Click Here!

Was Your Fic Stolen? Mine Was....

Guest Septra

Guest Septra

I'm Tryst... And today June 24, I find on mm.org that my fic FHI... otherwise known as Female Hanyu Inu was stolen. Well... I'm not allowing that. So, here's the thing haku120... you have been named. If you wanted a challenge... You could have asked. You didn't have to steal my work. mad.gif It took me months to write that. And hopefully with the help of other authors...

Flamers and thieves will learn better.... I hate this. It's not fair. With permission from the original author... Sure. No biggie. But get a clue!

TRYST

Guest lightgoddess

Please tell me you've reported this! If you haven't yet, leave the URL so we can flame the coward who would do something so awful!!

On a lighter note, as angry as I would be, it's got to be at least a little flattering to have someone enjoy your work so much that they want people to think they are as good a writer as you...

Guest Septra

Hey, yes I reported the coward.... They even left a review here on aff about my fic. As nice as the review was and as much as it might be considered a compliment... They have been taken care of. But not just for myself... Apart from all FanFiction Sites.... I intend to keep my eyes open for copy cat thief types... I look around online before I go forth with an idea...

To make sure I'm not stealing and I try to remember every fic I read and all that... Simply because that is not cool. I even sent an email saying if they wanted me to... Key Term... ME. I would post it on other sites excluding those where it would break the rules.

But, I want to help protect people from flames and thieves... We all work hard. The betas, the writers, the readers, and the reviewers. It's not fair to any of us to have our works stolen....

Just cause someone looses a push on something...

Whoops. I just realized something. My apoligies to all those I have offended in the past... I see something now...

But I was very green then...

Not so now. Haku120... watch out for them. If they review... keep an eye out. I will report any copycat thefts....

We are fan fiction writers... We don't own the characters or the worlds... WE own our plots. The work we put in is because we love something or want to contribute something to the world....

Those are my reasons...

And on media miner.... I am known as Punishment of the Inu. I published Fluffy's Puppy, Female Hanyu Inu, and Will You Bear My Child. I've also produced Seal of the Silver Flower and Ridiculous, and In Heat and PMS.... Also Saiyian Prince Inu on FF.net.... So... let's keep eyes out for each other... Without us working together...

There are no fan fics...

Tryst

Guest Snowfall

Over a year ago, my fic 'Sketches' was plagairized. Fortunately, I had some very loyal fans that immediately caught it and got it taken off mm.org before I even had a chance to look at it. LOL I wasn't certain if I should have taken it as a compliment or not. However, plagaigerists should be dutifully chastized and kicked off the site where the fic was plagairized. Peoople get kicked out of college for that stuff.

Guest Septra

I'm in complete agreement. I do think that if someone wants to steal a fic written by someone else... Then they need to go and look for a beta, look into the challenges, or look up those authors they want to steal from.

That way, they can at least ASK. For me, it wasn't the actual theft... It was the lack of emailing me. Or leaving a review asking for permission. Those I'm all for. But come on.

I say in my bio's that I do give challenges to those that are lurking around in need of fics.

I make them personalized and I alter the existing ones to make sure no author copies another.

Tryst

Wow, I was going to leave a post the other day asking the same question. I mainly write HP fics and when AFF started to get going again, I started posting another and noticed one or two in my sub category. I usually don't read them, I don't want to unintentionally rip someone off, just my quirk.

Anyway, I saw a new story posted with a great rating; about a week later, the rating went down and someone left a review, so I read it, then decided to read the story for myself. After a quarter of the way through the first chapter, I said to myself, "this is really familiar." I read a bit more, then said again, "this is really, really familiar. I know this story, I should, I wrote it!" I kept stopping and predicting what would happen next and sure enough, it did. And badly. All four chapters that had been posted were like that. I was furious! Even the OC's name was similar to mine.

The links to the TOS weren't working at the time, and I was probably so keyed up, I didn't look in the right place to report it. So, I left a review, naming my story, pointing out about seven things (and not bothering to mention that they also ripped off a little from another of my fics) and saying this isn't a coincidence; if you were inspired by my work, fine, but acknowledge it. Asking permission would have been the decent thing to do as well.

