Click Here!

Crush by Sage Whistler

Guest sagewhistler

Guest sagewhistler

Crush

The moderators of AFF asked that authors limit their feedback on the main site to spare unnecessary server usage, and I respect that. I've gotten a lot of questions on my current, 'newly edited/revised' version of Crush and I wanted to respond here.

One reader asked why I decided to change Crush so drastically.

The answer to that is I started it in 2007. My writing style has matured and, hopefully improved, since then. The first version of Crush was a little more hurried and quite a bit darker. It wasn't as clear that Chay was as attracted to Andrew as Andrew was to him like it is in this newer version. Also, I wanted to give readers a little more insight into the characters lives and what helped mold them into the people they are today. If you ever read the first version of Crush Andrew Robinson's name was originally Warren Newburn. I changed the name becaue "Ren" --the shortened version of Warren--sounded (to me) like a Native American name and therefore I kept mixing it up when I meant to write Chay.

I got a very thorough, and quite frankly, awesome review from a reviewer writing as anonymous 'Me'. They liked the way the story was going up until Chapter 8.They had some concerns that Drew was crossing the line from a charming dominant to quite forceful. My answer to that: he is. Even back in 2007 when I created Drew I wanted to break out of the habit of creating these perfect gentleman characters. I'd never written a story where characters had any big flaws, where some readers might love to hate them and their actions. That is where Drew comes in. He's young, selfish, impatient, and inexperienced. Had he been about five years older he might have handled his apparent lust for Chay with a little more finesse. But he can't be perfect, he's in that phase where most young men--especially someone as popular, handsome, and spoiled--as he is think they are superman and could do just about whatever the hell they want (like speed in an Audi R8). He's cocky underneath it all, and yet very insecure too. He's smart and yet incredibly naive. Some people may hate him or love him and I'm cool with either reaction because that is what a writer aims for when they tell a story:emotion. Also, remember the story warning says non-con. It stands to reason that Drew was going to be less charming and more 'forceful' somewhere in the story. I stayed true to the original story in that regard, but trust me, I pulled it back quite a bit.

Another reviewer asked how old Chay is. He's 24; ironically the same age I am now while 'finally' finishing this story.

Someone else said the relationship between Drew/Chay reminded them of a manga, which is funny because since the time I first started this story until now I have picked up the habit of reading yaoi mangas. It's likely some of my writing style has been shaped by this, but Drew's actions/personality were largely the same three years ago. Chay, like Drew, changed very little in this newer version. He is and always was passive/submissive. ;)

Edited by sagewhistler

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sagewhistler

I've been reading all the great reviews on the story. I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to tell me how they are liking the story. Though captcha (sp?) is necessary I know it can be a pain. Anywhoo, I wanted to reflect on probably one of the biggest questions buzzing through the heads of readers: Why not just wait until Drew is older to have sex?

The answer to that is simple and not so simple. The simple answer is that people make rash and foolish decisions everyday. Truth is stranger than fiction, as they say. Stranger things have happened in real life than Drew and Chay will ever experience. Stepfathers have divorced their wives to marry their step-daughters. Boyfriends have slept with relatives of the women they are dating. Why risk it? I'm not sure even these people could summon up an excuse that would be sufficient. I'd say that selfishness has something to do with it. Do you think that only Drew is being selfish?. Well, he is not the only one. Chay wants the companionship, the loving, and the connection just as much as Drew does, if not more.

Lust plays a big part in the matter. Physical attraction can be a mighty contender for common sense. Women and men will say that they'd never cheat or their husbands or wives. Never in a million years, but then their dream girl/guy has never come along. My point being: you never known what you will do until you are in that situation. The casual observer (reader) has the opportunity to think clearly on the matter. Chay and Drew's actions are risky and impulsive. Very true. But Chay and Drew are human and as such not immune to the weaknesses of the flesh.Which doesn't make what they are doing right, but it is what it is.

I think I've come to like that about these two. I've written characters who've taken risks before, but these two probably take the most unnecessary risks of all. I like that imperfection about these characters. For ill or good, it will all work itself out in the end.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kissedbymidnight

I can't believe no one has made a reply to your posts yet, but yay! That makes me the first one^_^ Anyway, I agree with your whole explanation that people do weird, crazy things everyday. So yes, they could wait to have sex, but come on Drew is still a teenage boy. Yes, he can act mature and intelligent, but he still has a sex drive. Not to mention how drawn he is to Chay and how Chay is really the only exciting thing that happens in that town. Combine those things together and logic can go out the window quickly,especially when Chay's feeling lonely. He wants to feel that void in his life and Drew is right there, offering himself. I think it makes your story seem more real that they didn't wait because in real life they most likely wouldn't have. However, I hope you don't focus so much on realism that they don't have a happy ending. They seem like a great couple and Drew is almost eighteen.^_^

I've been reading all the great reviews on the story. I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to tell me how they are liking the story. Though captcha (sp?) is necessary I know it can be a pain. Anywhoo, I wanted to reflect on probably one of the biggest questions buzzing through the heads of readers: Why not just wait until Drew is older to have sex?

The answer to that is simple and not so simple. The simple answer is that people make rash and foolish decisions everyday. Truth is stranger than fiction, as they say. Stranger things have happened in real life than Drew and Chay will ever experience. Stepfathers have divorced their wives to marry their step-daughters. Boyfriends have slept with relatives of the women they are dating. Why risk it? I'm not sure even these people could summon up an excuse that would be sufficient. I'd say that selfishness has something to do with it. Do you think that only Drew is being selfish?. Well, he is not the only one. Chay wants the companionship, the loving, and the connection just as much as Drew does, if not more.

Lust plays a big part in the matter. Physical attraction can be a mighty contender for common sense. Women and men will say that they'd never cheat or their husbands or wives. Never in a million years, but then their dream girl/guy has never come along. My point being: you never known what you will do until you are in that situation. The casual observer (reader) has the opportunity to think clearly on the matter. Chay and Drew's actions are risky and impulsive. Very true. But Chay and Drew are human and as such not immune to the weaknesses of the flesh.Which doesn't make what they are doing right, but it is what it is.

I think I've come to like that about these two. I've written characters who've taken risks before, but these two probably take the most unnecessary risks of all. I like that imperfection about these characters. For ill or good, it will all work itself out in the end.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.