Click Here!

What Are You Reading?

Nanaea

I saw this topic in another thread and got all excited, until I realized it was in the Comics section. sad.gif I haven't read a comic series on a regular basis in years, so I figured what the heck, why not start the topic here in Books too?

I'm reading Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. I loved the movie so I figured I should prolly read the book. I am amazed at how much of the story line was left out, although I know I really shouldn't be.... I like the authors style, it's very free flowing. She's not afraid of teh sex either, lol! It's frank without being graphic. The only thing that drives me nuts is that there are no chapter breaks. The book is about 300 pages and is divided into four roughly equal parts. It's so hard for me to put down a book in the middle of a chapter that this is really causing me a great deal of frustration. laugh.gif

So, what are you reading?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Madapple

I always have 3 or 4 books going at the same time, depends which room I'm in. cool.gif

When I'm in the kitchen I'm reading Steppenwolfby Hermann Hesse.

In the bathtub I'm reading Einstein's Dreams.

In the living room I'm reading In Armageddon's Shadow.

and I have a copy of Order of the Phoenix floating around the house for when the others have gone walk-about.

Of course this list is only temporary and open to revision at any time. thumbsup.gif

However, in my stack waiting for my attention is Greek Fire, Poison Arrows and Scorpion Bombs, a biography of Mary Wollstonecraft, Mysteries of Demeter, Stroke of Midnight and various others. pinch.gif

Jeesh, it sounds like I have no life! ph34r.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I've been reading The Watcher by James Howe. Read it before in 6th grade for English and never returned it ^__^ I had liked the book before, but now, as I'm reading it again, I absolutly love it. I find myself wondering how many other books I've read at a younger age that I'd appreaciate better now.

I find myself wondering how many other books I've read at a younger age that I'd appreaciate better now.

I know exactly what you mean, pix. There were books we had to read in school and I just couldn't get into them or didn't "get" them. I kind of blame some of the teachers for that. Just saying "read chapters 4 thru 7" and giving a quiz isn't really teaching, you know? Sophomore year in high school, I gave up on "Tale of Two Cities" really fast. A couple of years after graduating, there was a great Masterpiece Theatre mini-series; I couldn't wait for the end, so I ran out and bought the book and ending up really liking it. Freakin' public school teachers! blink.gif

I am reading a couple of books at the moment.

Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris

Vampire Hunter D, Tale of Dead Town - Hideyuki Kikuchi and Yoshitaka Amano

Chainfire - Terry Goodkind

I am also waiting for the next book by J.D. Robb to make its way into my house and the next Merideth Gentry book by Laurell K. Hamilton, and...well you get the idea. I love reading.

My to-read stack on my nightstand includes The Last Unicorn, the next two Anita Blake books (Obsidian Butterfly & Narcissus in Chains - I haven't started the Merideth Gentry series yet, but I plan to...), and two grammar books by Karen Elizabeth Gordon (The New Well-Tempered Sentence & The Deluxe Transitive Vampire) whom I heartily recommend! Tucked in my nightstand is a copy of The Delta of Venus by Anais Nin which I'm also slowly making my way through....

The Southern Vampire Mysteries series by Charlaine Harris is on my list of books I want to read, as well as Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series.

Oh, and in the living room is a stack of knitting books. whistle.gif

Guest echtrae

I just recently finished This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman.

I am currently reading (and have promised myself not to start another until I've finished at least one of these) the following:

• How to Write Science Fiction by Matthew J. Costello (I strongly recommend this, regardless of the specific genre you are writing)
  • Great Irish Tales of Horror edited by Peter Haining
  • Red Slippers by Dennis L. McKiernan (not as good as his earlier works, but not bad overall)
  • One Lamp edited by Gordon Van Gelder
  • Wizards edited by Jennifer Schwamm Willis
  • World Class Quality by Keki R. Bhote (this is more work related than anything else)

Guest lightgoddess

I am almost finished with The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I know, I know. I'm probably the last person on earth who hasn't read it. rolleyes.gif It's a good read, but admitedly, not as good as Angels and Demons.

I have no clue what I'm going to read next. I'm going to have to go out and buy myself some more books...

Guest Madapple
not as good as Angels and Demons.

I enjoyed Angels and Demon much more as well, Nekkid.

I thought the plot was tighter and the unfolding story much more compelling.

