Click Here!

Can Someone Be This Desperate For Attention?

NightScribe

Guest Serenanna

I'm with you ladies on this, while her crimes against fandom weren't as bad as, say, Celebrian, the fact that she was uber bad about reviewing her own stories was unforgivable. And honestly, I tried to help her out giving general writing advice in my review after daring to read the first few chapters. Anyone that knows me knows I'm as soft as the softest softy thing in existance. ::shrugs::

If anyone feels remiss about this, please, read my fics and gimme my first highly critical review. I need to be taken down a few notches, and learn from someone better than me, and am self-torturing enough to maybe enjoy it.

Sere, who's probably asking for it

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sere

I've got it on my list of things to do, to read the fics of people who've posted on this thread. After I finish my WIP. 2-1/2 chapters left and what am I doing? Spending all my freakin' time on this forum! You people are like crack to me, I can't get enough.

I think I'm kind of like you; if I feel someone is really trying, has a real love of the craft, but is still feeling their way, I'll try to offer helpful advice in any way I can. Whether they take it or not, of course, is up to them, but at least I made an effort to offer something constructive.

I am a living example of being my own worst critic. There have been times I've beat the crap out of myself, saying "you're a hack, you can't do this, give it up." But I keep going. As I've gotten very few reviews, and kind of...lukewarm, on most of my fics, I figure, "hey, I guess I'm just mediocre. I can live with that!" One story did receive some very nice comments and it surprised me (an R rated, angsty romance of all things, not my usual! LOL)

I guess we just gotta keep the faith!

Guest lightgoddess

Truth be told, Anon E Mouse usually doesn't give such harsh reviews. But, in this case, reviewing yourself is unforgiveable, and had a simple 'Crucio' (we are talking about a fic in the HP fandom here) been sufficient, that's what would have been used, but, alas, that was obviously not enough. Anon actually prefers to give con crits to harsh reviews stating what could be done to improve an author's writing, but not in this instance.

And, yes, reading the badly written reviews was funny. I kind of wish she hadn't taken her writing down now...

Oh, and Inkslinger, you are very welcome. The title struck me like a lightening bolt. lol

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I was totally use her review pages as pick me ups after school everyday! DAMN ME AND MY BITCHTASTIC WAYS!

I just told my mother about the whole thing and she was laughing. I heart my mommy<3

of course, I always have qutie1 to giggle at after the rage is gone. Of course, that's not bound to last long.

This crackdown is starting to make me cry! All the bad little 13 year olds are no longer here for me to be a scathing bitch at! Adults take things in stride and are nowhere near as fun to rip into for being a plagerising hack!

:: alligator tears ::

Well, Agaib is a softiest softy too, and even I cannot help but feel sorry for a little bit. After all, that was me a few decades ago. Just let life stomp on her a little while, but not too hard. Let's hope she wasn't an emo or anything like that. The way that one girl swore, I think my off-spring might be cursed for several generations, just because I laid my eyes on it for a while. Amazing how CAPS can convey such vitriol so succinctly.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
Amazing how CAPS can convey such vitriol so succinctly.

Considering that all she USED were caps until I pointed out how harsh they were on the eyes, it looses a lot of it's power to me.

Guest Serenanna

Wow, I don't know if it was my post asking for a critical review, or sheer coicidence, but someone left a critical review of my lone FFX-2 fic. I'm flattered, maybe a little honored! I haven't reached levels of uber-ness yet! I must work stronger! Hard! Faster! Better!

::hugs everyone and goes back to writing:: Muwahahahaha!

Sere

Guest Melody Fate
PS. ::glances at Mel:: And you fought about the GAFF? With crimes like these being committed on the internets. ::ducks the rotten tomatoes and runs like hell::

Yes, I did. Again, I could care less if this girl wants to write bad stories and post them. I can always ignore them. Yes, bad stories CAN be ignored. They aren't a crime against humanity, they are not deliberately written just to annoy your (or anyone elses) sensibilities. What I hate about places like GAFF is that they aren't intending to help, they're just intended to make some people feel better about themselves by insulting someone else. And again, you can say until you're blue in the face, "But we don't insult the people we insult the stories!" but we all darned well know that stories are our brainchildren.

The person being discussed in this thread did more than write badfiction. She wrote bad fiction, then wrote herself little valentine reviews praising her pisspoor writing. That is the part thats irritating, because it says to me that she doesn't want to improve, but she wants the world at large to read and lurve her stories. There is only one reason to write reviews to yourself, and that is to try to pursuade people into reading it.

Writing bad fiction isn't a crime. I don't even feel that her writing reviews is a crime. I do feel though, that it was only fair that people pointed out her trick hadn't fooled anyone, and no, her writing wasn't nearly as wonderful as she had reviewed it to be.

