Click Here!

Can Someone Be This Desperate For Attention?

NightScribe

I've found a rather strange thing going on with a fic and want to put it out for discussion.

First, by the synopsis, it looked like another story, so I tried reading (already contacted the admins about that) but that's not what this is about.

Every time this person updates, new reviews show up right away, and they all sound the same, but always by 'different' people. Then, I noticed something really weird. Know the ID# assigned to every review? These reviews left, on the same dates, have sequential ID #'s. Every time, between 2 to 4 reviews after each update, boom, boom, boom, one after the other. Come on!

Just to compare, I looked for other stories with approximately the same number of reviews. Even if reviews were left on the same day, the numbers are NOT sequential. So, is this person reviewing themself, or am I a suspicious conspiracy freak? Is that a violation of the TOS somehow? BTW, they claim they wrote the story when they were 16, 2 yrs ago and posted it on another site first, but it was removed. But looking at their profile, it shows they joined AFF 2 years ago. I think this is some kid trying to snow people. Any thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lightgoddess

It probably is some kid reviewing their own story. I watched this happen at another 'adult' site where two girls (13) were using the same handle and posting stuff. When the author kept referring to herself as 'we' I finally ask her if she meant herself and her second head, or if 'we' was she and her siamese twin, but I digress. Reviews from 'unknown' people were coming up immediately and absolutely glowing (when it was obvious by the girls writing style that they were young and just starting out) while reviews by real authors were, of course, flames.

This person probably is desperate. In their mind, the more reviews a story has, the more likely a person is to read it, so they spam themselves up with pretty reviews to distract the reader from the crap that is usually present. I kind of feel sorry for someone who has to give themselves such an ego boost. Maybe I'm just weird and comfortable in my writing because while I love reviews, I'm not such a review whore that I would stoop to reviewing my own stuff.

Guest Melody Fate

You're probably right that they are reviewing themselves and doing a piss poor job of it. I see a lot of that around here. It's always amusing when the author has a particular word he or she will always misspell and what do you know? All their glowing reviews have the exact same word misspelled!

I don't know if it's a TOS violation or not. I hope not. I understand it's annoying, but I look at it this way, if your writing is so pathetic that you have to give it great reviews, that's pretty sad.

Not at AFF, but I do admit that on another site, I did "review" my stuff, but mostly that was because I noticed that no one wanted to be the first person to review. And, all I wrote was, "I see you wrote a story." I didn't want to give any impression of how good or bad the story was, I didn't want to influence people based on a review I gave myself. That was years ago, things seem to have changed and getting reviews doesn't seem as hard as it used to be. If I really am desperate for a review now, I'll get my friend or my husband to write one. They read my stuff anyway, and they know they can rip my stuff apart if they want and I won't care.

When I see stuff like that I'm always torn between feeling very bad for this person (how insecure they must be to have to review themselves in a glowing light. Why not take that effort and try to find out ways to write better so you can get real reviews) or wanting to laugh my ass off at them. Because most of the time, they're so lousy about these reviews that anyone can figure them out, much like you figured out this person.

Guest Ertia

It is sad that they feel they need to do that! And odd that they would multiple review themselves. I mean, I can see one review to get people's attention, and kind of say, "see, it's not atrocious". But multiple reviews?

Guest Corvis

I've had friends come here and leave reviews, cause it seems like no one ever wants to be the first to review. But I can't say that I've ever reviewed myself. And usually the people that I have some here and read, read the story on another site already, lol.

I'd just feel bad if I was only getting reviews from myself...

Guest Agaib

I've never personally reviewed Myself. It sounds a little... self absorbed. I guess what Melody said made sense but for any other reason it sounds dumb.

When I see stuff like that I'm always torn between feeling very bad for this person (how insecure they must be to have to review themselves in a glowing light. Why not take that effort and try to find out ways to write better so you can get real reviews) or wanting to laugh my ass off at them. Because most of the time, they're so lousy about these reviews that anyone can figure them out, much like you figured out this person.

