Click Here!

Extra Extra! Read All About It!

ApolloImperium

I am pleased to announce that AFF has updated the Add a story/Chapter feature! Now instead of having to remember what coding works with the archive, we have a Rich Text Editor to help with all your uploading and formatting needs!

For more information, please check out the following topic: http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/19901-rich-text-editor-added/

*glomps* Thank you! I hate coding lol

Guest LadyMoonStone

I love this site.It becomes better each time I come here.You all have done a wonderful job and a lot of the authors should write professionally.They are just that good.

I find this incredibly small minded and stupid but when I liked AFF on Facebook three "friends" unfriended me. Then they blocked me because they said I was a dirty minded pervert.Good thing I like being a dirty minded pervert or I'd be a lot more upset. :rolleyes:

And thank you Manta2g for explaining a glomp to me.Now,to find someone to glomp..... :)

Edited by LadyMoonStone

Even though I'm not a writer, I'm very glad for the change, because a database that takes up less space has to have more stability to it - at least when we're talking about something 7.7GB and growing on software that was never meant to support 1GB. I would just like to profusely thank manta2g for this. thanx.gif

For anyone else who used Word and exported as html -

Select the story in question-

Select edit chapter-

Open the chapter in the rte-

Click "edit chapter"

This fixes most of the issues automatically. However, it's best if you doublecheck, and tweak where you may need to. You'll need to do this for each chapter that was uploaded as a Word exported html file.

I actually liked that fact we didn't have the Rich Text Editor here. Could you have the option of using the Rich Text or the old way? I'm probably in the minority on this one since I'm used to code anyway and type it automatically. I don't like FanFiction's Rich Text Editor, but the new one here doesn't frustrate me as much as theirs does, so that's a win on that front. But I really miss the old text field!!!

By adding the rich text editor, we relaxed certain restrictions within a core file. By adding back a plain text editor field, we would open up the archive even more than it already was (with html uploads) to malicious code injections. So, no, we can't add that back.

I know it's not any of your faults, but whenever I try to edit my works this annoying pop-up appears asking me if I want to stop running the script or else my computer could become unrespondsive (which it then does). My computer is just old and slow. So it has nothing to do with anything you've done. Actually I understand your reasons for changing to a Rich Text Editor. It's just now my computer slows to the point of almost freezing up if I even try to edit one of my stories. Like I said, I know my computer's on the old side of things but I don't have this problem with the editor over at fanfiction.net.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through my little rant/pout. I keep trying to edit my story and it just doesn't want to work. It's enough to frustrate me to tears. :cry:

You have to wait a bit, for it to catch up to what the RTE is doing. Have a question for you though, were all your chapters added as Word exported html? If so, there may be something I have to do before you can properly pull up the chapters. Let me know, and then I'll look.

You have to wait a bit, for it to catch up to what the RTE is doing. Have a question for you though, were all your chapters added as Word exported html? If so, there may be something I have to do before you can properly pull up the chapters. Let me know, and then I'll look.

What I would do was copy them (frow WordPad, nothing fancy) and paste them in the text area, then post the chapter. Like I said, I think it has more to do with my computer than actual problems with the site.

I can verify that older computers don't care for the RTE. I do most of my writing on an old laptop, for familiarity as much as anything, and used to be able to upload to the site from it. I can now, but it runs extremely slowly (many minutes between each click to react) and I found that trying to paste directly from wordpad rtf adds an extra line between each paragraph, which then was taking a very long time to edit out so I had to cancel uploading.

Had a similar problem with the change to the new forum software - which is why my earlier prompts were often posted from "jaydeeloggedout" 'cos clicking to log in seemed to take too long! The forum hardly loads at all since the shoutbox/sidebars so I stopped coming on the laptop :)

This isn't really an issue for me because I can just send a copy to the newer PC and upload from there, but I don't know what percentage of users are accessing from older PCs as their sole access, who may find it slowing down to frustrating levels, so I thought I'd better just offer confirmation of K.Blood's experiance.

On the whole though I am in favour of the RTE functionality and remain grateful for it being added.

I'm going to tinker with the config file after work today, and see about the extra line spacing. From what it looks like, what it's doing is adding a line before and after a paragraph, not just after a paragraph, which is default in most apps.

For the speed issue, there are two factors at work here. One is outdated java itself. If your java is not current, you will have this issue.

The other is where the files were uploaded after a Word export to html. Most of these inserts are so full of garbage html, it just takes awhile for the editor to strip it out. Because that's exactly what it's doing. Is CLEANING all the garbage out of the html insert. Something else I've found, is that in some of these for instances, there's so much garbage inserted before you even have the first line (often 10 lines of html code or more which do nothing), that it slows it down even further. If you find it doesn't load at all, let me know and I can look at the record. I remove those first ten plus lines, and the chapters load without issue. I know, because I've checked. But, to do this, means I have to go in to the db record and strip it out.

Guest Robin_Mask

I know it's not any of your faults, but whenever I try to edit my works this annoying pop-up appears asking me if I want to stop running the script or else my computer could become unrespondsive (which it then does). My computer is just old and slow. So it has nothing to do with anything you've done. Actually I understand your reasons for changing to a Rich Text Editor. It's just now my computer slows to the point of almost freezing up if I even try to edit one of my stories. Like I said, I know my computer's on the old side of things but I don't have this problem with the editor over at fanfiction.net.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through my little rant/pout. I keep trying to edit my story and it just doesn't want to work. It's enough to frustrate me to tears. :cry:

I have a similiar issue, as here I have extremely slow internet and the same script warning comes up. I found - personally - that if you click 'yes', as in to stop running the script, that the site and editting section run absolutely fine and nothing actually happens from not running the script. When editting that message comes up three times for me, which can be annoying, but ultimately it seems to work fine :) I'd recomend just stop running the script, because I don't see any benefit in running it anyway, lol.