Click Here!

Can Anyone 'add' A Chapter To Stories?

Guest Vyncent

Guest Vyncent

What gives with the odd link at the top and bottom of the story chapters on every story now? The one that allows anyone to 'Add chapter to [insert story title here] Next chapter>, even though that story is not theirs.

In fact, if you are logged in, and select this link, it gives you a screen to literally add a new chapter to an already existing story, and states quite clearly at the top of the page:

Add chapter to [insert story title here]

Warning: Once you have added a chapter, only the author of the story is authorized to edit it!

Why is this allowed? Should this not be up to the author of the story? What if the author doesn't want to allow others to add to their stories? Except for the occasional story collaboration, I do not see that many authors would be comfortable with this in their fic's. It is nice, if you are the author and want quick access to uploading a new chapter, but in that case, it should be available to the author of that story ONLY! It should not be available to just anyone.

This is an AFF feature that one elects to activate whenever one adds or edits a story of theirs. Near the bottom of the Edit Details dialog, there is a little drop-down menu labeled: "Allow Future Chapter Additions?" or something to that effect, with the operators "Yes" and "No" as selections. I always turn it off, because some jackass named "the dawg" added a huge amount of spam to a DBZ story by the AFF author Debsdragon without her consent, making an ass of himself.

• 2 months later...
Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
It's all well and good that you can opt out, and prevent others from adding chapters to your story.

But why is this even possible in the first place? I mean I can see how it's easy for you when you want to reply to your own stories, but I honestly don't understand the thought behind making it possible for others AT ALL!

Who's going to allow others to add to their stories without their consent???

I haven't used my archive account for a while now and joined this forum because we are a group who have been discussing this, and I wanted to see if I could find out something more about it, so if someone could explain this to me, I'd be really happy.

We're frankly surprised it hasn't caused more of an uproar than what I've been able to find here, being two threads where the initial posters seemed to be happy to just be able to turn it off...

Any explanation would be very much appreciated.

It's for Round Robins and the like. It's a game of sorts, kinda like the add the sentace game in the forum games section. one Author writes a chapter to a story and invites others to write what they wish in accordance to certain rules (it has to be this pairing, or that genre) or none at all if they wish. It was an interesting thing to see the stories grow with the voices of so many differant authors. I've actually wondered about trying to start one. Hmm...

EDIT: Also, it's not like anyone ever actually DOES add a chapter to another author's story when the "add chapter" thing is there. Really, i think most ignore it.

It was also used when the posting function on AFF was down to add more chapters to their stories (which caused a LOT of confusion) and I believe may be leaving them that way becasue it's faster and as insurance in case the site goes down again.

Guest DarkAvenger

It was added by our old head tech, Chana. Well, the part about being able to add to your own story through that option, while logged in, was added by her. The option itself was something that came with the original base storyline code, and it is for the use of round robin fics. I finally found the chunk of code and edited the wording so that people understand what it actually means.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
But if people want to do round robin fics, why can't they just make an account that they all know the password to? That seems to me to be the sensible thing to do, and the first thing, honestly, that comes to mind.

If I still had my stuff archived here I'd feel VERY uncomfortable about that, opt out or not.

Ree wants to know:

I'm thinking, what if you turn the option off, will you still be able to add chapters to the story? Since it originally was 'allow chapter additions' or whatever. So if you have a WIP, are you going to have to like, go in and add that option just so that you can add another chapter, only to remove it once it's done?

No, you can still add chapters to the stories. It would be very silly if it was done that way.

Also, the idea of setting it up like that was so that purly random authors could add chapters. You can do it the way you suggested, but yeah.

As long as you opt out, it's fine. No one can add chapters but you then. If your stories where still archived and you were signed into AFF.net, you would notice that ALL of your stories would have the "Add Chapter" prompt like in the non-opted out stories, so you can still do it that way.

• 1 year later...
Guest snowfall

I actually had quite a bit of fun engaging in a round robin. You never know what is going to happen next, but as long as everyone sticks to specs, it stays cohesive. If a chapter doesn't meet specs, the author who began the round robin can delete it.

Think of it as a playground for authors to just have fun. ^_^

It was added by our old head tech, Chana. Well, the part about being able to add to your own story through that option, while logged in, was added by her. The option itself was something that came with the original base storyline code, and it is for the use of round robin fics. I finally found the chunk of code and edited the wording so that people understand what it actually means.

Actually It's been there before that, It was only viwable back then by the story owner when they were logged in, it wasn't a public thing, that is recent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.