How true. The reviews are so laughable, that it's kind of pathetic. And I've noticed each batch tends to focus on a "theme of the day." Like "wow, great story, update soon!" Then, a couple saying how "beautiful" the story or writing is.

My favorite batch, which did make me LMAO, was something like "you'e an amazing writer," "this book is so GOOD" and the creme de la creme...."this is the best story I've read on AFF so far."

What, are you 6 yrs old and the only other thing you've read is "See Spot Run?"

This person probably is desperate. In their mind, the more reviews a story has, the more likely a person is to read it, so they spam themselves up with pretty reviews to distract the reader from the crap that is usually present. I kind of feel sorry for someone who has to give themselves such an ego boost.

I agree, whole heartedly. (I loved that "review whore" reference, btw)

Well, thanks for weighing in; it's nice to know I'm not crazy (any more than usual) smile.gif

Guest Melody Fate
I've never personally reviewed Myself. It sounds a little... self absorbed. I guess what Melody said made sense but for any other reason it sounds dumb.

I agree, even what I did was extremely self-absorbed, but honestly, it was weird back then. The site was one of the first that actually had public reviews and I think everyone was a little nervous about them.

I was getting emailed reviews, all of them favorable, but no one would give me a public one. So, I finally broke down and wrote that, "I see you wrote a story." My husband was going to do it, but he suddenly got an emergency call and I got impatient.

The next day, I had three more public reviews. It was like someone, anyone, had to crack the ice. Maybe people were afraid that if they left the first review, their opinion of the story might be proven "wrong." and they'd be ridiculed.

The very first review I got on this site says "Story sucks." I love that review. I look at it whenever I think I'm too good to be an amateur writer.

Guest Serenanna

O.o;;;;

Ok, I've used review to reply to to other reviews so far, like question on when I'll update (Soon, damn you all!), but . . . that's an incredibly cheesy/attention-whoreing/corn-balled/narssistic thing to do to review your own friggen fics bordering on the just plain psycho.

Yah, so . . .

I don't get it. I just don't get it. It sounds like something meant to be pulled at ff.net.

Sere

Guest Melody Fate
My favorite batch, which did make me LMAO, was something like "you'e an amazing writer," "this book is so GOOD" and the creme de la creme...."this is the best story I've read on AFF so far."

I have to admit, now you have me sooo curious as to who this person is. Any chance you can PM me with the name?

Guest lightgoddess
I have to admit, now you have me sooo curious as to who this person is. Any chance you can PM me with the name?

Screw that, post the link here so we can point and laugh at them!! laugh.gif

Guest DarkVampWriter

People who review their own stuff are full of bullshit. I hate that I remember a girl that did that on aff and I kept messing with her about it she got mad and posted this angry rant in the erotica section. I could tell it was her doing it because she would register 10 names to post a reivew. I saw the registration dates they were all on the same day, with no stories posted under those new names. What an idiot! ACk! >_< I couldn't resist flaming her for being such a fruad. She was underage and got herself removed.

Guest Melody Fate
People who review their own stuff are full of bullshit. I hate that I remember a girl that did that on aff and I kept messing with her about it she got mad and posted this angry rant in the erotica section. I could tell it was her doing it because she would register 10 names to post a reivew. I saw the registration dates they were all on the same day, with no stories posted under those new names. What an idiot! ACk! >_< I couldn't resist flaming her for being such a fruad. She was underage and got herself removed.

I'm just curious, why does it make you so angry? Yes, it's a stupid thing to do, but as it's been pointed out, most people give themselves away. (If you're stupid enough to review yourself, you're stupid enough to trip up and get caught. Giving yourself glowing reviews is usually the first part.)

I can see being amused by it, or thinking those who do it are pathetic little losers, but getting mad? It's not like reviewing yourself gives you an advantage. Yes, more reviews might mean people will check out your story, but most folks check out the reviews first. If I see a person is fond of reviewing themselves, I'm going to avoid the story like the plague.

