Click Here!

Failure of Mods - Is this where I report it?

Yugithecutie cost this site literally dozens of authors by her borrowing/linking/plagiarising stories.

When I pointed that out in another post/section demongoddess061 says

** BEGIN QUOTE **

"The user in question was asked to please remove the content from her site, by not only the members affected, but by some of the staff members as well. She did, in fact, do that. However, it was and is still plagiarism, which is why this user was deleted.

What happened, ultimately, is that yugithecutie was deleted from the archive. She is NOT welcome to return. Ever."

Thing is, we do not have ANY control over what a web hosting service allows on their servers. We (a couple of the mods) advised the one member to REPORT this person to her hosting company, as that's the best that can be done from this end for someone else's domain. No one here has any control whatsoever over what content is or is not allowed on someone else's web server. To expect that we could, or in fact would be able to do anything about it, is foolish, at best. After all, it's not like this site owns yahoo.com, which is (or was when this happened) yugithecutie's hosting company."

** End quote ***

To correct that - YTC didn't remove any content until AFTER Maggiemay contacted Yahoo and told them of the age explicit content of the material and threatened to report the site to the feds. It was removed within half an hour by YAHOO, not YTC.

See - there IS something that you could have done beyod a mealy-mouthed 'please.' And it was not foolish to expect some kind of action. You were entrusted with the work and you breached that trust.

To prevent linking a simple block (Denial of service from IP address )of redirects from her site would have been effective as well - again failure to act in the best interest of the people who use this site. That is WHY you lost so many authors.

But the EPIC untruth in the Demongoddess061's statement is that Yugithecutie is unwelcome here. She has a profile and posted stuff since that time. Is it hers? Who knows? Link: http://ygo.adult-fanfiction.org/authors.php?no=1296870612 (please note that it is an AFF address. So much for her being banned/deleted.)

Easy enough to create a list of names and email addresses, ip addresses, MAC addresses etc., that are banned and integrate it with your login daemon. Yet you fail to do so.

So - who do I report the failure of the mods to? Or wait, do I hang my head and close my mouth?

It infuriates me to see the mods claiming to work in best interest of the writers when just a few simple things that take no more effort than point and click, could save people so much heartache and themselves work.

Puppys_seahorse.

This would be the third time then that I've had to delete her. She's been deleted twice already by me alone. I'm not sure if she's been deleted by any of the other mods besides those two times. In any case, today makes the third time to delete this particular person.

As she is hosted on yahoo, I'm not ABOUT to do something where someone ELSE's site may in fact be affected because of that one user. (Meaning the blocking by IP, which blocks the hosting site IP addresses). As to the ability to ban a user permanently, the software itself does not let any one of us do that. I wish it did. All we can do on this end is periodically check for them, and delete them as they reappear.

With archaic software, there is really not much any one of us can do, other than to check and recheck, and delete as needed. As to the login architecture, it also does not allow for blocking by email. That's something being rewritten, but, like everyone else, I have to WAIT for that to be finished before anything we HAVE done with bans can actually be enforced via the software. The only software on this site capable of doing those things at this time are the forum. As it is not integrated with the archive, and is not likely TO be integrated entirely with the archive, those sorts of bans will only work here, where generated by software.

Now, I've been reasonable all along about this whole thing. You, on the other hand, have been accusatory and hysterical. I'm quite sure you will continue to behave in exactly that way in future regarding this person. For that matter, you're likely to react in that manner regarding myself. I take offense at you calling me a liar, and/or saying I do nothing. Neither of which is true.

Here's the thing. If you would LIKE for me to devote 50 hours or better a week to AFF, then you can financially support me so I don't have to work, do my housework, and all the OTHER real life things I must do every damn day, ASIDE from doing things with and for this archive, FOR FREE. Yes, I'm being more than a LITTLE sarcastic. However, I do believe you're deserving of it. No, you will NOT be getting an apology from me for this, so don't even bother to ask.

