Click Here!

Writing or typing?

Techno-Ninja

Do you like sound of pen or pencil scratching against paper? The smell of ink or rubber?

Or perhaps you enjoy the glow of a monitor and the clacking of keys? How about a typewriter?

Please discuss with me what your favourite method of writing is, and why. smile.gif

I like to write by hand. I do find it harder than typing, and much slower, but I feel that penmanship is a dying art.

I also find writing by hand to be more personal than typing. I'm a very sentimental and emotional person, so this really stands out to me.

A good majority of my stories are hand written before being typed up and posted. ^_^

My handwriting is terrible. Seriously, I teach courses on deciphering it. I also tend to press pens very hard against the paper (to the point where I can't use pencils, because I'll break them), so the sheets in my notebooks end up curling like used parchment. I am also prone to mixing up languages, which means typos. I hate typos.

All of this combines to make me vastly prefer typing to writing. I'm a very fast typist and a rabid editor, so typing will always be more efficient and satisfying to me than handwriting. Which is really only suitable for when a computer is unreachable or infeasible to keep around.

EDIT: I had a typewriter once. Loved it, because it allowed me to type forcefully (I had to learn how to type gently when handling keyboards), but it was very unforgiving of mistakes.

Edited by Shadowknight12

I prefer typing, mostly because it would feel like a waste of effort to me to write everything out, then type it up for my internet victims readers.

Typewriters are great to use, but it's been 13 or 14 years since I had the chance. I like the noises and the feel of them, but as noted by SK, mistakes could be an issue - especially if your typing skill was as weak as mine could be.

I started out writing longhand, in a series of notebooks, going through pens at a prodigious rate, and working on my laptop desk or at the pool. Then I would type everything up on the computer, and edit, edit, edit...

It got colder, and I moved indoors, and eliminated the middle man, so to speak, and now I work on the computer. I still make notes to myself on all sorts of things, including scraps of paper, post-it notes, and my arm.

Many, many years ago, I had an old Royal typewriter, with the cloth ribbons, and I used to love pounding away on that old thing... :D

My handwriting is terrible. Seriously, I teach courses on deciphering it. I also tend to press pens very hard against the paper (to the point where I can't use pencils, because I'll break them), so the sheets in my notebooks end up curling like used parchment. I am also prone to mixing up languages, which means typos. I hate typos.

All of this combines to make me vastly prefer typing to writing. I'm a very fast typist and a rabid editor, so typing will always be more efficient and satisfying to me than handwriting. Which is really only suitable for when a computer is unreachable or infeasible to keep around.

EDIT: I had a typewriter once. Loved it, because it allowed me to type forcefully (I had to learn how to type gently when handling keyboards), but it was very unforgiving of mistakes.

Mine is too. It doesn't help that I'm left handed either. :lol: I favour pencil, because I make a lot of mistakes. Though, I write so lightly, that whatever lead makes it to the paper likes to smudge and fade to the point of being completely illegible.

I should prefer typing to writing, but I guess I'm some sort of masochist. :P I'm quick at typing as well, and the backspace key is my best friend. My typing tends to piss those around me off. I'm not the most gentle with the keys, and I also have the habit of typing with my nails rather than my fingertips. It does get a bit loud I'll admit.

Lucky. :P I've never owned a typewriter, but my grandmother did. I liked the sounds it made.

I prefer typing, mostly because it would feel like a waste of effort to me to write everything out, then type it up for my internet victims readers.

Typewriters are great to use, but it's been 13 or 14 years since I had the chance. I like the noises and the feel of them, but as noted by SK, mistakes could be an issue - especially if your typing skill was as weak as mine could be.

I see. :P I think another big part of why I write, asidefrom my strange sentimental thoughts, is because I don’t always have access toa computer. I find it nice to just go to a park, or curl up on my couch andwrite.

I don’t think I could ever use a typewriter for just thatreason. My mistakes would cost me a fortune in supplies.

