Click Here!

What's Your Style?

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

POV is just one element of style. I think description plot and characterization is all separate from style, yet other aspects of the voice color the rest of it so that you have "gothic", dark novels or as someone pointed out, lots of description, or lots of dialogue (a play is a much more different read than a novel for instance). I was really struggling with what "style" actually is when I began making writing a passion of mine.

So, as an exercise, I once wrote a piece using a different language (nearly the type used on PotC) wherein I would relate the story. For instance, bringing in an archaic word, yet one that is still understood, or using a word in a different way. "meet" for instance. As an erotic piece, it was quite a challenge, and chapter 14 is burning on my hard drive, languishing there, awaiting my attention.

It's almost like taking on a persona. It certainly comes down to what you are capable of feeling, how capable you are in conveying that feeling, and what sort of success you will have doing it. Reading the work of others, I can almost see into their souls, for they bare them so sweetly, and sometimes so blatantly. Others you can tell are more intellectual

2nd person makes me sound kinda preachy, doesn't it? I've got to remember to avoid that one.

Anyway, I guess that my point it, style is tied up with the personality of the author. If you are a hippie type person, or emo, or romantic, or rock and roll, it all has a certain appeal, right? I don't know. maybe I'm wrong. Style was always an elusive subject for me. I don't think I ever understood it properly.

I'm relative to StoryJunky in that I have two universes floating around in my head (two universes for the same novel >.< ) and that main project is never far from mind. I've only tried my hand at erotic fiction recently, and that's also a joint project (training wheels).

I haven't settled into the First Person POV often, but I'm starting to think I need to play with that a little more. I just find myself capable of so much more (on a larger scale) when I'm in the Third Person Omniscient.

• 3 weeks later...

i've written in third and first. i prefer third, because its easy to write in and easy to remember. first person is hard for some people to accomplish, though i guess i managed well enough on the one i did that way.

oh, wait. i've done a couple in first person. one is an original in erotica, several years old and rather a defining piece, while the other is in HP and is done from several different character's POVs. both have different feels to them, not only because of subject matter but because i try hard to, if only for a moment, become the character i'm writing about. i know that sounds odd, but its truth. just as my characters determine the direction of my stories. not me.

for me, either one works. it depends on the way i want my story to come across. mostly, i write in third person. and i commit a horrible sin. i write exactly as i think. because there's no way that anyone thinks as perfectly as editors want you to think. oh well. i'm not out to win any contests. i just write so i can get some of this crap out of my head!

devil.gif

My style? Hm ... if I have any style ... bacuse having only one story written (and not a complete one, either) doesn't entitle me to have a style ... BUT!

First person POV, and present tenses ... I have never expected to do so well with this! I guess stream of conscious is the type I do (or I'm doing, maybe it'll change?)

I write mostly relationship fanfiction but half the time there's another plot element (an evil character, etc.) that makes it an adventure story as well. My writing tends to involve drama from unusual relationships (swinging, crack pairings, etc.) and humor since the characters (both canon and OCs) aren't the most serious types. That said, attempts to write a purely humorous fic have failed, although I'm more or less satisfied with a horror parody I have in progress. I've written one PWP and one SWP (sensuality without plot) that turned out okay but I prefer developing a good plot to wrap around the love scenes.

I write third-person point of view with the thoughts of several characters. During a particular scene, I like showing the audience what both characters are thinking and how they're responding to what's going on. I actually can't recall any fanfiction, let alone of the adult variety, from my fandom that was written in first-person POV but would give props to anyone who attempted it.

I'd imagine I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to dialogue. I prefer some, but not too much dialogue, in the love scenes and a good mix of dialogue and description in any other scene.

Edited by DodgeSuperBee

• 3 weeks later...

I usually create fanfics in the third person. I've read fanfics in the first person and they boggle my mind. I don't like it when it is used mainly during dialoge because it switches off from one person to another and I can never tell who is speaking! I usually prefer to write sci-fi, fantasy or romance...or a combination. I mainly like to write about romance between different anime or tv show characters.

Edited by Kyouryoku Senshi

I have always written in first person - or at least, lately. I seem to remember writing in third person when I was younger, then I stopped writing altogether for a number of years and now that I'm back at it, it's first person, all the time.

I don't particularly like writing in first person though. I seem to have this warped (or at least, highly critical) concept of "quality" and to me, first person just seems rather childish. "Real" writers write in third person... at least that's what my brain tells me.

I just haven't been able to convey emotions and thoughts properly in third person as well as I can in first.

I also tend to include a lot of sarcasm in my fics. For as hard as I try to make things serious when they need to be, I can't help but throwing in some kind of sarcastic remark. It just comes natural to me! smile.gif

P.S. - long time fic reader, first time poster here... I didn't see an Introduction Thread, so I'll just say hi here. Hello everyone! Lol, sorry. Just felt weird to up and post without even saying anything...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just recently joined the forum and I am absolutely fascinated by everything I'm reading regarding the revelations of other writers -- specially slash writers.

I didn't even know there was a term for what I was writing. I just thought I was strange and took my little scribblings and hid them away for my own enjoyment. Then I found AFF and I'm posting!!

In my original works, I would say I write First Person narrative about 90% of the time. I have done third, but I feel too distanced from the story. When I do get the inspiration for fanfics, I have to do 3rd person limited because these are not my characters and I don't feel right messing with them outside of the storyline I discovered them in.

My First Person stories can get emotional, and they are all over the map. Oh, I write slash vampire fiction. So it deals with relationships, intimacy, sex, love, and the role of the fictional society to the characters.

