Click Here!

Disclaimer question... WTF?

Demitria

Okay, so I recently got this notice through a review about my disclaimer for my one-shot Redemption... Uhh... what's wrong with the disclaimer? I said I don't own Harry Potter (ie, the fandom, ideas, characters, or even the original author, et cetera) OR make any money off the crappy fanfic. Do I have to say, "I DON'T OWN THE DAMN FANDOM OF HARRY POTTER, ETC"? o.O' (maybe without the damn >_>)??

Halp.

-Demitria Miriam

You say in your disclaimer:

"I do not own the characters or ideas of Harry Potter and make no money off this piece of fiction."

All you, or anyone has to say for their disclaimer in Harry Potter is:

"I do not own Harry Potter and make no money from writing this story."

By disclaiming the entire fandom, you are automatically saying that you do not own the characters, the places, things or ideas, etc. This works for ALL fandoms except Celebrities and original fics. Crossover fics need to name any and ALL fandoms used in the story included in the disclaimer. Just CHANGE the fandom name (Xmen, Xfiles, Final Fantasy VII, etc) and you're set.

Do this from now on and we wont have to send you the warning through the review.

• 3 months later...

I have a question along similar lines: if the disclaimer is within the story, does it have to be at the beginning of the story?

I found the following in the faq: "A blanket disclaimer in the user profile is not acceptable, it HAS to be attached to the story." (emphasis mine)

I have a story series based on the Kim Possible episode Dimension Twist, in which she is trapped inside cable TV. She finds herself randomly moving between channels and finding herself inserted into different shows or movies. The number of crossovers is unlimited, potentially any show or movie that has ever been on cable TV, animated or live-action. Part of the fun is Kim trying to figure out where in the hell she is. And she needs to know, because some shows are dangerous (for instance, finding herself in Jurrasic Park). So it is a guessing game, for Kim and the reader. But if all of the fandoms have to be listed at the beginning of the story, that aspect is destroyed. The disclaimer becomes a spoiler.

So I placed the disclaimer at the end of the last chapter, listing all fandoms that were represented, as required. Now obviously, no one would expect it there, so I also placed a generic disclaimer at the beginning, pointing/referring to the real disclaimer at the end.

While unorthodox, this does satisfy the requirement of "attached to the story." To satisfy legal requirements, does the disclaimer have to be at the beginning of the story?

I already have a disclaimer-violation review against me, so I would appreciate a ruling on this.

Make a note in the disclaimer FIELD giving the location of the disclaimer itself so we know where to look for it. This is something we've told others before, where the disclaimer the user chooses to use exceeds 240 characters (which is the field size), so it's not an unexpected thing for such a statement to be in the field itself pointing to the locatiion of it. :lurk:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.