Click Here!

Suggestions for Archive cleanup and restructure

TonHyukOTP

I’m apparently an idiot and missed this thread, so I’ll repost this here:

I’d like to suggest separate Het and Slash Threesomes/Moresomes sections. Is it is, they’re mashed into the same section. It’d be easier to find stuff that you’re interested in, if it was separated.

As for the “bisexual” section, I’ve seen some stories that have both M/F and M/M in het sections. For example, New Beginnings by tragic.violinist is in the Naruto AU/AR het section.

Edited by Selias

same applies there.  Threesome/moresome stories often have multitudes of different types of other pairs in the story, while the main grouping is a three+ group.  Again, adding the extra tags tells the reader that more is going on than the threesome/moresome.

I’m not talking about the other pairings in the story. I’m talking about different sections for the main pairing. Like, one section for het 3+ groups, one section for slash 3+ groups, one section for femslash 3+ groups, and one section for bisexual 3+ groups. To use Naruto as an example, again, the first would have Naruto with a “harem” of girls, or Sakura with a “harem” of guys, the second would have Naruto with a “harem” of guys, and the third would have team seven all having sex with each other (Naruto/Sakura/Sasuke/Kakashi).

Authors can manually tag a story as MMM or FFF or MMF or MFM, or any variation thereof, to clarify what content readers can expect, or they can cover it in the summary field. It’s not something we require, however, as long as the story has the 3Plus tag. 

Okay? Saying that authors can do something doesn’t really change that browsing for stories is harder than it needs to be. I mean, there are already separate sections for het, slash, and femslash. Presumably, those were added so that your readers could more easily find smut that appeals to them. I see no reason why the threesome/moresome section has to be excluded from this.

Edited by Selias

We do have the capability, now, to add that. It’s a fairly new development as the archive code is being updated However, we have a while to go before Naruto is going to be worked on. At that time, the issue of breaking down Threesomes/Moresomes into het, slash, and femmeslash can be addressed. If you’re interested in joining our all-volunteer staff as part of the clean-up crew, I’m sure DemonGoddess061 would love the additional help.

However, I’m of the opinion Bisexual is not a valid option under Threesomes/Moresomes, since there is no requirement for the same-sex members of a menage to be intimate. It would make story placement even more difficult, since we’d need to determine if there’s actual same-sex sexual activity warranting the Bisexual placement, or if the same-sex members of the menage were only intimate with the opposite sex member or members. If we have to start warning authors for not placing stories as Bisexual, we’re going to get pushback from the authors, and let’s face it, a fiction archive without authors isn’t much of a fiction archive. 

DemonGoddess061 can fill you in on the actual details, but the clean-up crew works with her to identify stories with formatting issues, wordord errors left over from previous database crashes, and other encoding issues from invalid character sets. They also identify misplaced stories, and would probably also deal with identifying whether or not pairing categories are needed, that sort of thing. Some of the clean-up crew does other tasks as well.

If you’re interested, you can send DemonGoddess061 a PM, and let her know. She can give you more specific information. I deal with the archive moderation myself, which has been more than enough for me. :)

Okay, first of all, in Naruto, for example, if a person posts a Naruto harem story, that’s obviously a moresome.  So, it would go to that initial subcategory.  Where we get to character SPECIFIC categories, is only when there are 5 or more of that particular pair and/or grouping, in stories.  Then I’ll create it as a sub of the initial type (i.e. het/slash/3plus).  As you well know, there are certain pairs and/or groupings which are more popular within a given fandom, so those are most likely to have a character specific category listed below the initial type.  Now, given that we work across a broad spectrum of fandoms, I try to keep the overall structure as homogenous as possible, so it works consistently with all subdomains.  I will not be making, for example, character + harem subcategories.  The authors can EASILY indicate in their summaries that it is a harem story.   Also, with the tags now having their OWN field, that opens up the story summaries to being more verbose (especially since I made the field for 600 characters instead of 255), as the authors do not have to worry about paring them down due to the required tags.

• 2 months later...

I think this is the right topic?

It seems like the “Movies” section is only supposed to contain live-action movies whereas anything animated seems to belong in the “Cartoons” section. If I’m wrong then feel free to ignore this post, but otherwise, there are a few sub-domains in the “Movies” section that should be moved:

Ice Age

Monster House

Open Season

Treasure Planet

Edited by Keltiel

• 1 year later...
Guest Akari-Seikatsu

Hello, I had a suggestion about an archive change for the books archive. There is an archive for Percy Jackson and the Olympians, but I personally think that it would be a better idea for that archive to be called “Rick Riordan Mythology”. The reasons for this suggestion are simple:

1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians is only the first of three chronological and deeply connected stories that are narratives of at least eight other characters.
  2. The first story in the archive is actually described by the author as belonging to The Kane Chronicles, which shows that there is at least some interest in posting stories that aren’t limited to the Percy Jackson series. Renaming the Percy Jackson and the Olympians archive to cover all of the connected Riordan works dealing with mythology means that everyone interested in writing about Riordan’s other, connected mythology-based stories can post their stories in one place without stories belonging to any of the series being scattered across the site.
  3. Crossovers between Rick Riordan’s mythology based stories aren’t true crossovers, because they all take place in the same canon universe, as detailed below. So, it makes no sense for someone posting a story that’s a Percy Jackson/Magnus Chase crossover to have to put in the books crossover archive, because it really isn’t an actual crossover.
  4. Percy Jackson and the Olympians and it’s two sequel series are also closely connected to two other book series written by Rick Riordan, The Kane Chronicles and Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard. These connections are canon to all five series, with evidence to back it up.
  • Magnus Chase is the cousin of Percy Jackson’s girlfriend Annabeth Chase, who starts appearing in Magnus’ story in the first Magnus Chase book, The Sword of Summer.
  • Carter and Sadie Kane, the main characters of The Kane Chronicles are warned to stay out of Manhattan by their uncle in The Red Pyramid because of the fact that Manhattan “has it’s own issues” which is a reference to the fact that Mount Olympus is located above the Empire State Building. Carter even notices what he believes to be Pegasi flying over the ‘island’. This is not the first time that characters within Riordan’s mythology-based work have been warned away from an area to keep the mythologies from mixing, as campers of Camp Half-Blood were originally warned away from the San Francisco Bay area in order to keep them from finding Camp Jupiter, which is the camp for half-bloods born to the Roman aspects of the Greek Gods.
  • The short-story anthology book Demigods and Magicians contains three short canon crossover stories, the first having Carter Kane and Percy Jackson meet, the second having Sadie Kane and Annabeth Chase meet, and the third having the four characters work together. That story ends with Percy and Annabeth choosing not to disclose their adventures with the Kane siblings.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.