Click Here!

Furry Sue Science

I'm writing a story in which a furry Mary Sue, who has rather chilled out and become less Sueish, kicks back and chats with a group of animals from the Sonic the hedgehog continuity. As part of this chat, I'd like to write her as explaining her ancestry, hence this topic. Want to help me out?

As reference for what this character looks like, here's a picture:

starla.jpg

Their conversation turns to what they should call Starla in terms of her gender. Sonic would be called a boar, Bunnie a doe and so on, so what do you call a female of what she is, they ask? She says that if they tried to call her a combination of her species, they'd just come up with something nonsensical like, falcatfess or something equally silly, which nobody would be able to make any sense of. Therefore she says, all females from her world are called Mary Sues, and all males Gary Stus. This is the result of a very old childrens' bedtime story (which I won't describe but will be fairly similar to Hansel and Gretel) which carried over into common usage.

I'd like their conversation to expand a little on this, but wonder if anyone wants to add any suggestions for the Sue culture? What I have so far:

- A few generations ago, scientists from her world designed a way of making genes 'clump together' in such a way that positive attributes such as wings, physical strength, some telekinetics, sharp claws, very insulating fur etc. transcend species boundaries. Benefits of genes, rather than species boundaries, become the determining factors for the template of a gestating foetus. These genes were 'labelled' by the scientists, perhaps by virtue of some kind of proteins/amino acids, to make sure they were the ones that were carried over to the next generation. Therefore the scientists also managed to tag genes for good looks in the same way, hence Sues and Stus are invariably good-looking.

- A culture for good looks surfaced as a result of this. The young, who are usually the best-looking (looks are assumed at this point to tend to fade with age) became the focus for their society. Youth, in Starla's society, is highly valued and only teens/possibly early 20's are influential in society. (On saying this, I'm planning on having her realise how she's disregarded her parents, older neighbours, aunts and uncles, etc. and that is really hasn't been fair on them) I realise this is not particularly workable, so it's possible older members of society do some of the important stuff, but they are seen as unimportant and rather dull by comparison.

So, any other ideas? By all means pick apart my theories, but bear in mind they don't necessarily need to be too thoroughly plausible. They're only having a relaxed chat, after all. I'd just like to weed out any glaring problems with the description of such a culture.