Click Here!

Harry Potter Random Observations

NightScribe

While watching Gof recently on cable, something struck me; one of those random observations you might not catch right away. When Harry's name comes out of the goblet, he's walking up to the front of the room and passes Snape. The two briefly look at each other, then Harry walks on. Later, when the teachers are arguing over whether Harry should compete, Snape basically says, yeah, it's strange, but let things play out and Dumbledore agrees.

Since book 5 was already out when they made Gof, did anyone stop to consider that when Harry passed by Snape, a little legilimency was employed? Snape knew Harry didn't put his name in the goblet and advised Dumbledore; that's why Albus agreed to Snape's suggestion.

Also, on the PoA DVD, J.K. herself was sitting with the director, and said that he foreshadowed things that would happen in later books. The big thing for me was this:

In the book, Snape was still unconscious when Lupin transformed into a werewolf, but in the film, he wasn't and didn't hesitate to physically put himself between Lupin and the kids. Does that give a hint as to what may happen in book 7? (I've seen this theory floating around on some HP sites). Was the screenplay written that way, or did the director change it? Hmmm.

And while watching SS last night, I finally caught that the mirror of Erised is the mirror of desire (spelled backwards). Am I the last dope in the world to finally notice that? D'oh!

As far as book 6, I'm convinced that the overheard conversation between Snape and Dumbledore was Snape saying, "look, dude, I'm willing to take a bullet for you. I'll break the Unbreakable Vow. I'm not gonna kill you." "Severus, dude, no way. I'm getting too old for this shit. You're a kick ass wizard and I'll have your back from the after-life. You gotta save that Malfoy kid and help out Harry."

Not eloquent, I know, but I'm convinced that's what went down. I hate having to wait to see if I'm right or way off base. biggrin.gif

Guest lightgoddess

LOL! Love the Snape/Dumbledore replay there. biggrin.gif You aren't the last person on earth to gt ther Erised thingy. I'm horrible with word games and anagrams and stuff. Apparently, I'm the last person on earth to get that. rolleyes.gif

Back to the Snape/Dumbledore convo. I think you are exactly right in what was overheard. Or, maybe it was something like:

Snape: I know I said I'd do anything for the Order, but I can not in good conscious kill you.

Dumbles: You already made a vow to me that you would do anything I asked, now you will kill me! Dammit!

Snape: I...

Dumbles: No, you'll do it and keep the Unbreakable Vow you made. I'm an old man...blah, blah, blah... you are a young, powerful wizard... blah, blah, blah... Harry Potter...blah, blah, blah... now, you'll do exactly as we planned!!

Ok, so not as funny as yours, but you get the picture...

Damn woman, where've you been? Good to see you're still with us! biggrin.gif

Knowing you, I'm sure you're busy writing some dementedly twisted Snarry torture fic. wink.gifdevil.gif hee hee. I myself am getting into the meat of an incest fic at the moment. Maybe when I'm finished with it, seeing as how I'll have no fresh ideas for a fic, I'll do parodies of key scenes, but write them in more "modern speak." That would be a hoot. laugh.gif

Guest lightgoddess

Between the opening of my own forum and spending a week in the hospital with my husband, I've been absent from a lot of places. Of course, the hospital had wireless broadband, but AFF was blocked (typical) because it fell under the SEX category of their filter, but The Silver Snitch, HP Fandom, and Forever Fandom did not. blink.gif Ha! The joke is on them there!

I've actually been collaborating with a couple of betas to get my stuff edited. I've also found an interesting AU challenge that I'm making notes on right now. biggrin.gif It's definately going to be a weird one featuring abused!Hufflepuff!Harry along side nice!Snape, evil!Shacklebolt, arrogant!Ron and lesbian!Hermione.

Guest Madapple
I finally caught that the mirror of Erised is the mirror of desire (spelled backwards). Am I the last dope in the world to finally notice that? D'oh!

Actually, you aren't the last. I wrote a fic using the inscription from the mirror of Erised and in my reviews someone congratulated me for being so clever as to think that up and putting it backwards.

As an aside, and I'm sure this is rampant on the net, but JKR has told us that Dumbledore is definitey dead, we presume it's Snape. But in Rowling's world things are seldom completely as they appear. Maybe I'm still on the denial bandwagon, but perhaps polyjuice, not pollywolly juice, was involved.

This is going to sound awful, but I really do hope that Dumbledore is really dead. If he "pulls a Gandolf" I'll be so disappointed. I'm holding on to the hope that Dumbledore had been mentoring and grooming Snape all these years to do something spectacular and/or noble. I noticed that the youngins on some of the HP sites want him back; they seem to forget that the portraits in the headmasters office can interact with living people.

