Click Here!

just wondering...

JCullen

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wait until a story is finished to review it?

• Yes
    • Not neccessarily
    • No
    • Depends
    • I don't review any story

I try to review every time I read a chapter. If not then every other or so. If it's just horrible I won't leave one at all. Then again, if it has potential I've been known to throw out a suggestion or two. It really depends on the mood when it comes down to so-so stories. I absolutely hate it when authors use reviews to threaten readers into reviewing. I have no issue with writers requesting reviews or even going so far as to promise an earlier update in exchange. The whole, "If I don't get XX number of reviews I won't update," thing annoys me to no end though.

I kind of understand where they're coming from since it takes a lot of time and energy to write a chapter or develop a story (I have a couple of stories of my own so I get it) but flat out threats are just....... Another thing I will never understand is why people believe they have the right to flame others. Of course, that type of reviewer usually couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. They also tend to have a bad habit of reviewing without logging in or leaving an email address. Go figure huh? My stories have been chewed up and spit out on several occasions. Usually by someone who doesn't know the difference between lose and loose.

My most recent encounter with rude reviewers involved someone who claimed to be sick of my cliffhangers. They even went so far as to tell me that "You need to straighten up your act and write a decent chapter or at least finish it before posting!" Wasn't that sweet of them? At first I thought I'd been scolded by my supervisor but then I remembered that I didn't have one anymore. Just to make sure, I ran to dig out my last pay stub but didn't see their name on it anywhere. I've never been the type to appreciate being treated like an indentured servant, or an idiot for that matter. Needless to say I was irritated. Talk about a bad attitude. You'd think if my chapters had been so terrible that this person wouldn't have stuck with the story for 33 of them. Yes... 33.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about constructive criticism. 'This doesn't make sense or you misspelled that. Your grammar is a bit off on this paragraph. Your flashback needs work because it was confusing. This character isn't very realistic. That event could never happen in the real world.' etc. etc. etc. None of this should bother a serious writer. If anything they should thank that particular reviewer profusely for pointing out things that they obviously failed to notice or consider. But just being mean or nasty is a complete waste of time and it's discouraging.

I try to review every new chapter of the stories I follow. I'd never wait until the end because some of the aforementioned stories in my fandom have been going strong for over a year and that is quite a long time to wait before telling the author you appreciate his or her work, with even more chances to forget to mention in your "grand finale" review exactly how much you loved a certain scene in chapter seven. I'd never be able to keep that straight so I try to review soon after reading.

Although I would never tell an author what needs to happen in his/her story, I sometimes mention in a review that "I hope things work out well for Characters A & B" or something similar and I've even seen authors take reviewers' suggestions and use them. A few of my reviewers on other sites have given me some excellent unsolicited plot suggestions and I am seriously considering using them, with proper credit of course.

• 4 months later...

Granted I haven't been around here for very long, but it doesn't seem like most people review at all. I know I'm guilty of reading,liking, and not reviewing. If I'm reading a story on a message board I will always review it. I'm not sure why that is, I guess boards just feel more conversational.

I figure at least here you have a hit counter, so you at least know people are reading, even if they are too shy to review it, or it isn't there thing.

I don't take a lack of reviews personally. I have one on the story I've posted here, and while I'd love more, I will be happy with my one. The alternative is no one reads it at all, which is worse in my opinion than having people read it and not getting any feedback.