Click Here!

Anyone doing a seasonal special?

Guest Knorg

There was a time when, every time something seasonal came up (new year, Halloween, Peterborough Beer Festival, the one with Santa and the little Jewish kid) I'd say strongly and with good intention that I was going to write a story for the day. Deadline set, I'd promptly forget about it. So these days, I don't bother. So many unused plots... But enough about me...

You lot working on anything seasonal?

Do you usually?

Do you generally put as much effort in as for a non seasonal special?

And do you often finish on time?

Feel free to chip in with thoughts unrelated to the above questions and, of course, resurrect the thread when another seasonal event pops up with the inevitability of a fresh bout of herpes.

I don't like working with time constraints and specific subject-matter rules when it comes to creative writing. That's why I don't tend to write holiday specials if I don't have to.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against writing an occasional holiday special, but don't expect me to post during the right holiday or by the time the holiday rolls around. If I do, you're likely to get a crappy rushed job with great manipulation of the English language and a creative plot but the characters aren't well-written, and there's a lot of plot holes regarding settings and time-flow. In short "you show promise but you're not living up to your potential."

In short, I'd rather avoid a rushed-job holiday special unless I hit a stroke of inspiration. But that's just me. There's plenty of people who are way better at writing holiday specials or writing something quickly without compromising quality.

I'll pin this topic every time a major holiday rolls around, OK? That way, people are bound to remember.

I generally don't write holiday specials, though I guess I was vaguely inspired by the season with my current project involving a snowstorm. unsure.gif

Sometimes I consider it but when i try to force my writing and the characters to bow to a certain subject matter, I freeze up. Maybe if it's a vague challenge, I'm fine but when it's like "must invole this that and the other thing" my brain freezes up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kirameki

I'm writing a few for challenge comms on LJ. (Err... probably won't finish before Christmas though dry.gif ) I also wrote some Halloween oneshots.

They are Prince of Tennis, but probably won't end up on aff.net as I rarely write smutfic anymore. I'm just no good at writing sex. sad.gif

I did make a ton of Holiday icons though. I totally wasn't procrastinating on the fics... unsure.gif

Guest kirameki
So?  You can still post fics with no sex in them here, too.  I've written several that had no more than kissing in them.  Just note that in your details.  We can always use more PoT fics.  I've written three, but since I don't concentrate on just that anime I probably won't write more th an maybe one or two more for that section.  So post your stuff, girlie, and let the rest of us read it. smile.gif

As I explained, I usually do for long running higher rated fics, but would feel guilty posting vanilla oneshots. Sometimes there's not even a kiss. It's focused solely on the tension between the characters. Maybe... if people really wouldn't mind, I'll post one or two of my favorite long-ish ones that have a little makeout.gif action. But drabbles and the like shall remain on ff.net and livejournal. think.gif

I wrote a couple of birthday specific fics in the Haru Wo Daite Ita catagory, but that's it.  I don't celebrate Christmas anyway since I'm not only a pagan I'm also extremely jaded about the whole holiday.  I buy my nieces and nephews gifts, but that's it.  If  i ever had any Christmas Spirit, I drank it long ago. wink.gif  And if you've been eating holly, Knorg, you'll be the first undead author on AFF.  laugh.gif

Ooh. I'll have to check that out. I wrote an Atobe Birthday drabble(AtoRyo-ish). Even though his birthday was in October and my fic was posted in November. I wasn't confident enough to write him then. biggrin.gif

My PoT Christmas fic is more, Atobe plans to celebrate it the Japanese way(a date wub.gif) but little does he know Ryoma has to celebrate it with his family in America. Much LOLZ should ensue. If I can ever put it down on paper. It's... difficult. I don't know enough about Christmas in Japan and need to do more research.

I wrote a couple of birthday specific fics in the Haru Wo Daite Ita catagory, but that's it. I don't celebrate Christmas anyway since I'm not only a pagan I'm also extremely jaded about the whole holiday. I buy my nieces and nephews gifts, but that's it. If i ever had any Christmas Spirit, I drank it long ago. wink.gif And if you've been eating holly, Knorg, you'll be the first undead author on AFF. laugh.gif

I'll be alright with the holly - This Belladonna will give me a good strong stomach lining.

Guest kirameki
I started on a holiday special last night...ah, New Year's counts right?  I realized that I could actually work in the whole New Year's celebration into my current fandom, so yeah.  I won't be posting it until after the turning of te new year, though.  Well, better late than never, right?

I think so. Of course I've posted late holiday special's before, myself. laugh.gif

More good fic is always nice, no matter whether the holiday it was written for has past.

Which fandom, may I ask? (curious) If that is off topic, you can always send the answer via pm. biggrin.gif

• 10 months later...
Guest orleans

Last year I published a 24-chapter story, starting on December the 1st until Christmas Day with one chapter for each day. It was some kind of Advent calender but without chocolate smile.gif bur much romance and fluff instead smile.gif

I have started a new 'calender' for this year too, and I have momentarily 9 chapters done.

I like doing such things, as a gift for the readers and for myself too, because I never know how it will end.... tongue.gif

Apart from this seasonal story, I took part in a challenge; the so-called Slashy Santa Fic Exchange. I'm curious what will become of this smile.gif

I did only three or four Halloween specials two of them sex filled, the rest not at all, just the characters enjoying Halloween.

But this year, I didn't write one. I rarely if ever write a Christmas fic. I may but it wouldn't be posted in time for Christmas that's for sure.

Beth

I did a Valentine's one-shot last year just for the hell of it. I was thinking about doing a Christmas story this year, but I have a lot on my plate in the next month, so I may or may not get around to it. Maybe I'll jot down some of it and save it for next year...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Gundam Wing fic called The Music Box Trilogy that was supposed to focus on Xmas. I told myself, I am gonna update every xmas season and will therefore be done in three years! Such a bold and naiive thought. It is five years later and i still haven't made it past the first part. I haven't given up on the fic, just the once a year concept.

Guest orleans

I'm still writing ony my Advent calender; I have managed to publish one chapter each day so far, but I still have no ideas for two chapters, for the 17. and the 22..... it's a bit annoying, because I know exactly how this story is going to end....

crying.gif

hiya.gifI hope my muses will send me some ideas....because I really want to finish this. The readers like it so far and I don't want to disappoint them.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a short m/m Christmas story for Christmas. It would have been up several days before Christmas if the cd drive to the computer that connects to the internet wasn't out, or if the computer I wrote it on had an f***ing diskette drive. Now I have to dig out my old firewire out of God knows where and when it finally gets posted it will be totally out of season. Maybe I should just wait until next year?

• 1 month later...

I love challenges, but doing them on time is a real strain for me! I actually think some of my best work has been requests, though holiday fics haven't really come up. I suppose they'd probably be equally enjoyable!