Click Here!

Has Casting Made A Difference?

NightScribe

In regards to the adult characters in the HP world, do you think the choices in film casting had any kind of impact on fans? What I mean is, if you read the books before seeing any of the films, did an actor change your opinion of a character, for better or worse?

Examples: I really liked Gary Oldman as Sirius, but when I started to read the novels (after the 3rd film) I couldn't stand the character (apologies to all Sirius lovers out there).

Do you think Snape would be such an iconic figure now if the original choice to play the role had done it, instead of Alan Rickman? (I'm saying a big NO to that one).

And Voldemort...I was really kind of indifferent to him and didn't quite feel how evil he was when reading the books. I think Ralph Fiennes was the perfect choice to make that evil palpable, not to mention creepy.

I agree, 100%. If it wasn't for Rickman, I don't think the amount of ladies (and some gents, for that matter) swooning over Snape would be that great. Just for fun:

Black silk bedding....$800.00

Perfectly fitted lingerie, stockings and shoes....$395.00

Barry White CDs....$100.00

Night of unbridled passion with Severus Snape....priceless wink.gif

My, Nanaea, I must agree. *blushes*

In all honesty, I had no interest in Harry Potter, nor did I know anything about the books, until I saw the first HP movie. When casting the role of Severus Snape, those dastardly casting directors did a bang-up job and cast one of my *swoon* favorite actors--which is just a vague way of saying my most favorite-est of favorite-est actors--Alan Rickman.

I have no trouble admitting that I probably would have never even picked up the books if not for Alan Rickman’s portrayal of Severus Snape. Actually, I didn’t read the books until after the third movie. Moreover, I only read them because I wanted to know what Mr. Rickman was going to be up to in the upcoming films.

I’m certainly glad I did, but it was the casting of the movie that did it, not the story. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE the story. I’m well into my fifth fanfic, so I clearly enjoy the world JKR created, but none of it would exist in my little world if not for my preexisting infatuation with the one Alan Rickman.

Also, I must agree with you as well, Inkslinger. I’ve been a fan of Gary Oldman’s work since Stan in The Professional and I loved him as Sirius, or I loved Sirius because of him. Anyway, after I read book 5, I lost a bit of love for the character. I hope Gary will infuse the character with a bit more…I don’t know…oomph, make him three-dimensional, much like Fiennes did with Voldemort and Rickman did with Snape.

So, I can’t say if my opinion of Snape would be different. I hadn’t read the books yet and my opinion of Rickman has been biased since I watched Die Hard a decade ago. On a bit of a different note, I was on the fence as to whether or not Snape was evil until book 6. It was HBP that proved to me that Snape is a good guy. Hmm…guess I’ll find out around this time next year.

*Goes off to start ticking the days off the calendar*

Guest Madapple

Actually, I also agree that casting has made the difference, and in some aspects, I think the choices while ok, could have been better.

In my Harry Potter Universe, Sirius Black is Sean Bean, not that Gary Oldman isn't perfectly wonderful, but he is, well... short. Gary was a great Beethoven, not a great Sirius. Although now that it's done I wouldn't change it for the world.

Also in my HP universe, Ralph Fiennes should have been Remus Lupin, not that David Thewlis isn't perfectly wonderful, but werewolf Ralph Fiennes It's enough to make a fan girl faint. Actually, whe I heard RF was cast as Voldemort, my initial reaction was, "Voldemort isn't supposed to be hot!" Bizarrely enough, I did find him sexy. blink.gif I think it was the Robes, or maybe that way he said "Crucio."

Which leaves my choice for Voldemort. I would have chosen Jeremy Irons, because he is the right age, and has that sort of smarmy charm and charisma, which is how I usually picture LV.

Everyone else I think is bang on, especially our beloved Potion's Master, who, I agree, would not have reached this iconic status if played by anyone else.

Guest Necrotizing Faciitis

I think Gary Oldman's doin a wonderful job, and I compleeeeeetely agree about Alan Rickman being the reason for my borderline-unhealthy obsession with Professor Snape, as well as Hermione/Snape fanfiction. There's still the seventh book to make that ship canon!

I don't mind David Thewlis as Remus... the only thing I don't like is that weird little mustache they gave him. And I pictured him with longer hair. Less French-looking, I suppose.

And all hail Jason Isaacs as Lucious Lucius. <3

Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid is a stroke of pure genius. If you've ever seen him in "Cracker", you will notice this role shows his versatility, since the character is diametrically opposed to that role. I also adore Maggie Smith as McGonnagal, she is so intently the teacher, that I want her to be my teacher. Of course, the irrasable whatshisname that everyone is drooling over is good too. He just has to present, and suddenly he can't be ignored. It's the way he stands, girls, you just know he's got it. His character is so obtuse, it's difficult to pin him down as a really intimidating good guy, or a dastardly bad guy. He takes his time. That's his charm.

