Click Here!

The AFF.net Bar

Palantean Writer

I'm not sure how acceptable the mods will find this thread here, so guys, if you want to move it then obviously, do so. Or delete it, or whatever. But I hope that this will make for a helpful exchange service for the Original fiction writers at least.

On that subject, I've got an idea to only have Original story writers in here as not all of us are very familiar with the various fandoms covered at AFF.net, but if fanfiction writers want in on this too then I wouldn't have any real objection to that.

This thread is intended as an equivalent to the FictionPress.com thread Want Reviews? C'mon up to the bar... The thread works roughly on an exchange scheme (and it might be worth mentioning at this point that the linked thread has now closed due to popularity and restarted here, and is 36 pages long at the time of writing. So, since getting reviews here on AFF.net seems quite a tricky thing to do, I thought it might be worth having a crack at doing the same here.

As at the Bar, I'd like to request that the participants of this thread at least become conscious of what is a good review, and what is not. To quote Mi.Ishi, the Bar moderator:

Good reviews are - Reviews that tell us what you liked, disliked, what type of feeling did you get from reading the piece and any comments on the characters involved.

Now this is just an example and you can review however you want, but reviews that are not really good or not informative to the author enough are normally the one liners.

Bad Reviews and One liners - "This was a good story." (Why was it good?)

"Give me more update soon." (Why?)

"I like the main character and the setting you used." (Why, and Why?")

So I'll go to the Originals section and make a start today, and let's see how well this goes down...

I have reviewed:

Through Hardships Unknown by Ryo.

Partner by Ayato.

Searching for the One by gipsy_queen

Beech by disembodiedvoiceofthedying

I request reviews for my only story, How to be Happy:

Rating: Adult+

Warnings: Multiple.

Genre: Fantasy/Science Fiction.

Synopsis: A highly confident gay aristocrat with a wicked sense of humour sets out to have fun. But when disaster strikes, he finds he has only the sourest man in town to rely on.

Anyone who reviews my work will be repaid with a review of a chapter of their own work, so let me know what you want me to review by return and I'll be happy to do so.

Edited by Palantean Writer

I have reviewed:

Why Must I Suffer? by RailaRay

A Cake Made of Love by Kristofer

Gathering the Falling Stars by Demon Yazuha

Teacher/Teacher by Peregrinus

Thank you so much for reviewing my story Palantean! I loved how your review was layed out. Very thorough. I like reviews like these! Please continue to read. Chapter five is ip! :P

This is a pretty good idea. However, I wouldn't simply read a story and review it out of some form of obligation to the writer. I will review the stories that appeal to me. The categories I enjoy in original fiction are science fiction, fantasy and certain historicals.

If I've caught a story late which means there's about 20 chapters already uploaded. If I like it then I try to make it a point to leave a review once I've caught up on the chapters posted. Sometimes I'll even review before I've caught up to let the author know that I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'll admit that sometimes I forget but not often.

I don't discriminate in my reviews and if I feel a story has merit I will leave one regardless of how many hits or previous reviews it already has. Although, I find that some authors are so well renowned that whatever they post within days has several reviews. Those types of authors tend to have one or more titles with sometimes several hundred reviews under their belts. To me, leaving a review there would seem like just a drop in the bucket. A lot of these types of authors never seem to reply to them, and sometimes if the story is abandoned you're left to wonder if they realize it is still being reviewed. Who knows, people could have changed their email addresses and not be able to receive notifications.

With that being said I praise your idea and may check out your story when I have time. =)

I reviewed How to be Happy for ya.

I was trying to follow the guidelines for Good Review, but think I ended up with mediocre quality review. Reviewing stories is certainly something I need more practice on.

That's fantastic and thanks for your feedback - actually it's pretty good! I'll get onto reviewing one of yours within the next few days.

This is a pretty good idea. However, I wouldn't simply read a story and review it out of some form of obligation to the writer. I will review the stories that appeal to me. The categories I enjoy in original fiction are science fiction, fantasy and certain historicals.

That seems fair. To be honest, I've reviewed (via the reciprocal programme) stories that don't appeal to me over at FP.net and it doesn't always work that well. I think that, broadly speaking, it works well enough that it's definitely worth it, but just occasionally you'll find a story you just can't get into, it's true. To me, it's worth reviewing someone else's work, asking for a review back and if they don't, just don't review them again. I've lost (and, indeed, gained) a few free reviews that way. But hey, swings and roundabouts.

If I've caught a story late which means there's about 20 chapters already uploaded. If I like it then I try to make it a point to leave a review once I've caught up on the chapters posted. Sometimes I'll even review before I've caught up to let the author know that I'm liking what I'm seeing. I'll admit that sometimes I forget but not often.

Aha. Well, what I do is to review chapter by chapter, even though on AFF.net they don't really sort reviews by chapter as far as I can tell, just by the latest review to be left in chronological order. But as you choose.

I don't discriminate in my reviews and if I feel a story has merit I will leave one regardless of how many hits or previous reviews it already has. Although, I find that some authors are so well renowned that whatever they post within days has several reviews.

Galling, isn't it? :P

Those types of authors tend to have one or more titles with sometimes several hundred reviews under their belts. To me, leaving a review there would seem like just a drop in the bucket. A lot of these types of authors never seem to reply to them, and sometimes if the story is abandoned you're left to wonder if they realize it is still being reviewed. Who knows, people could have changed their email addresses and not be able to receive notifications.

That could be the case and I'm still trying out who is more, or less, likely to review.

With that being said I praise your idea and may check out your story when I have time. =)

I'd be much-obliged, and again I will do my best to reciprocate!

In fact, I keep meaning to get onto reviewing Haywire's Shut Up and Drive as he's done a similar programme like this. I'll see if he/she is up for it.

Edited by Palantean Writer

• 5 weeks later...

A few of you might have noticed that I haven't updated this in a while. I'm afraid I'm a bit short of time so need to drop this as a project.

However, the point of it was - and is - to get as many people as possible reviewing each other, so if anyone want so jump in and do their bit, by all means do it. Even if you only do it for a little while it means that we're making more of a culture of review-sharing.

All the best, everyone.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.