Hysteria? ROFLMAO - honestly? Because I point out your blatant untruth - and it WAS an untruth - she was on the site. But thank you for deleting her. Don't try denigrate a reasoned logic backed up by your own words. Yes I admit wholly and freely I was and am pissed about it. Not so much on my behalf but on the behalf of my sister and those like her who were abused by this person.

I am not entirely sure I understand something though. You agreed to take on the task of aff moderator. If what that entails is beyond your scope why would you waste everyone's time? Part of the description of Moderator is to 'moderate.'

At no time do I direct derogatory remarks at you - simply at your lack of action in this case. The ONLY time I became involved in this was when you allowed the obvious plagiarist to come back and post here.

Also, you can block from a certain SITE - specific IP address without blocking an entire server. So that argument doesn't hold water at all.

IN either case I put your panties in a twist. Sorry for your upset - I am happy now - you removed the person who stole so much. From now on IF she returns I'll just post a quick note to you saying she is back. I genuinely belived that you had done nothing. I apologize.

Shelly

Jesus christ, are we seriously doing this again? I have never seen as many issues with a single subdomain ever. Nothing will ever be good enough and I guess no one is allowed to have lives outside of volunteering to help with the site. Maybe if more pople offered to volunteer, then the ygo subdomain can be policed to the liking of those complaining.

Funny thing that...I don't see ANY YGO writer/reader offering to help. *shrugs*

It's very easy to sit around and accuse. Why not be helpful and be polite calmly report the situation? Why not come without the confrontational attitude? Why try and make it seem that our admin that spends more time working on aff than sleeping is doing nothing at all.

Sometimes some features are just NOT available for mods to use as a tool. Our techies are working on ways to impliment changes that will make the site better without loosing the stability that it has had for years. DO NOT make it seem as though they are doing nothing.

I just don't understand how people expect the mods and admins of THIS site, to police the sites of others. We can not lord over all other sites. We can not force Yugithecutie or head over to her site, acces her admin controls just to do what people want done.

I'm usually the nice one who will use kind words when confronting people. No longer in this situation. It doesn't make senes for grown ass adults not to be able to act in a civilized manner on an adult site. It makes me wonder if anyone in the Yu-gi-oh section really is adult!

I understand that plagiarism is a subject that incites anger in a lot of people. Hell, I despise plagiarist and have had stuff plagiarised myself, but I don't act in the manner that I've seen people act in the damn ygo section!

Yugithecutie, in case you see this, you are not allowed back on the site. Your site has caused SO many problems because of your practices for a site that isnt even AFFILIATED with you that its purely insane. Everytime your name comes up, we have to drop everything we're working on to fix the complaints that we can.

Seriously, if she continues, go to her fricken hosting company! We don't host her, we can't control her.

I looked into this thread out of curiosity, and I realize it's none of my business,

but the posts in this thread are very hostile sounding which doesn't reflect well on the users or, quite frankly on the staff, of this site.

Maybe before posting in the heat of the moment it would behoove everyone involved to step back,

count to ten and let cooler heads prevail, instead of having unnecessary conflict open for all to see.

Thanks.

I understand tingle, but we all tend to get a bit defensive when one of our most devoted admins is basically called a liar. We all spend a lot of time working hard for this site and when someone throws that back in the faces of admins and mods, yes it tends to get us a tad bit cranky.

Now I'm usually one of the cooler heads, but this is ridiculous. This has been an ongoing issue for the readers/writers in the ygo subdomain since april/may...so long ago that I don't remember the exact date. We squashed it but its not us that continues this stupid issue that we can do nothing but what we've already done and continue to do.

Tingle, please don't get me wrong. I just wanted to give the pov of at least myself. Bringing something that we can not do anything about, ie the plagiarism on another site, is not fair, nor is it right. We take aff.net seriously but we can not spend all of our time here, monitoring things as the ygo fans that are involved in this wish when we have our own lives that need to take priority over the site. They need to understand that. They don't have accuse, bitch and moan; they can help! Even if its sending a simple email (and being calm and composed, not screaming and demanding like what we've been getting) stating the problem if it is indeed on our site, then we will take that complaint seriously and handle the problem as soon as we are able.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.