Click Here!

Suitable Anime For A Five Year Old Boy?

Guest CreepingKate

Guest CreepingKate

I have a five year old great nephew who is getting into anime; he's hung out with adults (mostly women) for most of his young life, so Kiernan is more "sophisticated" than your average kindergartner. When his grandma (my sister) babysits him on Saturdayy nights, she lets him stay up a little later and they would watch "Fullmetal Alchemist" (or other anime) together.

I gave him "My Neighbor Totoro" for his birthday in July - he really liked it - but what anime other than Miyazaki films would be suitable? They can't be too violent nor have sexual situations - the former will scare him, and the latter would just confuse the hell out of him. Nor be too "kiddish", if MNT is any indication, he would like something with a strong storyline.

I'm already making plans for his Christmas gift - I am thinking of getting a bento (or similar) box and customizing it as "Kiernan's Big Box o' Anime Fun". I would put a couple of DVDs in there, a couple volumes of manga, maybe some stickers or a couple action figures. Does anyone make anime-themed coloring books?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Guest Masatar_Torlyl

I don't know about your kiddo, but my mine (5 and 3) I let them watch 12 Kingdoms, Naruto, Inuyasha, Power Puff Z, Tenge Tenjou, Lodoss War... but from what my sister says the Miyazaki films are good for all ages. biggrin.gif

Guest duoikari

i had the same problem with my cousin she's 5 by the way, the only trouble i had was subtitles. Since i download most of my anime it has subtitles and how do you get a 5 year who can't read to sit there and watch an anime in japanese.

One anime that came to my mind was Shin chan, it's funny and has both jokes for adults and kids, even tho it's an old version. Martian successor Nadisco is another one, but they may a bit too adult for him. I'm afraid i can only suggest other animes that have subtitles on them, i think he would enjoy Ouran high school host club.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Kiki's Delivery Service is great, as well as Spirited Away, Bleach (maybe, there's a lot of blood. Howerver, since it's now playing on Cartoon Network, they likely edited that out.) Since he's watching FMA, I'll also reccomend Princess Mononoke. No sex, but a dude get's his head taken off by an arrow (really far away, so you just see a blurry head pop off) and a woman gets her arm bitten off by the detached head of a wolf.

I saw the first half of Castle in the Sky and it was great.

One Piece is a lot of fun, but the dub isn't the best. I suggest getting him the manga.

Chrno Crusade is great and funny, but ultimatly depressing, so I suggest you watch it through first before showing it to him.

Get Backer is a LOT of fun. He'd probably love it. Though, it has a few yaoi undertones, nothing outright or shown. All the blood is glossed over as shiny silvery stuff ^__^

Naruto is great for the first hundred episodes or so before it just starts becoming Dragon Ball Z.

I'd suggest Ghost in the Shell, but I believe it may be a bit old for him (I can't remember how violent it was exactly, nor can I remember is it had any seriously suggestive material.)

Grave of Fireflies is really sad, but ultimatly beautiful. It's about an orphaned brother and sister in the aftermath of the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. So, really, that just may make him cry for weeks and then decide he hates the US like the plague.

I recommend Princess Mononoke. I liked it very much and loaned it to my cousin who has two young boys and they loved it.

I would also get Bleach but I'm biased as that is one of my favorite Animes to date, beyond FMA. I saw the movie in Canada when I went to an Anime convention there this past July.

Solaris

Guest duoikari

i would say that bleach is a bit bloody at times for a 5 year old, although he might enjoy it you never know.

But it seems that any studio Ghibli film would be perfect for him, after all they were films designed for children. I don't care for studio ghilbi films myself, i do think that they are a bit of a bore, but then again i am 19 xD

One I've liked of late was Elemental Gelade, although it may be a bit violent.

The original Di Gi Charat might be good for him, if he doesn't mind watching anime with female leads. Same for Galaxy Angel. Hare and Guu was pretty funny.

Maybe Pokemon. Anime runner Kuromi was pretty funny.

Guest SilverFox-chan
One I've liked of late was Elemental Gelade, although it may be a bit violent.

The original Di Gi Charat might be good for him, if he doesn't mind watching anime with female leads. Same for Galaxy Angel. Hare and Guu was pretty funny.

Maybe Pokemon. Anime runner Kuromi was pretty funny.

I was thinking PokeMon but I wasn't sure I should reccomend that or not.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.