Click Here!

Rogue virus alert

DemonGoddess

Yeah, definitely got lucky with Vista there.

We have a little thing we do with any new OS at home. My hubby unleashes ME on it. heh heh. What I do, is as much as I normally would in normal working, and then push it. See how long it takes to crash the thing. Other than NT2000, I've never been able to crash anything quite as fast as I did Vista. 2 minutes. That's all it took. I got NT2000 to crash in 2 1/2 minutes.

Yeah, definitely got lucky with Vista there.

We have a little thing we do with any new OS at home. My hubby unleashes ME on it. heh heh. What I do, is as much as I normally would in normal working, and then push it. See how long it takes to crash the thing. Other than NT2000, I've never been able to crash anything quite as fast as I did Vista. 2 minutes. That's all it took. I got NT2000 to crash in 2 1/2 minutes.

how, may i ask, did you manage to do that?

and, what OS took you the longest to crash, and why?

How'd I manage it?

Simple.

I opened up my programs I work in regularly and did stuff in 'em.

I had several of my graphics apps open, a db server, a db application, web design software, word processing and a text editor, as well as a spreadsheet.

I had several projects open, would go between programs to work in them, set up a macro in the spreadsheet to do a looping calculation, and set up an inventory type db and ran some utilities on it. As well as having video playing, and had a couple youtube pages open as well (turned off the speakers). Was working on a stylesheet and a few webpages as well.

The one which took the longest to crash was XP Pro SP2. It took me 7 hours. Was never able to crash SP3.

As I said, I DID set out to crash it, and see exactly how long it would take.

How'd I manage it?

Simple.

I opened up my programs I work in regularly and did stuff in 'em.

I had several of my graphics apps open, a db server, a db application, web design software, word processing and a text editor, as well as a spreadsheet.

I had several projects open, would go between programs to work in them, set up a macro in the spreadsheet to do a looping calculation, and set up an inventory type db and ran some utilities on it. As well as having video playing, and had a couple youtube pages open as well (turned off the speakers). Was working on a stylesheet and a few webpages as well.

The one which took the longest to crash was XP Pro SP2. It took me 7 hours. Was never able to crash SP3.

As I said, I DID set out to crash it, and see exactly how long it would take.

was the vista test before or after service pack 1 came out?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The current variants are:

• System Lock 2011
  • Security Inspector 2010
  • Security Essentials 2011
  • ThinkSmart
  • Ms-antivirus.net

That's just to name a few. These are all what are called "malvertising", which tend to be loaded with trojans and browser hijackers.

• 3 months later...

First of all, this thing is a variant of Antivirus 2008/2009.

It's got an interesting way of spreading itself, via IM, primarily MSN Messenger (any flavor).

My daughter got my machine infested entirely by accident while chatting in MSN IM. Didn't click any links, accept any file transfers, nothing like that. She was simply chatting, and then all of sudden, there it was. :o So, been trying to clean this beastie OUT for the last few days.

Here's the thing..

I deleted all associated files, killed all associated processes, and deleted all associated registry entries. NORMALLY, that will then allow a user to then run their anti malware software. Well, this thing is also a TSR, so while I did all that, it still didn't kill it enough to disable it. Which means that none of my malware removal stuff would work. As it turns it all OFF. This also tends to turn off most antivirus programs. Two of the few exceptions that I know of are Kaspersky and Avira. With Avira (I use it, so have experienced what'll happen), it turns off the Antivirus guard section. Simple enough fix, you simple turn the service back on, and the program will then continue to work as it should.

So, in an effort to de-infest my machine, found a malware utility that is free, and that this thing not only doesn't turn off, the program then finds it in the memory, deletes all instances, and then your machine is once again free from the nasty.

A-Squared Free

This program offers a 2-in-1 package, or simply the malware removal tool.

Sounds like you got a root kit installed there for a bit. I'm glad you got that off of your computer. You might want to try a multi-IM tool to help avoid this in the future. I could recommend Miranda IM for windows. I think it should be compatible with upto 7 so it may be worth a shot. The formatting of it might help prevent a respread of this kit.

What fixed it ultimately for me was installing Kaspersky. It catches IM viruses, and everything else. With the initial hard drive crash I suffered in 2009 from this, I was literally 2 regedits away from fixing it. When it ate the root sector, and my drive had to be replaced.

What fixed it ultimately for me was installing Kaspersky. It catches IM viruses, and everything else. With the initial hard drive crash I suffered in 2009 from this, I was literally 2 regedits away from fixing it. When it ate the root sector, and my drive had to be replaced.

That would be absolutely positively frustrating. The last Window system I used was XP and that drove me nuts with some things at times. Especially some of the unwanted stuff that snuck in on updates. I'll keep that AV in mind if a friend on windows has problems like this... But I would still stand by my suggestion of maybe a new IM client that could help filter things a bit.

To each their own. ^_^;; Multi-clients are the only option i have at the moment with my OS, so I suppose I got used to the idea of them somewhat quickly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.