On another note, I read some of your work. It was prettygood. It definitely did what I think you intended it to do. :lol: It’s veryhard to freak me out, so congratulations on being one of the first writers onhere to do that. :P

I started out writing longhand, in a series of notebooks, going through pens at a prodigious rate, and working on my laptop desk or at the pool. Then I would type everything up on the computer, and edit, edit, edit...

It got colder, and I moved indoors, and eliminated the middle man, so to speak, and now I work on the computer. I still make notes to myself on all sorts of things, including scraps of paper, post-it notes, and my arm.

Many, many years ago, I had an old Royal typewriter, with the cloth ribbons, and I used to love pounding away on that old thing... :D

I have a stack of notebooks to attest to my writing habit.:lol: I do like that it’s easier to edit on a computer. I have notebooks forrough drafts, outlines, and the scribbling out of random plot bunnies. I’ve gotseparate notebooks where I write down my final drafts. Then, some of my workmakes it to a computer, and onto AFF.

I make notes on my arm every once in a while. It’s a habitthat infuriates my father. :P

Oooh, that sounds very nice. :D

Well that's very kind of you to say so, I thank you for it.

You're welcome. :)

Oh! Since my tendency to create review response threads is sporadic, I sometimes reply to people when/if I see/remember them in the forums.

So, thanks for your reviews on my prompt stories! :D

I write first drafts by hand in notebooks, binders, napkins, whatever. Partly because I love the physical act of writing, and partly because like you I don't always have access to a computer. PLUS I've lost a lot of work when computers have kicked the bucket on me. I edit when I type out the finished peice. I also like to write by hand because I love to buy notebooks, pens, even post its. I actually just went to Staples yesterday and I was like a kid in Toys R Us.

I write first drafts by hand in notebooks, binders, napkins, whatever. Partly because I love the physical act of writing, and partly because like you I don't always have access to a computer. PLUS I've lost a lot of work when computers have kicked the bucket on me. I edit when I type out the finished peice. I also like to write by hand because I love to buy notebooks, pens, even post its. I actually just went to Staples yesterday and I was like a kid in Toys R Us.

A laptop I had a few years ago had some of my writing on it and crashed. :( Now I print off my final copies and put them on a flash drive to be safe.

:lol: I'm the same way when it comes to buying that stuff. I love buying notebooks and pens, and also drawing supplies. It makes me quite happy. :D

A laptop I had a few years ago had some of my writing on it and crashed. :( Now I print off my final copies and put them on a flash drive to be safe.

:lol: I'm the same way when it comes to buying that stuff. I love buying notebooks and pens, and also drawing supplies. It makes me quite happy. :D

I'm glad to hear someone else loves buying office supplies as much as I do. I thought I was just weird. haha

I write stuff too, on paper. Not for writing, per se, as I'm not a creative writer. But, for code changes and other things? You betcha. Besides, while computers are wonderful things, I always have a paper back up too. Especially when it comes to keeping track of what I've changed, and things like that.

I write stuff too, on paper. Not for writing, per se, as I'm not a creative writer. But, for code changes and other things? You betcha. Besides, while computers are wonderful things, I always have a paper back up too. Especially when it comes to keeping track of what I've changed, and things like that.

Makes sense to me. :P It's nice to have a paper back up because paper can't crash. :lol:

:lol: I had a pen pal who would write to me on stationary that has lots of flowers on it... :3

Palm trees... mine has palm trees. And I have an assortment of blank note cards for those "jot a quick note to whomever" moments that strike randomly. :lol:

I don't consider myself a true writer, so I don't really have a preference. I suppose I type all my stuff for the fact that it cuts out the middle-man of writing it on paper, then transferring that to the screen. I don't even really write down my ideas. I just kind of think them up and if I don't forget about them along the way, I'll try to get them down. I'm pretty chill about that. ^^

I write longhand in notebooks then type it up. It's a convience thing, I do more writing out of the house than in it and I can't carry a laptop everywhere I go.

I have an hours commute to work on the train and I often use that time to write, and I always use spiral bound hard backed note books as they are the best sort for balancing on your lap.

