Click Here!

We need a chat...

Anmita

I got a damn good question that needs some answering.

What is the point of having a Challenge section.... IF YOU'RE GOING TO DELETE THEM!?

I have tried uploading several challenge/requests, and had them deleted or denied within mere hours of being posted.

It's irritating, discouraging, and downright disrespectful. I was given no notice, no warning, they were just gone.

If you don't support 'un' stories, then you need to tell people, and delete the archive.

It is unimaginably rude when something is deleted without warning. You waste the person's time by making them re- upload, you waste your own time by having to repeatedly delete. Why is a person going to want to use this site if they are being put in to this position and being treated poorly by the staff?

We need to come to an understanding or something. This challenge posting in forums only is a crappy idea. No one uses the forums. I only used the dang forums because your reporting system is so outdated it made it completely impossible to actually say anything in my defense through an inquiry.

I understand I may come off as rude, but you have to understand my position. You are wasting MY time and probably several other people's. I come on here to read and maybe post my wacky ideas. I don't get on here expecting to waste 45 minutes uploading the same damn thing every goddamn day. What time is there for fun when I have to waste time doing so?

I have always liked this site and I love that people are so free to write what they want. Which is why I am so upset that this has happened at all. I understand the need for cleaning, but a warning or an explanation would be much appreciated. Then at least people wouldn't get so put off.

I understand your frustration with your problem but you need to approach this calmly. You make it hard for anyone to want to help you if you are going to get up on your high horse like that.

I am under the assumption that this is your first time reporting this problem so correct me if I am wrong but still, if the mods have deleted your post its probably for a good reason; so try emailing them but for the love of God, don't be so pissy about it. They ARE here to help you

First you should calm down and take a deep breath...unless you live in new york then put a gas mask on first. I know it can be annoying at times, but your story might not have been deleted, it might have just been hidden if it had improper disclaimers on it.

Actually, challenges are posted in the forum ONLY. Challenges posted in the archive are deleted. This is stated in the Terms of Service for the site itself. The link in the menu FOR challenges and requests directs you to the forum. Specifically, to the subforums that were created specifically for this.

As far as there being a challenge section in the archive, there shouldn't be one any longer, anywhere. Now, considering how many subdomains and 2nd level categories I went through to find all those challenge/request subcategories and delete them over a year ago, it's possible I may have missed one. I'm not saying it's not. However, YOU should also be aware of the terms of service for the site, and the fact that this is something that was announced and announced and announced several times, before the challenge sections were eliminated, as well as during the deletions, and afterwards. Along with WHERE and how to post challenges and requests.

Finally, there is also a part of the TOS (again, you should take the time to read it, that way you are clear as to what is and is not allowed) where it CLEARLY states that content may be deleted at any time, without notice and/or notification. Having looked up when you joined the archive, you joined LONG after this change of putting challenges in the forum only came about.

I got a damn good question that needs some answering.

What is the point of having a Challenge section.... IF YOU'RE GOING TO DELETE THEM!?

I have tried uploading several challenge/requests, and had them deleted or denied within mere hours of being posted.

It's irritating, discouraging, and downright disrespectful. I was given no notice, no warning, they were just gone.

If you don't support 'un' stories, then you need to tell people, and delete the archive.

It is unimaginably rude when something is deleted without warning. You waste the person's time by making them re- upload, you waste your own time by having to repeatedly delete. Why is a person going to want to use this site if they are being put in to this position and being treated poorly by the staff?

We need to come to an understanding or something. This challenge posting in forums only is a crappy idea. No one uses the forums. I only used the dang forums because your reporting system is so outdated it made it completely impossible to actually say anything in my defense through an inquiry.

I understand I may come off as rude, but you have to understand my position. You are wasting MY time and probably several other people's. I come on here to read and maybe post my wacky ideas. I don't get on here expecting to waste 45 minutes uploading the same damn thing every goddamn day. What time is there for fun when I have to waste time doing so?

I have always liked this site and I love that people are so free to write what they want. Which is why I am so upset that this has happened at all. I understand the need for cleaning, but a warning or an explanation would be much appreciated. Then at least people wouldn't get so put off.

There is something you obviously do not understand. The archive is like a library. Unstories are like those crumpled papers that the janitor goes through the library and pick up. In this archive, the mods are the janitors. Unstories are the crumpled papers. Stories are like those really nicely bound books. Requests serve their purposes best in the forum because then they don't take the space reserved for the stories.

And please understand that the staff is not treating you poorly. Everyone gets the same treatment. Even the mods. If a mod were to post an unstory it would be deleted. If a normal member posts one it is dumped. Period. End of story.

And please understand that to change the outdated archive program, we would have to delete every story because we are working with limited capabilities. The fact that it has improved so much with the program it uses is amazing in and of itself. But it can easily be returned to the horrible organization it had before. But doubtless everyone would be very angry about that.

Also, I would like to point out that you can choose to copy and paste if your computer makes it take forty-five minutes to upload it. I know of no site where it actually takes that long unless you have poor internet connection or a very slow modem. And if you believe it's a waste of time then you don't need to do it. No one needs to upload anything. It's just nice.

As stated in the TOS the mods can delete a story without warning and/or permission. Please remember that the rules are there to be followed and no one gets them bent for them. They never have and never will.