I can't say as I recall my impression of Snape when I read the 1st book (I read first, saw movie later). I think he was meant to be imposing and intimidating, since what the school is up to is quite dangerous when you think about it. (All that power being taught to children.) I didn't have time to read the rest of the books, except here and there, so most of my HP storyline experience has been the film. I can't say anymore than that. JK is extremely imaginative.

Guest AmazingEnthusiasto

I don't understand all the David Thewlis hating that occured post-PoA. He's the reason I bothered to read the books. I simply love his interpretation of Lupin in the film, and it drew me into reading "OotP," and "HBP" just to see what happens to his character.

What I can't believe is this notion that Remus Lupin has to be "handsome." No where does it indicate in the books that he's a Gilderoy Lockhart or anything. In fact, I rather like the contrast between that dandy and the ragged, sorrowful Lupin.

Also, I think Thewlis is unconventionally attractive, with a great voice and presence, and does a terrific job with the role. Breaks my heart.

I agree that Thewlis is perfect for Lupin. The thing that bothered me the most was that mustache *shivers*. Now, I'm not a mustache hater, far from it. My father had one most of my life and my dh has had one as long as I've known him. But I just don't like it on Thewlis/Lupin. huh.gif And yes, while he's not conventionally handsome he's still got it as far as I'm concerned. wink.gif

I loved him in Dinotopia, he played the slimy, greedy Crabb well, and he absolutely gave me the creeps in Dragonheart, but I just adore him as Lupin. I think he really nailed the character. I can't wait to see him in New World. And I must see Restoration at some point as well because he looks sooo dashing in the screen caps!

Did you know he writes poetry as well?

Fly

Where, and when, and if,

I die

I desire to revisit this filth

As a fly

and on some squalid afternoon

Fly smack into your bathroom,

Small and black,

And crawl all over

Your naked young back.

I know you imagine I'm a sensitive man,

But I'm afraid that's just

The kind of fly

I am.

~David Thewlis

I loved Robbie Coltrane as Cracker and I understand BBC America will be airing another one sometime in the near future. I'm looking forward to it. I've been a Maggie Smith fan for ages as well.

Of course, the irrasable whatshisname that everyone is drooling over is good too. He just has to present, and suddenly he can't be ignored. It's the way he stands, girls, you just know he's got it.

I understand exactly what you mean, it's his carriage and demeanor and let's not forget that indefinable something called "charisma." Someone does not have to be "classically" handsome or beautiful to have "it" to make them attractive. Rickman is loaded with "it." That voice doesn't hurt or hinder either. I mean, I adore Hans Gruber, sociopath that he is. (And, God, can you picture him as Valmont in "Dangerous Liaisons?" I practically swoon at the thought!)

I don't understand all the David Thewlis hating that occured post-PoA

Neither do I. I thought he was spot on in his characterization. You cannot help but sympathize for the truly gentle man driven to violence through no fault of his own. He became one of my favorite characters.

Ralph Fiennes should have been Remus Lupin, not that David Thewlis isn't perfectly wonderful, but werewolf Ralph Fiennes It's enough to make a fan girl faint. Actually, whe I heard RF was cast as Voldemort, my initial reaction was, "Voldemort isn't supposed to be hot!" Bizarrely enough, I did find him sexy.

Fiennes as Lupin would have been interesting, but he's got such a talent for humanizing villains (Schindler's List, Red Dragon) and making them...alluring. Voldemort had to have something (that charisma thing again) to get people to follow him right?

Guest AmazingEnthusiasto
I loved him in Dinotopia, he played the slimy, greedy Crabb well, and he absolutely gave me the creeps in Dragonheart, but I just adore him as Lupin. I think he really nailed the character. I can't wait to see him in New World.

Dinotopia. HAHAHAHAHA. Sorry. tongue.gif

But yes, I think he plays a fabulous villain. Very slimy, gets under your skin.

My favorite Thewlis role (besides Lupin, of course) is Mr. Kinsky in "Besieged." If you haven't seen this film, I really recommend it. David has beautiful hands, and he plays a lonely, eccentric pianist living in Italy who falls in love with his married housekeeper, played by Thandie Newton. Excellent film.

And yes, I have read his poetry and LOVE it. Thanks for posting it here, though. Always nice to read. smile.gif

Guest lightgoddess

I read the books before seeing the movies, myself. I think everyone they have cast, save Gary Oldman as Sirius, has been bang on. I also prefer the first guy...what's his name who died... as Dumbledore. Everyone looks pretty much like I imagined they should. I think Rickman is a little too old to play Snape, but he does it very, very well. *purrs* As a matter of fact, I saw a picture drawn of Snape on HP Lexicon that was exactly how I envisioned him. It's the sketch of him gazing down at his dark mark.

