Click Here!

Ratings Spam

Serani

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what? Yup. They did it again. I don't know how or who or what cornflakes I pissed in, but they screwed the ratings for "Training" again. And it would be the one freaking story that has so many warnings that I can't even put something in the description to ignore the rating because there's not enough *room* in it to do that. *sigh*

Grrrrrrrr.

• 6 months later...

Just out of curiosity really...

Most of my stories get maybe four or five clicks to rate them, some slightly more. I was looking back at this old story o' mine today as part of a "really ought to write that next chapter" thing and noticed it had 106.

I was curious if one of you had time, and if possible, if it can be seen if this story had therefore pissed off a tonne of people or, as seems more likely (since nobody dies, gets mutilated or advocates the theories of Ann Coulter!), just one person? I'm not asking for it to be changed or anything like that, s'fine as it is 'cos it demonstrates some kinda feeling, but it just got me curious :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack the thread with something either trivial or that can't have anything done about it.

I've just returned to the site after being gone a few years and decided to start afresh. I'm not terribly well known, so my stories only get a few ratings, when they get any at all. Yesterday, I had a handful of fives suddenly; then, somebody rated a few stories with ones. It looks like somebody else stopped by today and rated with fives so the ones came out to be threes. That was thoughtful. In addition there were some more fours/fives.

However, since then the ratings have dropped, including on the stories that hadn't been rated down, meaning since then, somebody has come back and rated poorly again for whatever reason. (No reviews so far.) My averages seem to be around two and three by now, when as I said yesterday it was mainly fours/fives.

I posted a 23kb story earlier and before I could even click back to my profile from viewing it--i. e., IN UNDER ONE MINUTE--it had been rated one--WAY before anyone could have even read any of it! Meaning somebody seems to be rating my stuff poorly just for the sake of rating it poorly.

I haven't been ratings bombed yet like the unfortunate people earlier in this post, but I wondered if this is a common problem among others? I find it greatly discouraging, considering that 1. I dealt with an online stalker who did the same thing to me for over a year on another writing site, and since he was anonymous the webmaster could do nothing; and 2. I only just came back here! Who could I have ticked off so quickly?? I'm practically unknown, I have no clue why I've been targeted. (I checked the other stories on the "Recent" page in my genre and they weren't rated poorly, so it really does look like somebody is after mine for some inexplicable reason.)

I realize nothing can probably be done about this since it hasn't reached epic proportions yet, but I could use a little sympathy, and maybe some insight. It'd help if I knew if others often face this issue, I guess, so I'd be in good company.

I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this sort of thing. Our admin staff are the ones who can really look into this properly, but I'd urge you not to take the ratings to heart too much. For me, at least, ratings don't affect whether or not I choose to read a story for enjoyment. I've clicked on some with many high ratings, and been completely disappointed. Others that may have no ratings have been gems. But yes, it does sting to see those low ratings, and I do understand. When it happens to me, I tend to view it as part of being a site moderator. That's what I tell myself, and I go right on writing.

We have people who will do this at random, simply out of meanness, I'm sure. At that point, the user does exactly what you did, and tells me what was there as best as they can remember (including hit counts, if possible), I then go in to the database and fix it. Be aware, however, that once you've been targeted like this, it often happens that you'll KEEP getting targeted for a bit of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouraging comments. (Sorry it took me so long, I wasn't notified of replies for some reason.) And for taking care of those other ratings. I couldn't be sure about the others, but that one on the story I'd only just posted was suspicious.

Unfortunately I think they're back, as all of the three items I posted tonight were quickly rated with one star. (Two others were a while back but it took a bit to get those ratings, so they're likely just somebody who didn't like what they read.) *sigh* I'm kind of getting the feeling there's somebody who simply doesn't like seeing my name on so much writing. :(

It's only too bad such people, instead of doing this, don't just go out and post more of their own writing!

ETA: What's doubly weird (I only just noticed this) is the three items are posted in two different genre categories, so whoever this is would've had to either browse or check out my profile. Strange. :/

Edited by tehuti88

As I said before, with this feature being completely anonymous, the unfortunate side effect is that if for some reason, however stupid it may seem to rest of US (as it generally does), if a person can't get to someone in any other way they've tried, they go for this. The most common reason I've seen, is because a writer writes a particular pair, and since the ones who would've started flaming all the stories for the pair have learnt that they pull that, I'll delete 'em, they use this as a harassment option, going after authors and all their stories. Like I said, stupid reason, but the most common one for this sort of behavior.

Send me a pm please or I will forget to look at 'em all again for you.

The most common reason I've seen, is because a writer writes a particular pair, and since the ones who would've started flaming all the stories for the pair have learnt that they pull that, I'll delete 'em, they use this as a harassment option, going after authors and all their stories. Like I said, stupid reason, but the most common one for this sort of behavior.

I write exclusively original fiction, so I doubt this in particular is the reason, unless I have some kind of weird fan who hates my own pairings! O_o (Stranger things have happened.) The only reasons I can think of are they don't like that I include plot, or they don't like that I'm prolific. I've had people complain to me in the past that I write too much.

Sometime following my post here a couple of people showed up to up-rate the stories in question, raising two of the ones to threes and one of them to a four, but sometime between around nine or ten this morning and now (noon), someone again arrived and rated them with ones, bringing them back down to a two and two threes. (Now I have TWO people irked with me?? This is really weird, I'm usually invisible!) If it was somebody just not liking my writing, that hurts but I could understand, but these ratings coming so fast makes me fairly certain they're rating just to down-rate and are not actually reading anything. I do have to wonder what about me caught their interest and aroused their ire. :/

I'll attempt to send a PM though I'm not sure I know how! *is clueless*

Edited by tehuti88

Thank you for the swift and thoughtful action. Unfortunately, they've hit again. :( They've rated almost everything of mine with a one. It looks like they specifically targeted items that hadn't been rated yet, too. In fact I think I can see only ONE that they missed. (Surely an oversight on their part.)

From the looks of it some of the rated items had already been rated with ones yesterday or the day before (e. g., two items that had had fives were suddenly both threes), but I didn't want to sound like somebody whining over every bad rating, but now it's obvious it's not an actual reader doing it. It really says something about somebody when they have nothing better to do than go through that many items and rate almost every one! It's not driving me off the site, so they're really wasting their time.

If only I could find readers as dedicated to my work as this guy is, I'd be set for life!

It's kind of pointless linking to the specific items since like I said, it's almost every one of them. :(

http://original.adul...rs.php?no=19457

(Ed. for really stupid typo.)

Edited by tehuti88

(To be quite honest though, I was kind of hoping they would strike so I could make up my mind and report them regarding the earlier one-star ratings! I just had no idea they were so bored as to go this far. I think they need a hobby.)

AND...they've already paid a visit to my newest three items, posted about an hour ago. *rolling eyes* Maybe I should be flattered that their entire world seems to revolve around me!

(Oops, missed the latest post. (On dialup.) Thank you and sorry they're making me such a pain to you!)

Edited by tehuti88

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.