROFL That'll teach me!

I haven't written in Naruto in months and I still get reviews periodically saying: "This was great do pairing xy please" if I'm lucky, usually I'm not and am in fact told that I HAVE TO DO THIS PAIR!!!!!!!111111shift!!!!!! I fucking hate it, I considered taking it down just so no one would ask me any more but I know there are some legitimate readers out there who want some het on the Naruto site and are smart enough to follow the "No longer updating" mark in the summary.

On my one Inuyasha story, I got a lot of "write more" reviews. I am sorry that people aren't happy with what I just finished writing, but I will not be adding more to it. I might write a sequel someday, but there was no more to that part of the story.

The reviews that really annoy me are the ones where the people write flames, fail to sign said flames, and then ask me to write more. *Grr!*

Anyway, as to the why people can't write more intelligent statements than "update soon," I can only leave you with this consolation:

I think some of these people are the same ones, who when they write stories, mis-spell words like "complete."

Maybe that is why they are unable to comprehend when a story is done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CreepingKate

I've gotten that too. At the end of "That Darned Brat!" some people asked for another chapter in which Ed gives in to Shou. Or they just say "please update soon!" &nsbp; &nsbp; blink.gif Geh...

Guest CreepingKate

The first time I saw so many misspellings in a review, I truly thought the writer was dyslexic, or just plain illiterate (shit, I think I misspelled "illiterate". How mortifying). Then I discovered it's a TREND among people who textmessage. Here's hoping it dies almost as quickly as the "flash mob" fad.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest candescence

Yeah, I get notes from 'anon' telling me to update when the fic is clearly done, drives me nuts!

I suppose it is better than nothing, but it makes me think that maybe they didn't read it at all to begin with if they do not notice it is done. Plus I get so excited when I see that I have a review that it seems a bit of a letdown for it to be so general.

But you know what? I have one fic with almost 2000 hits, five stars and not one review! I think on that one I would welcome a write more, LOL!! tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be the voice of bitchyness here, but have you considered the fact that maybe you're getting such comments because your ending wasn't wrapped up properly? I read this beautiful fanfic a couple of years back, ran across it again recently and thought 'yay, the author must have completed it by now.' I reread the whole thing, only to find that no, it had already been completed the first time I had read it, only the way it had ended had been so abrupt and left so many elements unfinished that till this day I would like to hear a proper ending to it. And this was a brilliant, well written fic; the author just obviously had problems in writing endings because her beginning and middle were wonderful.

I'm not saying that is necessarily the case with every reviewer that is going 'update' on a finished piece, but it never hurts to look at your fic again and make sure everything is tied up properly. ^^