I'll have you know I have read TOS, and that is WHY I am put off, among other reasons.

I'm referring to the mixed signals on the archive page. Why is there category in the story uploads area? Why do you still have that there? If it is indeed a software complication, then I apologize for my outburst. I understand how irritating something like that can be. (*M*)

Warrant I may have joined recently, but I was previously an underaged member quite some time ago. I rejoined only recently because I was now old enough and had time to commit to it.

In the future, I would really appreciate a warning or something. I would gladly fix the problem, but when I have to go 6 extra steps to accomplish my goal it is very disheartening. Would that be alright? ^J^

I am also appalled at the rudeness of these replies. I may be agitated, but I have been polite in explaining why I am so. I am straightforward, but I did not instigate or insult anyone. :V

I also resent the remark of Challenges being garbage in a dirty library. Challenges give life to new ideas, and new stories. They are every bit as important as a full length fiction. Think of them as the Encyclopedia's of the reference section. (=_=)

In addition, the cause for the 45 minute upload is due to incompatibility issues. I am having severe problems with something in your server, or script, frankly I don't know what it is. All I know is, only half of the page will load, or it will load nothing at all. I know it isn't coming from my end, since it only happens on this site when I am making a review, or uploading something. It also happens when I need to enter a scrambler code on random pages. Everything but the image loads.

I have also had the same thing happen when I was at my friend's house. It happened on my old account as well. My friend who is no longer a member had the same problem. (*^*)

So yes, it does indeed take 45 minutes for some of us to upload. My internet is as quick as a Gold Chocobo with it's tail feathers on fire. (^w^)

As for my being high and mighty, I'm just being forward with my complaints, and there is nothing high and mighty about clearing an issue thoroughly. (@m@)

Ya'll need to chill, it's all gravy. We just seem to be having a loss of understanding. Thank you for answering my questions though. (*w*)

EDIT: I think I'll maybe stick around and ride the forum train. I have been meaning to get back in to it. It might be a nice way to exchange ideas and chat it up with mah muffinz. xD

Edited by Anmita

I will admit (making this as general and hopefully uninsulting as possible) that maybe some of the replies (including my own; would not want to be a hypocrite) were a little rude and harsher than they needed to be. Generally speaking I am a pretty easy going person but the attitude you had in your first post had me getting my back up and I am not even staff.

So for myself, I apologize if I offended you but I was trying to be as to the point as possible (there's no time for candy coating when you are trying to get it in at work :D)

I will admit (making this as general and hopefully uninsulting as possible) that maybe some of the replies (including my own; would not want to be a hypocrite) were a little rude and harsher than they needed to be. Generally speaking I am a pretty easy going person but the attitude you had in your first post had me getting my back up and I am not even staff.

So for myself, I apologize if I offended you but I was trying to be as to the point as possible (there's no time for candy coating when you are trying to get it in at work :P )

It's cool, I understand that sometimes people mistake my blunt attitude with me being a twat. So it's all fine, and I should be honest and admit I would have probably gotten defensive too.

Nah, it's fine. Like I said, I get why. It's then anyways. Today is a new day.

Fffft, naughty you. Being on a Pron site at work..... I do it too. o////o

Here's the deal.

You can argue all you like with me, or anyone else as to what/where the challenges and requests are posted on this site. The entire REASON it was all shifted to the forum, is that the forum is better able to handle the load, for a number of reasons. Thus it will NOT be shifting back. I've checked several places, and have not yet found this challenges subcategory that I apparently missed in deleting the over 800MB of them and search requests from the archive last year. Considering that in the multiple fanworld subdomains there are 200+ subcategories per where this might be living (and there are six where this applies) one can surely see that it is entirely possible that I may have missed one over a year ago. Considering that my free time is not limited, as I work full time and have a family to care for, among other things? One can see why I would need a direct link if that is to be eliminated as well sooner, rather than waiting for me to find it while we continue with the clean up of the archive as a whole.

If you are looking for support as to WHY an upload is taking you so long, without any information as to browser, connection speed, and operating system, you will get no help. More information is needed from a user in order to give them any kind of help of that nature. Don't post that request to this topic, as it will be ignored. There is a forum specifically for tech support, which is where such a topic should be posted.

As to how it works in forum, the challenges/requests are actually much easier. The user does not even have to be registered for the forum to use those sections. Links are enabled, so if a challenge is answered, for example, a direct link to the story is easily put up, which is clickable. MUCH better than copy/paste and hope you got the address right.

As to harshness of answers from me? I am very direct, blunt, and to the point. If you can't handle that, I don't know what to tell you. I've been like that for near 50 years, and don't see it changing any time soon, if ever. For that matter, the more pressed for time I am, the more terse any reply I give is bound to be.

I've checked several places, and have not yet found this challenges subcategory that I apparently missed in deleting the over 800MB of them and search requests from the archive last year. Considering that in the multiple fanworld subdomains there are 200+ subcategories per where this might be living (and there are six where this applies) one can surely see that it is entirely possible that I may have missed one over a year ago.

There is still a 'Challenge' content code in the list when a story is submitted, which might lead people to believe that they are allowed on the archive.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.