Click Here!

Final Fantasy Xii Has Landed

Guest Serenanna

I think that FF12 is excellent...been playing about 25 hours or similar and like what I see so far. The acting and dialog of the characters is not particulary good, but on the other hand it is of the typical level of FF games.

I don't view Vaan's lack of reasons for joining the quest as anything unusual. Plenty common in FF games that some character tag along without any reason until they late in the game stumble over their connection to the main plot.

The degree of freedom with balance between forced main quest and exploring sidequests and hunts is close to perfect.

As for complaints about Quickenings being too good...may I suggest that you don't use them them if you don't need them. All FF games have similar ways to do take out enemies. The vanish-doom trick is probably most famous, but ways to get outrageos damage or making yourself safe from damage are also quite common. It is your choice if you take those shortcuts or solve things by other means.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The degree of freedom with balance between forced main quest and exploring sidequests and hunts is close to perfect.

I can agree with this, I'm the kind of person that likes to do every possible sidequest asap, but at this moment in my life the amount of leveling up needed to take down certain marks has passed the point of tedium. Kudos to Squenix for trying something new with the battle system but I don't want to feel like I'm playing an MMORPG. I've got up to the part where you're supposed to get a sword from some temple and I've stopped playing for the moment - seriously I can only play this game in short bursts.

I don't know what it is but "sleepy towns floating in the clouds" along with sleepy music coincidentally put me to sleep - not the best way to keep my attention, so many npc's to talk to... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...

I don't view Vaan's lack of reasons for joining the quest as anything unusual. Plenty common in FF games that some character tag along without any reason until they late in the game stumble over their connection to the main plot.

I'm just sick of playing as Vaan for the past few FF games - annoying skinny little orphan who would be shattered to splinters the second any blunt instrument so much as touched him, and the "personality" - been there, done that.

As for complaints about Quickenings being too good...may I suggest that you don't use them them if you don't need them. All FF games have similar ways to do take out enemies. The vanish-doom trick is probably most famous, but ways to get outrageos damage or making yourself safe from damage are also quite common. It is your choice if you take those shortcuts or solve things by other means.

lol, you got that right *thinks back to Squall's infinate renzokuken's on FF8 - lifesaver!*

Hmm, considering the only reason I managed to captured the second esper (the one in the Zanzidan Caverns, or what ever they're called. The underdark, for those familiar with the comparison.) Then again, maybe it's not meant to be captured at level 27. I blame the mallicants. I wouldn't even have known it was there if I wasn't vengenance questing against them.

• 1 month later...

So has any one beat it yet? I finished Thrusday, and found the bosses somewhat lacking in the end game. I managed to defeat all three without buffing, aand only had the occasional KO against Undying. Then again, I was also level 58 at the time, so was probably a bit ahead of where I was supposed to.

I beat it maybe a week ago, with all characters at level 50 and probably about 90% of each one's license board completed. Though I buffed everyone up for the final series of fights, I didn't have to switch anyone out. At one point, I intended to do all the sidequests (a.k.a. hunts) but only got 24 marks...running around killing one monster at a time gets old. I just wanted to beat the thing and be done with it.

Bah, still not got round to finishing this, Tales of the Abyss (amazing game, btw) ate most of my holiday, and I'm too busy with Growlanser Gens to bother with this at the moment.

As others have stated, the license board is far from expansive, and the game has done little to grab my attention.

Maybe I'll go back to it early Feb.

• 3 months later...
Guest Pink Lace

*gasp* I am also doing Tales of the Abyss! I never finished FFXII and I never will. The plot and characters just don't interest me. It seems that the real happenings are with Balthier, Cid, Vayne, Larsa and the Emperor. Those are the interesting parts, I could care less what happens to Penelo, who has absolutely no relevance to the politics and wars.

I just don't "get" why I have to move these characters around when they aren't that interesting. *sigh* I guess only Doctor Cid is interested in the party and it's only for the access to certain things.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.