Click Here!

Hello, I'm new. Can anyone offer me some general tips on writing?

Guest Fernando

Guest Fernando

Hey, I never knew trying to get into a forum would take so long! but oh well.

I've already posted like, 2 stories, but seeing as I'm still a newcomer to the erotic writing world, can the vets around here offer me a tips on writing in general?

Fanfiction isn't youtubing. We can't see what's going on in your head, so you have to really lay it out for us. If you can read your work impartially and really visualize what you were thinking at the time that you wrote, it, than hopefully we can too. On subject matter, it's your call. Everyone has their own preferences (I only write M/F non-con for instance), so your subject might turn some people off or it might turn them on. What makes the biggest difference is quality descriptive writing. That will often win over readers who normally might not be inclined to read your type of fiction. One of my personal milestones was when a reviewer mentioned that he normally didn't like rape fiction but managed to enjoy my work. That's when I figured that I was doing something right.

Guest Fernando
Fanfiction isn't youtubing.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this, but alright.

I like to think of myself as a good writer, I always excelled at my writing classes, and can spot the flaws in my work way before the people that actually judge my work do.

To tell the truth, I'm dead scared of this place. I'm always afraid of people thinking of me as a pervert, and it took quite a while before I wrote what little I did. However, no one seems to mind here, so that helps alot.

basically I was saying that writing is different than filmmaking where you could visually represent your ideals. Writing is harder in that the audience must visualize the intended scene via the author's language.

Yeah, I prowled around AFF for three years before posting anything. By the time I started writing my own stuff I realized that everyone was pretty much just satisfying their own urges and/or writing for fun. It's a pretty openended place

• 1 month later...
Guest lucretziathevagabond

I'm a fairly new fan fic writer too. I can give you some general writing sites that helped me, and I still refer to them often. They are written with some humor, so they aren't quite as dry as Strunk & White (not that I am in any way mocking the venerable book)

Dr. Merlin's Guide to Writing Fanfiction

Holy Mother Grammatica's Guide to Good Writing (in pdf-form)

Writing Romance Fiction

The Erotic Thesaurus

Hopr this helps.

Jo (lucretziathevagabond)

When you're writing, you have to look at things in the story the way your character would. Unless a character has the exact same personality as you, they're not going to react to things the way you would in real life...so you have to pretend to be them, given what you know or have invented about their past, personality, goals, hopes, fears, etc. in order to understand how they would react to a situation.

research things you aren't familiar with but want to write about. research is a great supplement for people who have no first hand experience with things (i.e. bodily reactions of people of the opposite gender; alternative lifestyles; trauma, etc.) research helps a writer craft a description that could be realistic for people who are reading stories. it also gives you a broader scope of knowledge to apply to the stories that you are presently writing and any stories that you'll write in the future.

have fun with it. if you have to force yourself to write, if you have to wrestle the words onto the paper, then it reads in the story. if you don't enjoy yourself writing, then the readers aren't going to enjoy the story. you're passion for a story is felt by the readers. if you have fun and it's a good story for you to write, then the readers will enjoy it too.