I'm not saying you're wrong for how you feel, it just strikes me as pointless to get mad. It's sorta like getting mad at someone who constantly trips over their own shoelaces,yet won't learn to doubleknot them so they aren't dragging. They're the ones that end up looking stupid.

wow, this thread is giving me evil ideas. I'm not sure how it's all going to happen, but there's something rolling around in my brain....LOL

Guest Melody Fate
wow, this thread is giving me evil ideas.  I'm not sure how it's all going to happen, but there's something rolling around in my brain....LOL

I now have a vision of someone as a joke, writing the worst story ever seen on AFF and then giving it millions of "OMG, UR the BESTIESTEST writer in the HOLE WURLD!"

If I'm on the right track, I'd love to see it when it's done. laugh.gif

Guest DarkVampWriter
I'm just curious, why does it make you so angry? Yes, it's a stupid thing to do, but as it's been pointed out, most people give themselves away. (If you're stupid enough to review yourself, you're stupid enough to trip up and get caught. Giving yourself glowing reviews is usually the first part.)

I can see being amused by it, or thinking those who do it are pathetic little losers, but getting mad? It's not like reviewing yourself gives you an advantage. Yes, more reviews might mean people will check out your story, but most folks check out the reviews first. If I see a person is fond of reviewing themselves, I'm going to avoid the story like the plague.

I'm not saying you're wrong for how you feel, it just strikes me as pointless to get mad. It's sorta like getting mad at someone who constantly trips over their own shoelaces,yet won't learn to doubleknot them so they aren't dragging. They're the ones that end up looking stupid.

It's just one of those things that makes me mad that's all. I don't know why but it just does. It annoys me so much I feel like exploding!!!

If you have to review yourself to get reviews, then there's definitely somethintg wrong with you and your writing.

Fanfiction isn't supposed to be about writing and review whoring. It's supposed to be about artistic fulfillment. You as the writer are creating a work of art with words and a storyline. You are not supposed to do so just to get reviews. I, for example, have several stories with very few reviews. The most I've ever gotten is 3.

Although extremely improbable, this could be a possibility: the writer in question signed up with his/her friends to the fanfic site at the same time. They go to a multi-terminal site (library, school, etc.) and log on and off at the same time all the time. The writer announces that s/he has just posted a story, and the others go and review it immediately.

So, I'm on AFF last night, browsing, and I merrily skip over to the Harry Potter archive. Now, who should suddenly appear, but the Queen of Crappy Fics and Duchess of Rave Reviews herself. Here's the best part. A couple of minutes later, our very own StoryJunkie arrived.

My God! StoryJunkie, do you realize you had a brush with Craptacular Greatness? How lucky!

Well, the Queen of Crap was only on for a half hour or so; didn't post any updates or new reviews. Hmm...wonder what she could have been up to?

And hey, lightgoddess, I hope, like me, you've regained the 70 IQ points you lost trying to read that piece of junk. I also sincerely hope you've managed to re-attach your ass after it fell off during the laughing jag you suffered. laugh.gif

Guest lightgoddess

Inkslinger, the IQ points I could stand to lose, it was the minute and a half of my life I lost reading the reviews, getting into the story, and then reading it before I almost hurt myself laughing that I'm pissed about. laugh.gif I'll never get that time back!!

People who write and review their own stuff should be stoned to death for stealing time from other's lives.

God, I'm enjoying this! Four new reviews, all raves (and all sequential ID's). And one new negative review from "Hans Gruber".

Astounding, truly astounding!!!!.........that someone would be either so needy, or think so highly of their work, as to review it themselves. Repeatedly. Writing is not your forte. This tale is positively abysmal. I wouldn't use a copy of this fic to line the bottom of a bird cage, as such an act would amount to a case of animal cruelty.

I thought dear Hans, that suave piece of Eurotrash, was dead. wink.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

:: whistles :: I've noticed a couple of self reviewers myself, and I left a FAR more harsh critique (and yes, critique. NOT a flame.). You showed amazing self control there.