Click Here!

Scams done to New Writers

Anesor

Do you want to see a story of yours in print?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Wouldyou like to see a short story or book in print and in your local bookstore? [you may select more than one now]

• Yes, I'm hoping to write something original at some point.
    • Yes, though I hope a fanfic tale of mine can someday be printed under the owner's auspices, like Star Trek or Star Wars,
    • No, my story would not be sold in a bookstore so I'm hoping for electronic publlishing someday.
    • No, my tales are for only friends and just for fun.
    • Yes, but I don't know how long until I could finish a book for print.
    • No! My story is my precious!

I think a lot of us here have hopes of being someday published, and seeing a print copy of our hard work in a book store and being able to say "I'm a professional writer." But along with the greater freedom in finding small on-demand presses, listing on Amazon, and e-publishing will be a proliferation of sleazy types who want your money or efforts, in return for some phantom benefit. I'd heard about some of these at a Worldcon and the like, but realized many here would not have.

This started earlier today when I got an email from an online greeting card company 123Greetings, which I often use for occasional cards to people I know online. Keep in mind I have no detailed account there, so they know nothing about me. The subject was "You've Been Selected for Inclusion in the Cambridge Who's Who."

Dear Business Professional,

You were recently appointed as a biographical candidate to represent your profession in the 2010 / 2011 Cambridge Who's Who Registry among Executives and Professionals.

We are pleased to inform you that on 01/03/2011, your candidacy was approved. ...

My first thought was 'How could Cambridge anything think that?' I haven't worked professionally in years, and I wasn't ever what would be called executive. Then reading the text it was more obvious what it was. And a quick check found confirmations plenty(1). Aside from the card company helping with the scam I found that one of the attempted victims was harvested from a writers' group insurance list.

I'd heard horror stories at SF writers at conventions of scam agents, vanity publishers, etc. A spin-off of the SFWA, Writer Beware(2), is set to identify and warn members and the general writing community of the scamming. These things depend on using new writers as a continuing supply of fodder for revenues. Just like the Cambridge Who's Who uses Trump on the board to make the buyer feel validated and that they are about to make the big time, these things play on our hopes.

Please read some of the Writer Beware material if you plan to publish.

(1) Here's the info on the Cambridge Who's Who Scam, where you pay to be included in an honor. And unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the general public will never see this honor, unless they got sucked in too and bought the book. While Cambridge Who's Who is easily checked with an informative listing on Wikipedia, there are a lot more fishing for your money and hopes.

(2) Writer Beware is s service by the Science Fiction Writers of America, a genre which has a long history of mutual support and encouraging new writers. Many there started in fanfic, or even dabble in it still. One NaNoWriMo encouragement letter in November from Merceded Lackey said that she did some fanfic recently. They have a blog for current issues and lists of agencies and publishers to look out for at Writer Beware home page. Be sure to read about the case studies and alerts for writers, it really is another kind of Hall of Shame...