Again, in 99% of all cases, no writer ever forces anyone to read her fanfiction. She might beg in the summary, but she isn't seeking you down specifically and threatening you, or whining on you until you're reading it just to shut her up. It is always a readers option to walk away. Of course, as I've said, if someone send you a story and asks for your opinion (which has happened to me a few times) then they're asking for it, and they'd better buck up and take it.

I have nothing against honest critical reviews. If GFF was a place that gave honest, fair, reviews and rated these fics poorly, I'd defend their right to exist 150%. But they don't do that. They instead ridicule, poke fun, and in general try to get everyone to laugh at the story and the writer. Even moreso, if the writer tries to defend herself, she's immedietly ganged up on, anyone defending her is dismissed as being a sockpupet, and she's made to feel like she's even more inferior for sticking up for herself. It's playground bully tactics and I hate those. If you really feel it's your right to insult someone's work that way, then send them an email, give them the chance to respond, but don't do it in your own private fortress surrounded by your army of believers. That's not only being an ass, but it's being a delusional ass, because you make sure you're only surrounded by true believers so you don't ever have to answer for the hurt feelings.

it sounds like someone is reviewing their own story. i can't belive that someone would be so sad and desperate for readers that they would do that. it defeats the whole principal of the review system. he/she thinks that with a lot of good reviews a lot of people will read it, but they don't realise you can't force a person to likeyour work, if its crap its crap. they should just accept it and move on.

• 1 year later...

I actually ended up reviewing one of my own stories once, right here on AFF.

Alright, not exactly. What took place was, I NEVER end up logged out of AFF on my two computers, ever. Somehow, by clicking remember me on something or by pleasing the Firefox gods, I have managed to stay perpetually logged in and I like that, so I don't try to change it.

Well, I had my friend over, because I make my friends read my fanfics AND review them (I'm evil, and that's a very evil thing to do) and after much prodding, roaring, and threatening with denial of peanut butter klondike bars, she left a review, dubbing herself a Pimp Master Proxy. (there are no such things, by the way) After I recovered from my bout of wtf, and finished staring at her.. awkward spelling habits, I just smiled, nodded, and trotted the human off for her klondike bar before she went into withdrawl.

Later on, I found that the review was left by a "Dark Mrowlidash"...

I chose to do nothing, figuring that no one reads Ergo Proxy fanfics anyway, and those few who do, couldn't form an angry mob large enough to take me down for my "arrogance".

And some time afterward, I got a review for that fic that made me so happy, I forgot all about the other one.

But to make the long story short, I am guilty. What you going to do about it?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I actually ended up reviewing one of my own stories once, right here on AFF.

Alright, not exactly. What took place was, I NEVER end up logged out of AFF on my two computers, ever. Somehow, by clicking remember me on something or by pleasing the Firefox gods, I have managed to stay perpetually logged in and I like that, so I don't try to change it.

Well, I had my friend over, because I make my friends read my fanfics AND review them (I'm evil, and that's a very evil thing to do) and after much prodding, roaring, and threatening with denial of peanut butter klondike bars, she left a review, dubbing herself a Pimp Master Proxy. (there are no such things, by the way) After I recovered from my bout of wtf, and finished staring at her.. awkward spelling habits, I just smiled, nodded, and trotted the human off for her klondike bar before she went into withdrawl.

Later on, I found that the review was left by a "Dark Mrowlidash"...

I chose to do nothing, figuring that no one reads Ergo Proxy fanfics anyway, and those few who do, couldn't form an angry mob large enough to take me down for my "arrogance".

And some time afterward, I got a review for that fic that made me so happy, I forgot all about the other one.

But to make the long story short, I am guilty. What you going to do about it?

Your situation was totally different from what the others were talking about and I'd probably leave the review, too. I think what was burning them up was that apparently whoever the author was didn't write very well, but left multiple raves, one after the other, which is beyond lame.

This makes me giggle. I "review" my stories when I have no way of reaching reviewers outside of annoying "author's notes".

Yeah, that does kind of suck, having to "review" to respond to people's comments. I always felt a bit sheepish doing that.

• 1 month later...
Guest Monsterking

i may be desprete enough to put multpil links to my story up but even i would not go as so far as to write myself reviewers thats just cheating

Peace out and may the furs be with you!

• 4 weeks later...

I would just use the next chapter to post an author's note to all my reviewers of the previous chapter.

But if it is only one chapter, I would create another chapter for answering the reviewers.

Beth

• 1 month later...

reviewing your own story is like staring in the mirror and telling yourself you are the damn sexiest person alive. i don't think i can i ever do that. hahah. *faceslap*

Edited by kaimono

• 5 months later...

If someone writes only for the reviews then they are not really writers

Sure all of us love to get reviews and it can be aggrivating when we get 500 hits and no reviews... But i value the good honest reviews I do get.

Writing for reviews is being a sell-out. I write because i love the story and characters i am working on and because writing for me is a type of therapy and helps me relax.

Writing for reviews is just pittiful.