As far as Thewlis being Remus, I found him rather charming, exactly the personality that I imagined Remus would have though he looked nothing like the Lupin of my imagination who was much, much thinner with more pronounced cheekbones. I also thought the mustche was rather interesting, not bad, but strangely Remus. *ducks the flying tomatoes*

Also Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort was a good choice, but Jeremy Irons would have been excellent, too! I also think that Rickman would have been a good Voldemort. He would have made Voldemort the star of many fanfics, I think, much like he has Snape.

I think Rickman is a little too old to play Snape, but he does it very, very well.

Have any Rickman fans ever seen The Barchester Chronicles? From around 1983? My God! Rickman was in his 30's but he looked about 25 or 26. It's a period piece and he plays a somewhat ambitious, ruthless clergyman. Of course, he's dressed all in black and his character's name is, get this, Obadiah Slope. That's right. Slope. I swear, aside from the light colored hair, he was Snape. Hmmm....did J.K. Rowling get some inspiration there???? (I've read she hand picked Rickman for Snape).

I loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore. Everytime I watch the first two films, I just think, "man, I miss him!" He perfectly embodied the character.

Guest Madapple

I agree with the comments about Michael Gambon's Dumbledore. I think he is far too, well, physical. (e.g. in he film when Harry's name popped out of th GoF, Dumbledore ran down the stairs and shook him. Dumbledore would not have done that.)

I miss Richard Harris as well, and thought his portrayal of AD was spot on. He was able to mix that sense of aging frailty with magical strength and wisdom so well.

I like Gambon, thought he was brilliant in Gosford Park, but after 2 movies, he still hasn't won me over as Dumbledore.

Have any Rickman fans ever seen The Barchester Chronicles? From around 1983? My God! Rickman was in his 30's but he looked about 25 or 26. It's a period piece and he plays a somewhat ambitious, ruthless clergyman. Of course, he's dressed all in black and his character's name is, get this, Obadiah Slope. That's right. Slope. I swear, aside from the light colored hair, he was Snape. Hmmm....did J.K. Rowling get some inspiration there???? (I've read she hand picked Rickman for Snape).

We HAVE to get together and watch my DVDs sometime. I have quite a few that star whatshisname...you know, the one with the freakishly apparent charisma. Yeah, him. I know you'd never guess, but I'm sort of a closeted fan of his.

BTW, Obadiah is a wonderful example of how whatshisname looks in my imagination when I'm writing Snape. He's...mmm... mellow.gif *mind wanders and all thought ceases save for...mmm...*

Guest lightgoddess
Does your DVD collection include "Dark Harbor"? I had a bit of a time finding a copy of that one. Strange little film, but interesting.

Hell yes it's interesting! But, then, anything with Rickman's bits making an appearance is bound to grab my attention. biggrin.gif *note to self get on Amazon and find that damned movie again!*

Does your DVD collection include "Dark Harbor"? I had a bit of a time finding a copy of that one. Strange little film, but interesting.

It's there, along with anything else I stumble across on amazon, ebay, anything that might come rapped in brown paper so the old' hubby won't wise up. We collect a lot of movies, so he has yet to figure out that Rickman happens to pop up in quite a few of them.

While looking up a bit on Dostoevsky a while back, I found out that Rickman did an independent film adaptation of Brothers Karamazov. Haven't seen that yet. I think he was in a stage adaptation as well. Can’t remember…brain melting in the heat. Honestly, I’m not obsessed enough to know the names of all his stage characters as well. Who has the time!? blink.gif

Just saw the trailer for Snowcake, BTW, to drag this topic entirely off topic. Now that I know what it’s about, it might not be so bad after all. At least I wasn’t like that poor girl at Potter Place that though it had vampires in it. Heh…vampires. An article about Rickman featured the word “vampish” when referring to Carrie-Ann Moss’ character, and the poor girl misunderstood. laugh.gif

What the????? Is the site freaking out or is someone messing with me? I didn't post the bit quoted in poly's post. The tip off was that I don't have a husband!!!!

blink.gif

Yes...yes...poly quoted herself in her post because her ability to copy/paste must have been affected by the heat. *wanders away whistling innocently*

It's okay Poly *pats her on the shoulder* I think the heat's getting to all of us.

Now, back to the topic. As a very recent HP convert (thanks alot Poly! wink.gif ) I'd definately agree that the casting affected my perception of certain charaters at first. But I read faster than I get to the video store, so by the time I got to PofA I had only seen the first movie. Therefore, I had already developed a strong distaste for Sirius (apologies... really) and even Gary Oldman couldn't save him for me.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think it is a two way street. Yes, casting can affect my feelings toward a character, but the character can affect my feelings on casting as well...

Wow... huh.gif sit on the fence much Daz? I need to learn to form an opinion.

Wow... huh.gif sit on the fence much Daz? I need to learn to form an opinion.

laugh.gif

BTW...I did nothing to push Dazzled toward the wondrous world of Potter...except talk about it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time. See? No blame can be laid here.

*steps over the blame and resumes the innocent whistling*

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.