Click Here!

Comments Box for AFF

Evility

Authors on AFF need a comments box for their public profiles!

A fellow author just wanted to leave a note for me (not in regards to my story), but had to leave it as a review so that I'd see it. She was just keeping me posted on one of her own stories, letting me know what was up. How nice would that be; to have a quick note box?

Just a thought... I wanted to see what anybody thought. It's not difficult to sign in to the forum and send someone a message, but what if an author doesn't have the same user name in the forum? It's not hard to sign in, but this would give someone the ability to leave a quick note without having to go to the forum.

Please Note: This is not to be confused with the AFF comments box already on the profiles page for forum users.

As an alternative to the separate e-mail account (I know I hate to keep up with numerous ones), you could say something like "Any non-story comments can be posted to my forum profile here: " and include your URL. Just a thought.

Even if they don't have the same user name in the forum, their penname is on their forum profile - so if you weren't sure who the message was from, you could always just click to see :D

• 2 months later...

Not sure how difficult it would be, or time consuming, but instead of a profile comments box why not have a link that will take you to a page where you can ask a question and it will send it to their registered email? Or an email that they could specify? Kinda like a story review except you would

a) Still not see their email

b) Wouldn't have to add a box to their profile page.

It could even be done somewhat like you're publishing a story, drop-down box with a few options for story related or other misc.

Realistically it doesn't seem like there would be too many ways to avoid that, unless (as Rogue suggested) authors were to make their own forum topic/profile and link to it in their author profile. I'm not sure how many authors or reviewers would want to do that though, especially if they are 'guests' and don't have an AFF account, much less a forum account. Though can you single out a sub-forum and designate it so anyone could post in its topics? Not sure what the options for these types of forums include or how advanced they are.

The only things I could really think of would just recycle elements that are already being used on the site. None of which would prevent the addition of new subroutines.

Edited by kickback

For one, guest users can view forum profiles, and click the email link and use the board to email. For another, the entire Fanfiction category is set up for guest posting, of all kinds. Whether starting topics, replying to topics, or whatever. Guests just can't use the pm system. The PM system requires one to be registered.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.