I was dumbfounded that people who read The DaVinci Code didn't immediately discover Angels and Demons.

I have too many books on the go. I am reading Make Room, Make Room by Harry Harrison, Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell, Going Postal by Terry Pratchett, The Count of Monty Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

Oh and Nekkid, I also haven't read the Da Vinci Code, nor do I care to.

I just finished Definitely Dead by Charlane Harris last night. It is the most recent in her Southern Vampire series. It was pretty good.

Red, there are a few more Anita Blake books after Narcissis in Chains. Those would be Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, and Dance Macabre. All are pretty good, although my friend said there was too much sex in the last one and not enough other action. Anyway, good luck catching up. wink.gif

I think I will start reading the Necrosphere series by Brian Lumley next, though I am not 100% sure on that. laugh.gif

Red, there are a few more Anita Blake books after Narcissis in Chains. Those would be Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, and Dance Macabre. All are pretty good, although my friend said there was too much sex in the last one and not enough other action. Anyway, good luck catching up. wink.gif

Acutaly, that would be me. wink.gif Thanks. I am aware that there are others after those two. I meant it as the next two that I have and need to read. happy.gif

Too much sex?! *gasp* The horror! ohmy.gifwink.giflaugh.gif

's alright. (I'm imagining that sounding like the famous puppeteer/ventriloquist/plate spinner guy...what was his name? He was on the Muppet Show once... something Bergman wasn't it? Damn it, now I've gotta go Google it and see if I can find a you tube clip of the act I'm thinking of. dry.gif) At any rate, no problem. wink.gif

Guest lightgoddess
I enjoyed Angels and Demon much more as well, Nekkid.

I thought the plot was tighter and the unfolding story much more compelling.

I was dumbfounded that people who read The DaVinci Code didn't immediately discover Angels and Demons.

I actually read this one first, more or less to get a 'feel' for Robert Langdon and Dan Brown's writing style. Being a conspiracy theorist at heart coupled with my interest in the classical elements really spurred on my love of Angels and Demons, I think. I thought that the plot was quite a bit tighter, keeping my interest. I also liked Vittoria much better than Sophie. lol

frak, I'm so jealous of you guys. I started some drivel written by some Aussie (no offense to Aussies), I don't even remember the name of it, but it started out with this fantastic concept and lost itself in the details. That was in the good ol summer time, and since then, I've been reading invoices and bills and financial statements till I'm dreaming of letter openers and the sound of tearing paper. Beside me is "Old Peter's Russian Tales" or...oh, nevermind, it was a decoy. It's really my brothers' grade four dictionary. (how the fuck did that get here from Wpg?)

Guest lightgoddess

I have moved from the Da Vinci Code to The Giant Book of Magic by Cassandra Eason. It's a pretty interesting read if you are into folklore/paganism/magic stuff, except that each section isn't very long. I think that instead of trying to incorporate as many different forms of magic that she could (which is what she did) she should have taken between 3-10 and really expanded on them and went more in depth. However, it wouldn't have been The Giant Book of Magic had she did that. lol

Next on my list? biggrin.gifThe Ultimate Guide to Mythology by Arthur Cottrel...and someone else. It's over 500 pages of beautiful full color pictures and mythology from around the world. Man I love that stuff!!

• Great Irish Tales of Horror edited by Peter Haining

I plan on reading that book once I can get my hands on it. After exams, I plan on finishing off the Vampire Omnibus, and The Penguin Book of Irish Fiction. Vampires have always been my favorite mythical creature. I'm also fascinated by Irish folklore and literature - they come up with some of the best stuff.

I've already finished reading Madame Bovary in French (great way to study for a French exam without boring yourself to tears or getting confused) and Memorias de mis putas tristes by Gabriel García Márquez (one of my fave authors). Neither book was required reading, but they really helped me study for the exams and I enjoyed the abridged versions of both novels. I had to read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood for an exam, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

What can I say? I've always been an avid reader nearly my entire life (and I say "nearly" because I wasn't born with the ability to read. I still love Amelia Bedelia, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, Good Night Moon, Berenstain Bears, and anything by Beverly Cleary (especially the Ramona series).

Well, getting sick has done wonders for reducing my reading pile. I polished off Pratical Magic, flew through Obsidian Butterfly and Narcissus in Chains, and am now free to start The Last Unicorn (although I'll prolly hold off on that until I get some writing done).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.