Click Here!

Film Adaptations

NightScribe

Of course, the length of most HP novels requires cuts when adapted for film. I can live with most. But I found with GoF that a scene was cut that had me truly stunned.

I was in the theatre, waiting...waiting...waiting, for the big scene where Snape "outs" himself as a Death Eater in front of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, etc. And it never happened! Honestly, I sat there, incredulous, for the rest of the film. I admit, that left me feeling rather indifferent about the whole movie. I've warmed up to it since, through DVD viewings, but that missing part still blows me away. Isn't that kind of important? It plays a rather big part in the following films, hell it's part of the set-up for the fifth! (I was also looking forward to the Yule Ball scene where Snape was breaking up the couples-at least we got that on the DVD).

Anyway, was anybody else a bit dumbfounded by that particular cut? I can do without the house elves and other things, but to snip that is just wrong. Have there been any other edits, in any of the films, that you didn't agree with?

Guest lightgoddess

I was kind of pissed that they cut all of Karakof's running to Snape about the mark except like in one place or something. I was also extremely pissed about Snape outting himself not being in there.

I'm afraid that in the fifth movie they'll cut out the whole part about the Inquisitorial Squad or whatever it was when they caught the Gryffindor's and took them to Umbridge's office. You know, before the Dept. of Mysteries where Harry shouts at Snape 'They have Padfoot in the unknowable place' or something like that. I also hope that in the sixth movie they don't cut out Spinner's End! I want to see that WHOLE chapter acted out along with the unbreakable vow. Otherwise, they can hack and chop both books into little bitty bits. I'll still not like the movies as well as the books. It's kind of a rule.

I'm afraid that in the fifth movie they'll cut out the whole part about the Inquisitorial Squad or whatever it was when they caught the Gryffindor's and took them to Umbridge's office. You know, before the Dept. of Mysteries where Harry shouts at Snape 'They have Padfoot in the unknowable place' or something like that.

From what I saw on an HP fan site, they filmed that scene. The guy who plays Crabbe or Goyle was commenting on it. Of course, it could get cut, but I hope not.

Spinner's End, yes!!!! In fact, I think they should just start the sixth film with Spinner's End. Screw that first chapter about the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic talking, that bored the hell out of me, quite frankly. I've read so much into that chapter, (SE) I want to see it, unadulterated. To my mind, sixth film should just start with that, then, after the Unbreakable Vow is made, go from those twisted coils around their wrists to the title sequence and then...we're off. (No, I haven't thought too much about this.)

Guest lightgoddess
Spinner's End, yes!!!! In fact, I think they should just start the sixth film with Spinner's End. Screw that first chapter about the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic talking, that bored the hell out of me, quite frankly. I've read so much into that chapter, (SE) I want to see it, unadulterated. To my mind, sixth film should just start with that, then, after the Unbreakable Vow is made, go from those twisted coils around their wrists to the title sequence and then...we're off. (No, I haven't thought too much about this.)

Sweet Mother of Merlin! Great minds must think alike! I actually thought the same thing myself! Of course, if they could get Tony Blair to play the PM, that might be cool to watch. lol Oh! Another part I want to see in the fifth movie is at least ONE detention with Umbridge! I want to see how they do the 'I must not tell lies' on Harry's hand! It would, of course, set up the scene in HBP where Harry shows Scrimgour his scarred hand and basically tells him to go screw himself. That scene is also a MUST NOT CUT for the sixth movie.

at least ONE detention with Umbridge! I want to see how they do the 'I must not tell lies' on Harry's hand!

My god, I forgot about that. I thought that was a particularly creepy and twisted bit on Rowling's part. The darker those stories get the better.

Sixth film must have the Inferi, or whatever you call them. That was so vivid to me; that weird green light in the cave and Harry slashing open those things, too cool.

Guest lightgoddess
My god, I forgot about that. I thought that was a particularly creepy and twisted bit on Rowling's part. The darker those stories get the better.

Sixth film must have the Inferi, or whatever you call them. That was so vivid to me; that weird green light in the cave and Harry slashing open those things, too cool.

OMG!! YES! The fifth book has also got to have Firenze's classroom and atleast one of his divination classes!

I was in the theatre, waiting...waiting...waiting, for the big scene where Snape "outs" himself as a Death Eater in front of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, etc. And it never happened! Honestly, I sat there, incredulous, for the rest of the film. I admit, that left me feeling rather indifferent about the whole movie. I've warmed up to it since, through DVD viewings, but that missing part still blows me away. Isn't that kind of important? It plays a rather big part in the following films, hell it's part of the set-up for the fifth! (I was also looking forward to the Yule Ball scene where Snape was breaking up the couples-at least we got that on the DVD).

Anyway, was anybody else a bit dumbfounded by that particular cut? I can do without the house elves and other things, but to snip that is just wrong. Have there been any other edits, in any of the films, that you didn't agree with?

Gah! That was the one part of GoF that I was waiting to see. I couldn't wait to see what kind of twists, or maybe clues, might surface in that scene. I honestly could have given a good goddamn about most of the film. It felt choppy, like it skipped time, particularly important bits of time, in my opinion.

After Harry whooped Voldemort, so to speak, I was leaning forward in my theater seat, far enough that the springs should have pulled the seat up and out from under me, in anticipation of the Infirmary scene where Snape gets all "look at the cool Death Eater tattoo on my forearm. Isn't it pretty?", but then...Dumbledore! Great Hall! Tragic loss! WTF?! blink.gif

I spent the rest of the movie impersonating a fish and speaking in clipped phrases and muttered curse words.

"But I...why would they...I don't...what about...Fudge was supposed to...I can't believe..."

My husband certainly got an earful when we got back to the car. To which he replied, "Didn't get enough of you precious Rickman, did you?"

"That", I informed him, "is not the point."

If it makes you feel any better, Poly, I was waiting for that scene too and was equally flabbergasted that they left it out. And it wasn't because I was hoping to get a glance of that carefully hidden forearm flesh either...really....

They cut so much out of the story that it left me wondering why they even bothered at all. I was incredulous that Molly wasn't in it at all - not even for Harry on parents day or whatever it was? That they left out Winky completely wasn't as shocking but, still, it annoyed me.

After Harry whooped Voldemort, so to speak, I was leaning forward in my theater seat, far enough that the springs should have pulled the seat up and out from under me, in anticipation of the Infirmary scene where Snape gets all "look at the cool Death Eater tattoo on my forearm. Isn't it pretty?", but then...Dumbledore! Great Hall! Tragic loss! WTF?! 

I spent the rest of the movie impersonating a fish and speaking in clipped phrases and muttered curse words.

"But I...why would they...I don't...what about...Fudge was supposed to...I can't believe..."

My husband certainly got an earful when we got back to the car. To which he replied, "Didn't get enough of you precious Rickman, did you?"

"That", I informed him, "is not the point."

ROTFLMAO laugh.gif

And it wasn't because I was hoping to get a glance of that carefully hidden forearm flesh either...really....

Nanaea, just watch Dark Harbor to appease that craving for flesh wink.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Enchanted Faery

so i didn't read all the responses on this, so forgive me if i repeat something.

Okay, so I heard that in the 5th movie they aren't even going to have the fight scene on the quidditch field between Malfoy and harry! I was totally looking forward to that! i wanted to see how they brawled!

Another thing...in the 4th movie I was SOOOOOO....disappointed! I really wanted to see the part where the twins trick Dudley into eating the candy that causes his tounge to grow! I was also kinda irritated cuz they didn't even mention spew and they changed a few things, so irritating! Anyway that's that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.