Maybe I'm still on the denial bandwagon, but perhaps polyjuice, not pollywolly juice, was involved.

Are you sure I wasn't involved? ph34r.gif

As you know, I'm right there with you on the Dumbledore-can't-be-dead-it's-all-an-elaborate-deception bandwagon. I wouldn't mind seeing him alive. I also wouldn't mind seeing Snape perform some great act of self-sacrifice or heroism that stuffs a huge woolen sock into the mouths of all the Snape naysayers. biggrin.gif

Now noting random things about the movies is one of my specialties. I’m especially good at thinking that the way Snape’s left hand rests on the table in SS indicates his allegiance to the Order and that the opening of POA, when Harry can’t get his wand to work, signifies his future troubles with erectile dysfunction. laugh.gif

Seriously, I read far too much into the movies and the books. I agree with you about the Legilimency thing, though. If we apply the knowledge we’ve gained from subsequent books, what do the previous books/movies tell us? That we still haven’t read book 7, but when we do, Snape will be vindicated! That’s my conclusion anyhow.

I can see it now...

Dumbledore: *hops out of fireplace* Behold! I'm not dead!

Snape and Draco cuddling in Snapes bedroom: AHH!

Dumbledore: My GOD!

*all pause*

Dumbledore: May I join you? *throws off cloak to reveal all his, er, 'bits'*

Draco: *screams*

Snape: *Faints*

Dumbledore: *stands their oiling himself up* Hmmm, I guess we'll have to figure out a three way here...

Ahem, sorry. Not enough sleep and finals fast approaching *coughs*

Well, if 'they' are gonna bring anybody back, it had better be Sirius, damnit! There's still that second invisibility cloak to be accounted for! I am soooo convinced that Dumbledore told Sirius to pretend to 'die' in order for Dumbledore to continue his twisted experiment on Harry to see wither dark wizards are 'Nature Vs. Nuture' in his Victorian frame of mind!

• 1 month later...
And while watching SS last night, I finally caught that the mirror of Erised is the mirror of desire (spelled backwards). Am I the last dope in the world to finally notice that? D'oh!

Actually no you're not. lol I had to have my 12 year old nephew (who was like 11 at the time) explain it to me! He said "It's something spelt backwards." and then I figured it out! If anyone is a dope it's me! At least you caught it on your own! I had to have help from a little kid!

• 3 weeks later...

I worked it out three years ago the Erised thing... but then I love word play and anagrams.

I hope NEITHER Dumbledore NOR Sirius come back... I hated Sirius and just found that he was cluttering up the plot with nothing useful to do; so, that's why he was killed off; he did what he had to do... mainly escape Azkaban and die fighting.

I don't like it really when authors kill of a character only to bring him back later. That's one of my pet hates. The only instance I like it in is Aslan in CoN LWW; but then that was supposed to be allegorical of Jesus death and subsequent ressurrection. If a character is unknown to be dead in the first place then fair enough but SB died in the Department of Mysteries in the Veil of Death... so that's proof enough that he is dead; and if he isn't dead then why didn't he pop up some time during book 6? He's dead, and besides Jo has confirmed that herself; she has also said several times that he isn't coming back.

Gandalf didn't die; he was flung into a pit but he didn't die; he fought the Balrog; he battled and laid exhausted when he defeated the Balrog the Higher Authority decided to promote him to Gandalf the White with new powers.

No, the only way I see it coming is that Dumbledore will still provide information will be through his portrait and through memories he kept. I think that Harry will be using the Pensieve a lot in book 7 to help make his mind up on things and I think also he might stumble on the actual fight that Snape and Dumbledore had.

Oh btw this is my take on the fight:

DD: Kill me you young scallywag; you promised to do so if Draco couldn't to his mother. If you don't kill me then I'll smack your bottom.

SS: Oh man. Kill you? Do you realise what kind of crap I'll get from Potter and the Weasleys. Why can't Draco do it?

DD: You kill me or else!

SS: I don't want to! (Sticks tongue out and makes a raspberry noise!)

DD: Do it?

SS: No. (repeats action after last sentence!)

DD: Alright turn around and I'll smack your bottom you disobedient child!

SS: Shan't!

And so on and so on...

Oh, and it's not the second invisibility cloak it's the second mirror. And I have a feeling that its Regulus Black that's going to come into the scene here; after all SB did say that "Last he heard..." and he hadn't been talking to his family since he was sixteen; plus he hated his younger brother so he's hardly going to check the facts is he...

I think Regulus is actually out there somewhere and will turn up... possibly with Snape and Draco... I'd like that much more.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.