Click Here!

One of the most ridiculous stories I've ever read

I've read some pretty stupid stories in my time in fanfiction (once read a story where HP decided to adopt Dobby as his son and Dobby started calling him Daddy, never mind that Dobby's probably older than he is. Among many other truly ridiculous things. And no, the story was not a parody. It was written seriously by a 30+ year old woman).

But I think I just reached a whole new level of ridiculous with this Naruto/Bleach crossover I just read. And I just had to share: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5471083/1/A_Mo..._Life_and_Death

I have a lot of morbid curiosity but having half of the captains and lieutenants of the Gotei 13 rolled up on the ground crying and puking because the horror of Naruto's lilfe was just too much for them to take... yeah, that killed it.

I've read some pretty stupid stories in my time in fanfiction (once read a story where HP decided to adopt Dobby as his son and Dobby started calling him Daddy, never mind that Dobby's probably older than he is. Among many other truly ridiculous things. And no, the story was not a parody. It was written seriously by a 30+ year old woman).

But I think I just reached a whole new level of ridiculous with this Naruto/Bleach crossover I just read. And I just had to share: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5471083/1/A_Mo..._Life_and_Death

I have a lot of morbid curiosity but having half of the captains and lieutenants of the Gotei 13 rolled up on the ground crying and puking because the horror of Naruto's lilfe was just too much for them to take... yeah, that killed it.

I seem to find a lot of stories like that on fanfiction.net and its really sad what people post over there. I mean the quality of writing on that site has gone down the tubes big time. Its like, every time I look I'll MAYBE find one decent fic but yeah...

I'd seriously throw up a little in my mouth if I read that. I mean, that is just so out of character for ALL the characters that I'd really be fighting the desire to flame the author.

But as they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

But it gets hard to fight that desire as the stories get worse, lol. I've even private messaged a few of those the author's that create those horrid stories to give some advice. What I don't get is how many people review those stories positively. 351 reivews? No way.

Edit: I saw your reviews to her...good job!

I seem to find a lot of stories like that on fanfiction.net and its really sad what people post over there. I mean the quality of writing on that site has gone down the tubes big time. Its like, every time I look I'll MAYBE find one decent fic but yeah...

I'd seriously throw up a little in my mouth if I read that. I mean, that is just so out of character for ALL the characters that I'd really be fighting the desire to flame the author.

But as they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

But it gets hard to fight that desire as the stories get worse, lol. I've even private messaged a few of those the author's that create those horrid stories to give some advice. What I don't get is how many people review those stories positively. 351 reivews? No way.

Edit: I saw your reviews to her...good job!

I know. I've kind of been floating around from site to site trying to find decent stories, but at this point it's only once in a blue moon that I find a story that I actually love. More and more, the stories are just ridiculous. And not only are they ridiculous but hundreds of people clamber over themselves to kiss the asses of the people writing such crap, I just don't get it.

I admit, usually I just move on, but when I get a story as bad as this, I just have to say something. It's just toooooooooooo bad.

And you know what's sad, I just looked back at my review (I don't even remember what I wrote, just remember thinking that I shouldn't be too mean) and I saw a review telling the author to ignore the 2 reviewers before (never mind the fact that my name is clearly there and I'm clearly the same person), that the story was awesome. I just don't get it. Have our standards dropped that low?

it's the same all over really. These horrific stories garner huge perfect scores and glowing reviews. I don't know what is going on but whatever happened to telling the bloody truth? It's OK to like some badly written stuff, i have a few I've adored that I've actually gone through and corrected, but seriously, it seems the worse the story is the more glowing reviews it gets. It's enough to make you want to reach through the computer and shake some sense into people. :D

I think, because it's happened so much or often, that people are afraid if they give an honest opinion that the author will get huffy then remove the story or quit updating. So, rather than be truthful and give honest concrit, they praise it to the highest level of nirvana to do the ego stroke thing in hopes that the author will be one of the few that will actually finish a story. BLERGH! :blink:

it's the same all over really. These horrific stories garner huge perfect scores and glowing reviews. I don't know what is going on but whatever happened to telling the bloody truth? It's OK to like some badly written stuff, i have a few I've adored that I've actually gone through and corrected, but seriously, it seems the worse the story is the more glowing reviews it gets. It's enough to make you want to reach through the computer and shake some sense into people. :D

I know what you mean. I'm starting to move away from fanfiction a bit because it's starting to become more generally poorly written than I remember it being. I used to be able to find a lot more well-written stories than I'm finding these days. Now it's like 9 out of 10 stories I read are crap.

And I've read some stories that were technically poorly written, but had a good plot and story behind it. But these stories are just all around bad. I honestly don't get how people like them. How people think they're the most amazing stories they've ever read ever. It stumps me.

I think, because it's happened so much or often, that people are afraid if they give an honest opinion that the author will get huffy then remove the story or quit updating. So, rather than be truthful and give honest concrit, they praise it to the highest level of nirvana to do the ego stroke thing in hopes that the author will be one of the few that will actually finish a story. BLERGH! :blink:

Yeah, I do know authors like that. But more and more these days, I'm encountering authors who think they're the bloody shit. And nothing you say, no matter how logical, phases them. I had one author, she wrote a Bleach story where Nnoitra was purified and 'reborn' in Soul Society. He retains his personality and decides he wants to become a soul reaper to destroy the ones who destroyed him, blah blah blah, so he joins the Academy. Ichigo dies and gets sent to Soul Society, where they decide he needs to go to the Academy because he doesn't know the basics (because of course it wouldn't be possible to just have one of the shinigami teach him that). Okay, I'm still reading at this point. Then she pairs the two... okay. And then she proceeds to make a big speech about how much stronger Nnoitra is than Ichigo and proceeds to show it repeatedly. Now if you've read or seen Bleach, I'm sure you can already see how stupid this is. Ichigo is a vizard AND on top of that has this freakish potential and rate of growth, but Nnoitra's been reborn as a shinigami alone (no hollow half any longer), but he's stronger. But then on top of that, his hollow half miraculously reappears and he becomes a vizard as well. And then when I point that out, she gets an attitude with me, telling me that I'm confused and that I make no sense. Seriously? And I'm encountering a lot of authors like that now. Give them perfectly logical concrit and they get attitudes. I had another author who could have used a beta badly and on top of the misspelled nearly every character name, place, ability, item from canon. And when I brought it up I was told that spelling doesn't matter as long as the reader knows what she means... I will admit to going off a bit after that one. But that kind of crap annoys me.

Personally, though, I'm not going to praise someone to the heights if they don't deserve it. I think I'd just quicker not review at all, if I think constructive criticism might make the author quit but I'm curious of how the story is going to end. Sometimes though, I think something really needs to be said. I know a lot of people take a hands off approach to fanfics they don't like, but I really feel that if these people are allowed to continue putting out crap, then it's going to make it more and more difficult for fanfiction to continue. I've read interviews with authors who talk about refusing to allow fanfiction to be written because they don't want their characters to be slaughtered by horny, pre-pubescent, grammar-retarded tweens. These people are unfortunately becoming a majority in fanfiction and what people outside of it build their opinions of the entirety on. I feel like their crap is going to eventually make it hard for the quality to continue. Maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic...

On another note, why are like 90% of Naruto/Bleach crossovers Harems. WTF? I was just browsing and Harem after Harem after Harem. It's ridiculous.