That was a Friday night, by noon the next day, the story was gone. I still remember the name of the author and the title of the fic; I check once in a while to see if they've posted anything since. They haven't. Judging by the writing, I think it was some kid who thought they could get away with something. The only thing is, there's lots of other sites out there, they could have just posted someplace else and I'm being plagiarized all over again.

I won't put up with that crap; not to my own stories, or anyone else's. Sorry if this came off a bit angry, but that still burns me when I think about it. I certainly can empathize with you. dry.gif

Guest Septra

I agree...

These people are making me really mad.

They got my betas' mad too. As they should be... In order to keep some of my writing going... I ask for help. They wrote scenes in the stolen fic so that the fic can keep going.

So... Why do I do all this...

Pure and Simple...

Name the thief and the fic that was stolen, whether your a reader, writer, or beta. We need to find them and deal with them.

Septra

Guest Snowfall

Perhaps we could find somewhere to put a list of our fics that were plagairized. If the person would do is once, they are likely to do it again. The person that stole mine renamed it 'Drawings'. And they couldn't even spell that right! It was copied word for word, even my notes. Pffft!

Snow

Guest Snowfall
I agree...

These people are making me really mad.

They got my betas' mad too. As they should be... In order to keep some of my writing going... I ask for help. They wrote scenes in the stolen fic so that the fic can keep going.

So... Why do I do all this...

Pure and Simple...

Name the thief and the fic that was stolen, whether your a reader, writer, or beta. We need to find them and deal with them.

Septra

A little of topic here. Septra, I saw your signature at the bottom. I have given much thought to the idealism of perfection and have come to the conclusion that the very term is a falsehood. Everyone and everything are as they should be. You may ask about killers, etc. That is what I would call damaged. I think that society's mores condemn the human race to a lifetime of seeking what they can never be because they are not. It is odd that the majority of humans cannot accept themselves as they are. They look to something else with which to gauge their value. always looking for 'perfection'. It is sad.

Keh! Sesshoumaru may not be everything to everyone, but in my opinion, he is the hottest! LOL

Snow

Sorry, Agaib, didn't mean to freak you out. My experience was a total fluke, I mean, what are the odds, that I'd actually find that little toad's story? I, too, am extremely paranoid and I feel the same way about my fics and OC's; they're my family, friends, kids, lovers, whatever. I'm psychotically protective of them.

Guest Septra

Hey,

I'm reading all the topics as they come in and society is really twisted. The differance is, we need to learn where to set limits, know our limits, and then try and over come them. We are inheritantly flawed.

Perfection is flawed. And most don't understand when I say that. Example, Sesshomau is an arrogant, egotistical jerk. However, his name means perfect killer... (Irony here) and he looks perfect... It's the d... hair. It's always the hair.

Anyway, back onto the main issue...

I'm still wondering what we can do as authors on a site that we post on... What rights do we have when it comes to protectiong our works outside of reporting the idividual?

There are some really obscure rules ou there about that.

Just because we aren't like 'normal' authors and sell our ideas doesn't mean we deserve to have our work stolen. And as for my thief... WE GOT HIM. We issued a challenge cause he wanted to 'emulate' my work. Ok. I gave him one.

I can deal with second chances... So long as they apologize and explain themselves. LOL.

Now, thats about all....

Tryst.

blink.gifcool.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm moving this to Report/Plagiarism where it technically belongs (even tho the topic is old). In future, if you see something like that, report it in that forum so it can be tended to to. wink.gif You can ALWAYS send an email to abuse@adult-fanfiction.org to report this, but the forum option for posting these reports is a good alternative. wink.gif

• 3 months later...
Now you guys have got Me paranoid.... how would I know if somone stole it? My story is My baby, and I want credit where credit is due...

Hello, I have to agree with you? How do we know, if someone has stolen our work. So far nobody has mentioned to me that my stories have been plagerized. Which is a good thing, that doesn't mean that they haven't....

Whoever, has been plagerized, I feel for you and truly sorry that had happened. It's sad that people who claim to write can't even come up with something of their own.

chanda

Edited by chanda

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.