I hate the typing bit, it makes my shoulders ache and gives me blurred vision. At work we do these DSE courses which are about how to set your desk up correctly to avoid RSI and that kind of stuff so I know that typing at the kitchen table sat on a small, hard wooden chair is not helping matters, but it's either that or balanced on the couch which makes things even worse. I wish I could touch type, at school we were given the choice of typing lessons or craft lessons, an hour spent hunced over a typewrited or an hour spent messing about with clay, which do you think I chose? Gah, I think it's too late now, I have too many typing bad habits.

I know what you mean about getting excited by a trip to Staples (I also really like Ryman, not sure if they exist outside the UK), I'm very into buying pens at the moment as I go through a lot of them, I like liquid ink rollerball with the finest point I can find (less than 1mm for preferance) in either black or blue, don't like writing in fancy colours, and I never use biros, they make your notebook pages go all crunchy. Just read that back, I really am a little obsessive aren't I? Well, at least it's a cheap hobby, I have friends who are just as obsessive about things like snowboards and musical instruments, and they cost a fortune.

I write longhand in notebooks then type it up. It's a convience thing, I do more writing out of the house than in it and I can't carry a laptop everywhere I go.

I have an hours commute to work on the train and I often use that time to write, and I always use spiral bound hard backed note books as they are the best sort for balancing on your lap.

I hate the typing bit, it makes my shoulders ache and gives me blurred vision. At work we do these DSE courses which are about how to set your desk up correctly to avoid RSI and that kind of stuff so I know that typing at the kitchen table sat on a small, hard wooden chair is not helping matters, but it's either that or balanced on the couch which makes things even worse. I wish I could touch type, at school we were given the choice of typing lessons or craft lessons, an hour spent hunced over a typewrited or an hour spent messing about with clay, which do you think I chose? Gah, I think it's too late now, I have too many typing bad habits.

I know what you mean about getting excited by a trip to Staples (I also really like Ryman, not sure if they exist outside the UK), I'm very into buying pens at the moment as I go through a lot of them, I like liquid ink rollerball with the finest point I can find (less than 1mm for preferance) in either black or blue, don't like writing in fancy colours, and I never use biros, they make your notebook pages go all crunchy. Just read that back, I really am a little obsessive aren't I? Well, at least it's a cheap hobby, I have friends who are just as obsessive about things like snowboards and musical instruments, and they cost a fortune.

I've actually read about some famous writers (can't think of names offhand) who wrote novels on their daily train commute. I also have about a 45 minute commute each way but I drive so the only writing I can get done is brainstorming in my head :)

I've tried about every pen they make. I just bought a fancy Cross set that was on sale. I like the ones with rollerballs too, it seems like you can write faster with them. Lately (just in my journal) I've been writing with different colored marker pens. I think Bic makes them in the ultra fine point. I like matching my mood to a different color everyday.

I don't think your obsessive, I know for me the right writing tools can inspire me to want to write more!!

typing...if you write them out you will most likely loose the pages..i have had that happen to me a couple of times....so i stick to typing

If I could do it, I'd write stuff out on paper first, in pen. That way I couldn't keep going back and editing myself so much when the words should be streaming out of my brain. Of course I'd scratch words or sections, but in single space it's hard to add a lot. The biggest problem is that even at my fastest writing my hands can't keep up with my brain.

To make it worse, my handwriting is horrible, so slowing down enough so that I could read it later would frustrate me to death. In the end, things go a bit faster with the keyboard even if I get distracted by tweaking as I go. (However, with my luck if I used a notebook I'd lose it and whoever found it would be able to decipher it...)

Still, will use real paper for pre-writing and little notes when ideas pop into my head.

When arranging story point on index cards I use different color Sharpies, but that's mostly for writing comics. (Nothing helps you trim a story like counting the page cards and multiplying by $50.)

(BTW, Pentel R.S.V.P. Fine or Medium are among the few that work for the way I hold pens.)