Click Here!

Posting a "story that's not theirs"

wanderingaddict

What's odd is we've been seeing a fair bit of this sort of thing recently, where the person states the story is "not mine", with very vague details. Often with the "not mine" story being something that may have been abandoned or the original writer simply has a horrendous block and couldn't finish it, but then these people think it's okay to take it without permission anyway. Nope, I don't get it either...lol.

Thanks for the heads up.

heh, yeah, I mean, you'd think that if they actually cared about spreading the author's story they'd either make an account in the Author's original name and post it, or else mark the thing up with contact links and big signs about how to find the original person and, and... and... heh, I really don't get it at all. it's just like... why?

• 2 months later...
Guest Calamus
heh, yeah, I mean, you'd think that if they actually cared about spreading the author's story they'd either make an account in the Author's original name and post it, or else mark the thing up with contact links and big signs about how to find the original person and, and... and... heh, I really don't get it at all. it's just like... why?

I believe they want what everyone wants, glory, fame and tribute. Without having to do a single thing. In the easiest way possible, by taking it from someone else.

Well, if they don't respond, the worst that happens is they get deleted entirely. Kind of depends, really. Initially, such a story is hidden while we wait for user response for permission being had to do this from the original author. They provide that permission, I leave the story alone. They don't, it's deleted. If I find they're doing this to post for a friend or something who's underage, THEY are deleted.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's another of the "it's not mine" authors...and this one says that none of the five belong to them.

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/authors.php?no=1945 (4 HP, 1 Buffy)

--all stories deleted, as this was a direct TOS violation

Edited by DemonGoddess061

Sorry - just saw that you'd replied here. Would have included abandoned fic link if the author had thought to credit the original author at all. Honestly, I wouldn't have known (because I was skimming the story and not reading it) if the author (thief?) hadn't told on herself in the other story she posted. Either the story was on another site (and a search for key phrases at FFNet turned up nil for shit fics w/ 3 chapters) or it was here and has been deleted (or was on a page I didn't read)

Here's the AN: "Also, check out my other story, Life after Edward, I didn't write the first three chaps, i finished it for someone who gave up."

Not cool. And I agree, getting extremely old.

• 3 weeks later...

Cartoons: Ben 10:

unexpected attraction - AN bottom: "note the credit of this rewrite goes to the author killed 2 death"

author on fic: Shakespeare

--If you look, he said that he wrote the original, it was rewritten by someone else, and then he posted the rewrite. If you could email this in though, I'll still take a closer look. DG

• 2 weeks later...

Daria: Sappho and Galadriel of Lawndale AN Ch 8:

This fanfiction went incompleted after this chapter, unfortunately, for various reasons. The message board it was being written on eventually became defunct and no longer exists. ... I found it in a Yahoo archive and couldn't let it go unnoticed.

posted by Daria_slash_all_stars :tomato:

---added for processing/work up -DG 9/4

Please stay by Leanne :clap:

Not my story its my cousins

---added for processing/work up -DG 9/5

A night to Remember by Remus Lupin :cry:

the person who wrote the m/m part is :Kira Wood

--this acknowledges a co-writer

KatsuKaiba :pissed:

I actual type these stories with my friends

--I'm guessing this is where the person RPs and then adds a story. Not entirely sure with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600025772

Grrrrr....

The author (z_XcuseMyImperfections_z) has long closed shop, and many of her stories went unfinished. ... So I decided to repost her story, and finish it in honor of her.

;)

I do not intend to say that this story belongs to me, and I do not intend to steal this from her in anyway.

author

original author

original story (but only posted 4 months ago???)

link to story from another archive

--someone added those files to that file sharing site, quite likely without the original author's permission. Nothing I can do about that, but I have hidden the one here. The OA clearly states that her work will remain unfinished. This user needs to respect that. DG

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=33206 poster

This is not a work of mine. I found this fic a long time ago on the Harry Potter Message Boards.

(Why is it, when I'm looking for something, I find all the shit there is to find...but not what I'm looking for?)

Check out greeneyes listing Escape to Life (someone else posting under her name -posthumous?) and Unknowen Curse summary (review whoring in the summary??)

--added both in for workup/processing DG

Brandon's Adventure posted by Ficfags Anonymous

Following the events of Pokemon Emerald. By Dejonic97

sigh... :ph34r:

^----that one has been emailed already, and had multiple stories deleted for this reason. Deleted this story too. DG

http://tv.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600090266

This story came from the 1994 zine Red Rose 1 ... NOR IRON BARS A CAGEby R OLIVIA BROWN
poster

For this one, I'll be going through and checking all the stories, and making sure there are no others posted which do not belong to the user (what I'm doing for the rest of the very old ones as well) - DG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so (because I'm just curious) what's the stance on say, someone continuing a story that the previous author as clearly stated- either on their page or in that story itself- that it's "up for grabs" for anyone to continue? what if they can't be contacted through site resources for expressed permission?

Where the author has stated openly it's up for grabs and they have no intentions of finishing it but someone else can, that's a different sort of thing entirely. Generally, MOST users will still contact the author who put the story up for grabs and get permission anyway.

Now, for something like this, if the author who put it up for grabs is a user here, what I'd like to do (and have done a time or two), is once someone has taken the story on, transfer the story to the new author's account from the original author. I LEAVE the user info in the chapters that already exist, but the control for the story then goes to the person who continues it. Even still, the time or two I've done this, the users in question have emailed me, with the permission given to take over the story from the one, while the other informs me that they've asked and gotten permission as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.