Click Here!

All Hail Final Fantasy V!

Guest Big Samurai

Guest Big Samurai

Four new job classes! A whole mess of new, post-game dungeons! Plenty of secret bosses! FF4A was a very good rendition of a classic, but this, the first standalone release of FF5 in North America, is absolutely worth playing, particularly because of the Job System. Unless the DS release of FF3 works some hella magic, this is the best version of it.

On top of that, they completely redid the translation. (The PS1 Anthology version, if you've played it, is terrible.) Exdeath is back to being Exdeath again, and, y'know, that just makes me smile.

cool.gif

If you're a Final fan, do yourself a favor. Play this. 'Til we get FF6A in '07, this is the true old school experience. Enjoy it.

It's one of the few FF's I've started and not completed - got up to the fight with Exdeath with the bearded guy on my translated rom - forgot his name and couldn't be bothered lvling up any more to defeat him. I've also got the PSX version (couldn't deal with the "added bonus" of loading times - I'll go back and finish it one day though. I like challenging bosses and all (the Sol Cannon) but at the time I had much more important things to concentrate on - exams and such. whistle.gif

Don't remind me about FF4 - Evil Wall - ohmy.gif the horror!

Aw, fuck, now I need to buy a DS! I'm a poor university student, quit doing this to me Square! You'll just get my hopes up and then BAM!!! its Chrono Cross or Rinoa all over again!

FF6 in 2007?! I needs it, my precioussss... 3 (or 6 if you don't have the balls to admit you played it as 3 before you knew better anyway) is the best FF going (although, invariably, everyone I've encountered always picks their favorite FF as the first non Mystic Quest post 8-bit FF they've beaten.)

Guest Big Samurai

Haha, you've got me there, Red. I played it as FF3 on SNES long ago, way back in '94. My favorite Final Fantasy is, traditionally, FF4, the first 16-bit FF I beat, so your theory is still correct. FFMQ's another favorite of mine, actually, especially for the kickass soundtrack; I don't care that so many people hate it.)

Right now, I'm just glad that a new generation is getting a shot at FF5. It has its flaws, but it's still the middle entry of the best trilogy in the series (IMO).

• 2 months later...

Hot damn, I played FFMQ then FF4 and 6 on the console. I'd say for me 6 gets it as a favorite although 4 has more nostalgia. Nice theory...

I might pick up an advance sometime, but wonder if 5 is worth it... I'd say 6 is for the stuff they added, dear god. But hey, like I hinted on the pairings... must see siren scene on GBA...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.