Click Here!

Stupid Laws still on the books!

ApolloImperium

*giggles* So someone sent me this link and I had to share. What's the stupidest law in your state?

Stupid Laws

My fav for my state:

Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.

Crap - I don't think I can take my car apart that quickly!

Here's one from Warsaw, Indiana

No one may throw an old computer across the street at their neighbor.

Full statute

Sec. 54-61. Throwing objects across streets, alleys, sidewalks and other public places.

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw any snowball, stone or other hard substance, or any other missile along, across or over any street, alley, sidewalk or other public place within the limits of the city.

(Code 1974, � 18-2)

Got from this site

I don't remember where I got this one:

"It is illegal for men to be seen in public in a strapless dress"

Makes me wonder, if it has straps, is it not illegal anymore? ^^

Under Georgia law, it is illegal to use "obscene and vulgar or profane language in the presence of a female or of a male under the age of 14."

Time article

All sex toys are banned.

Chitwood, Tim. "Toying With Issues". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. 16 Oct. 2002.

Adult bookstores may not sell alcohol.

Sec. 6-11-21. Alcoholic beverages--Prohibition, exceptions. (a) No person, association, partnership, corporation, or other entity licensed under chapter 6-11 (section 6-11-1 et seq.) of the Code of Athens-Clarke County, Georgia, after the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section shall serve, sell, distribute or suffer the consumption or possession of any intoxicating liquor, beer or wine or controlled substance upon the premises of any licensee. Any licensee whose license was granted prior to the adoption of this amendment shall not be subject to the amendment until January 1, 1998, at which time all licensees within Athens-Clarke County shall be subject to this provision, including those licensees licensed before the effective date hereof. (b) This section shall not apply to nor prohibit the live performance of legitimate plays, operas, ballets at mainstream theaters, concert halls, museums or educational institutions holding a license, which derive less than 20 percent of its gross receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages. (Ord. of 11-4-97, § 2)

West Virginia:

Unmarried couples who live together and “lewdly associate” with one another may face up to a year in prison.

full text:

61-8-4. Lewd and lascivious cohabitation and conduct; penalty; when persons presumed to be unmarried.

If any persons, not married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or, whether married or not, be guilty of open or gross lewdness and lasciviousness, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be fined not less than fifty dollars, and may, in the discretion of the court, be imprisoned not exceeding six months, and, upon a repetition of the offense, they shall, upon conviction, be confined in jail not less than six nor more than twelve months. In prosecutions for adultery and fornication, and for lewdly and lasciviously cohabiting together, the persons named in the indictment shall be presumed to be unmarried persons in the absence of proof to the contrary.

There's no data on this one - but :blink:

http://www.stupidlaws.com/it-is-illegal-to-flick-boogers-into-the-wind/

Alabama:

In-bred kids -

Section 30-1-3

Issue of incestuous marriages not deemed illegitimate.

The issue of any incestuous marriage, before the same is annulled, shall not be deemed illegitimate.

(Code 1852, §1945; Code 1867, §2334; Code 1876, §2673; Code 1886, §2310; Code 1896, §2840; Code 1907, §4880; Code 1923, §8994; Code 1940, T. 34, §3.)

Public spitting

Section 9.08.010 Spitting.

It is unlawful for any person to spit upon the sidewalks, or upon the floors of places of worship, buses, public halls, theaters or other public places.(Ord. 63A � 3-12, 1977)

Tennessee:

And, a tidbit for you: skunk season is open year round with no bag limit in TN

70-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to import, possess, or cause to be imported into this state any type of live skunk, or to sell, barter, exchange or otherwise transfer any live skunk, except that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide zoological parks and research institutions.

(b) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1974, ch. 622, � 1; 1982, ch. 738, � 31; T.C.A., � 51-514; Acts 1989, ch. 591, � 113.]

From Oregon:

One may not box with a kangaroo.
It is illegal to predict the future.
It is against the law for animals to have sex in the city limits.
One may not bathe without wearing "suitable clothing," i.e., that which covers one's body from neck to knee.
Edited by Techno-Ninja

Friend tied a horse to a parking meter and put in some quarters after a parade ... talked the cop out of the ticket using the PA Motor Vehicle Code that treats horses as motor vehicles because of the Amish. :P

And, for my fellow Pennsylvanians, did you know that a rider can be cited for DUI on a horse? Now, I had NO part of that enlightening experience, lol.

The clever types can be fun to have around. :D

Also, for the sake of staying on topic, here's some from California:

It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.

But if the strap is less than 2 inches wide, its fine, consent or not? What if it's not a strap, but a meat tenderizer for example? Is that okay too? :rolleyes:

It is illegal to molest butterflies.

I have a friend from California who is scared of butterflies, so I don't have to worry about him breaking this law any time soon.

Edited by Techno-Ninja

The clever types can be fun to have around. :D

Also, for the sake of staying on topic, here's some from California:

But if the strap is less than 2 inches wide, its fine, consent or not? What if it's not a strap, but a meat tenderizer for example? Is that okay too? :rolleyes:

I have a friend from California who is scared of butterflies, so I don't have to worry about him breaking this law any time soon.

Cal [not staying on topic]

:fear:

I was hiking once on top of high narrow ridge at the top of a hill, and a large flock of white butterflys literally ran me down. But it didn't hurt though, it only made me giggle as they flew all around me and they brush up against me real close and personal, nor did they make the malicious attemp to knock me from the ridge... but persistantly they wanted to head exactly in same direction I was coming from and they didn't want to get out of my way. I guess if your going to have a collision with something... butterflys are a cool choice! Cal

Edited by Calanthee

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.