Click Here!

Too Much Of A Good Thing?

NightScribe

So, a couple of months ago, I started reading a fic that showed promise, but by the 5th chapter, I lost interest. The writing was fine, but was more of a "I hate you/like you, slap and tickle" kind of thing, and pretty romancy WAFF-ish (not coded as such, as I recall). A shame really, the first chapter showed possibilities of some real interesting conflict.

Anyway, I see the fic when I'm in that archive and bless 'em they keep posting. And the reviews! They've got tons. So I clicked on them. Of about 50, I'd say 12 are from different people and the remainder are all from the same person (a real user who's written in the same fandom).

Here's where it gets weird. This fan doesn't really review. They'll put in quotes from the story, or write what I'm guessing is what they'd do if they were one of the characters, they leave links to websites and really don't critique much, they use the review section to chat. It's a little strange. And kind of annoying, at times I feel sorry for the author, like their story is being hi-jacked by this reviewer.

I think it's great if someone really digs your story that much, but I have to wonder if they're really lonely and just feel a connection with this author, which is kind of sad. But at times, it almost comes across like stalking. I also feel badly for other potential readers who might want to read the fic, but read the reviews first and get turned off by what they see.

Ever have something like that happen to you? Or seen something similar? I'm not talking about someone who leaves several articulate critiques, but decides to use the review area to chat. I mean, isn't that what e-mail is for? Any thoughts?

Guest Melody Fate

I've seen that sort of thing before. Recently, I saw someone using the "reviews" function to bitch about another writer on the site. It was totally whacked, because there's this story written by one person and several reviews talking about how this other person, who's in no way connected with the author of the story, is "tormenting" the reviewer.

I've had a few reviews that have had me scratching my head for a few minutes, but at least I'm pretty sure they're talking about my story, thankfully.

Guest Jackie_Boi

I haven't had any problems like that really...altho, Melody, I've gotten the crazy reviews that leave you staring at the screen thinking, "WTF did I just read? Is this a review?" I've also gotten the person that reviews after every "cool" or "interesting" part they read. So, the'd give like 3 or 4 reviews for one update. I didn't mind too much tho. As long as it doesn't get outrageous.

• 1 year later...
Guest Monsterking

i have got one very faithfull reviewer whom is the only source of reviews i have so i don understand why you would complain about an dedicated reader letting you know what he thinks of course if he is flamming you each time well...