As I don't pre-plot (I have the beginning, the climax, and the ending) my first person character is just stumbling along in his life from point A to point B and eventually ending up where I wanted them at the end. So, it's a lot reaction and consequences that have to be dealt with.

I'll shut up now.

Kiix devil.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've just recently joined the forum and I'm finding it full of fascinating topics.

I'm surprised to hear many of you say that your English teachers and professors discouraged you from writing fiction in first person. huh.gif First person is inappropriate for some things, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it for fiction/fan fiction writing.

I pick my POV to match what I'm trying to do with my piece. For most pieces, I choose a type of limited third person. Usually I designate one or two characters to follow closely throughout the piece, including some of their internal thoughts. I used this style with "Every Breath You Take."

If it is a lengthy piece with a complex plot, I will usually choose one character per scene to follow. Sometimes it's fun to examine an event from several different POV's. I used this style with my novel-length story, "Witness."

If I wish to change my focus character in the midst of a scene, I do try to make a proper transition between POV's. Since I've received no reviews stating that they had difficulty following my POV transitions, I have to assume that I'm reasonably successful. They certainly haven't been shy about the constructive criticism. tomato.gif

When I really want to get to know a character, I take a walk in his/her skin. In other words, I write in first person. "My Name Is Brooklyn" was written as that sort of excercise. I suppose I would call it a sort of character portrait.

Another use for first person for me would be for a story that conveys something very intimate. I have an ongoing PWP that is written in first person -- "Good Girls Don't Get Caught." It honestly never occurred to me to approach the story any other way.

I haven't written a story in second person...Hmm....Something I haven't tried. devil.gif

One of the things I absolutely love about AFF is that I have the freedom to experiment with my writing. And since none of my readers know me personally, there's no axe to grind. So, hopefully the feedback I receive is honest and sincere.

Anways...Thanks for letting me babble on... yawn.gif

Ginevra

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a very descriptive heavy writer, it's probably due to my start in writing being mostly poetry, and having to write descriptive pieces all through school. I'm awful when it comes to writing dialogue, and it ends up showing, especially in certain situations, like phone conversations, or just general natter, mostly because I'm an absolute plank in those situations.

For longer works I tend to favour third person, mostly because I'll have multiple characters, and I want to be able to explore all of them more completely. I've written first person in a couple of original snippets, and in a lot of poetry. First person is a style that I do enjoy when written well, because it really let's you get into the characters and the scene very quickly. However some of my favourite pieces that I've written are second person, and I love reading 2nd POVs when they're written well, they give you a bit of insight but leave a bit of intrigue as well.

Unfortunately the majority of my work is gen and/or not adult enough, so I can't post it to AFF, but eventually I'll get to work on my more adult pieces, and then I'll bombard the site with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to write a lot of dialogue. I know some people have a problem writing it, but I find it easy for some reason. There are times when I'm a bit to descrpitive and then other times when I lack it.

I don't like to write in one person's view for an entire one-shot or even a chapter. I've tried but it's just not my thing! I do pride myself on coming up with unique plots and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the third person omniscient past tense POV, but every now, I'll slide into first person present. My super crazy dark stuff seems to always be written in the present, where as my run-of-the-mill angst is past tense.

I've even tried a third person limited present tense once. It went nowhere, but I really loved the overall feel of it. I'm considering re-working the basic original concept into fitting into a larger project, since it used the same characters.

The dialog:action ratio is also highly dependent on what's going on, too. Since a lot of my writing takes place inside a character's head, I'm not only doing words and actions, but also a lot of snarky side remarks as well. If something super crazy action-oriented is going on, there's almost no inner monologue, and little talking. But then, there are also scenes where a lot of conversation is going on, with weird actions just as character points.

I haven't written a story in second person...Hmm....Something I haven't tried. devil.gif

Can't say that anymore. This past weekend I wrote my first second person/present tense POV piece and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. http://xmen.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600090320

I thought it would feel awkward, but once I got started I fell right into it. I even got an unqualified positive review from one of my best concrit readers.

So now, I'll have to find the next thing I haven't done...Hmm... think.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I usually write in third person, though I suppose it depends on the story as far as how much the readers know about the character's thoughts. Like I have one, Merry Christmas Baby, where I was just being an ass when I wrote it, so the readers get to see a lot of the inner workings of the character's minds.

On that same note, Power At Hand, not so much. It has more detail, where I worked on the fighting scene (something I'm not all that great at). My main problem those is I have this nasty habit of avoiding dialogue if I can, and I know I need to curve that. ^^; So I'm hoping to do so soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a third person writer, with a definite penchant for epic style romances. In fact, I'll admit to being a hopeless romantic.

I've started to do a few stream of consciousness pieces, but none of them are erotic/adult in context.

I have written in first person, and did enjoy it but find it too much trouble!

I guess mine are a mix of things. I don't really have a style that I do all the time. Wherever the Muse leads me I follow.

Beth

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends on the type of story I'm writing and what the character is like. For example, for solstice i had to focus on three different characters, but we hear mostly from my first MC. Because he has a split personality, I didn't have him narrorating the thing since he is out of himself through some of the story. Whenever I'm doing human drama I try to do it from the MC's point of view as with Stagnation of Love. We don't get out of my MC's head until the very ending and it is only for a few lines. However, when I'm writing horror, I like doing things from the victim's and killer's point of view, so I stay in second. The worst method I've ever had was flipping a coin. pinch.gif