Click Here!

A Topic I need clarified on

Danyealle

This is something i'm not sure of nor if this is the place to post it... :lol:

I know like 99% of fan fiction sites have rules against what they call 'review whoring'-holding a story hostage for x-number of reviews before they will continue or post an update for it. Is that a rule here or not? I've run across a couple of these annoying lil buggers in the last few days. Though I've left a review like they said, it wasn't one they wanted -told them it wasn't right. From what i've read on the topic on other places the mentality behind the rule is that if you demand reviews it is like the equivelent of getting payment of some kind, something that can get the site in trouble if a lawyer wants to get nasty about it (not as far fetched as it sounds really :o ).

I just need to know if this is a violation or not?

Thanks!

Danyealle

As far as I know, we don't have a specific rule in place regarding holding a story hostage for reviews. However, the best action I can think of for it, is to ignore the user ENTIRELY. I mean, after all, they're after attention, yes? Don't give it to 'em.

Now, in the past, I've gone off on users for exactly that sort of thing. Let 'em know just how immature I thought the behavior WAS (not here, elsewhere). Because it really is. I can think of nothing that will spoil a story for me faster than the writer doing that.

As far as I know, we don't have a specific rule in place regarding holding a story hostage for reviews. However, the best action I can think of for it, is to ignore the user ENTIRELY. I mean, after all, they're after attention, yes? Don't give it to 'em.

Now, in the past, I've gone off on users for exactly that sort of thing. Let 'em know just how immature I thought the behavior WAS (not here, elsewhere). Because it really is. I can think of nothing that will spoil a story for me faster than the writer doing that.

Now I freely admit at the bottom of each chapter that I'm a review whore. Good, bad or indifferent - I want them!.. But I don't threaten NOT to write another chapter if I DON'T get a review on that one... That would be a little tacky in my book.

And sometimes I DO ask 'is anyone still reading this?' at the end of a chapter if I haven't received a review on several consecutive chapters. Since, just maybe, there isn't. And then I have to ask myself - if the story isn't worth reading anymore - should I bother to continue writing it?

After all, if we DIDN'T want some kind of feedback - why bother to publish it and open ourselves up for criticism? And even as a reader, I feel that it is my duty to leave some type of feedback. Good or bad. It shows that author that someone at least gives a damn that they spent hours writing the thing.... So you'll notice I've left some type of review on most current stories in my preferred fandom. It's a two-way street.

I don't think i could ever do that.

Make it clear that i wasn't going to add a chapter until i felt the love? My god, what if no one posted after that? I'd be devastated.

I do feel that the better received stories i write get more attention from me. As mentioned above, that feedback is what i'm online for. More comments makes it more worth my time to write the stuff. But as a contract? Yeegh.

That makes a lot of sense, Keith.

I can see someone getting away with this, not that that makes it right, in a mega-fandom like LOTR or HP, but those of us who write for tiny fandoms or who write way-out there original fiction are already grateful for every reader we can get and to hold future chapters hostage until reviews are posted just risks alienating those readers.

I agree with you all on the whole review thing. I adore reviews but I would never, ever demand reviews to update. I actually saw on someones profile last night while I was checking disclaimers, they actually had a REVIEW MATRIX. if they got 1-2 reviews, they would update in a month, 15-20 or so, 3 weeks, etc, etc...I couldn't help but to be a bit disgusted at that...but thats just me personally. I don't agree with it in the slightest to demand reviews, but whatever floats your boat. That just means I WONT be reviewing...and I usually review everything I read.

I agree with Ezriee on how I'd personally react. I know in the past, where I've seen that sort of thing I tend to not leave a review at all. UNLESS they're so whiny about the review thing they just piss me off in general. Then, I get testy. At that point, sure, I'll leave a review, but it won't be what they want, that's for damn sure.

Y'all think holding a story hostage for reviews is bad, try this on for size. A writer, not on this site, gets flamed though since I haven't seen the flame it could have just been criticism and she's thin skinned. Either way, she decided to make her stories accessible only by password, which you have to submit and get approved and she'll only approve so many. Okay, annoying but hey she's good so I can deal with that. Then I find out, she wants reviews on every story even if its in an AU that I don't like. If I don't review, I get booted and then when I do review but honestly didn't have much to say she complained, publicly about those of us who reviewed just so we wouldn't get booted. I decided that I give up, it's just not worth all of the hoop jumping when there are so many other good writers out there with a thick enough skin that they can handle it if not everybody just loves their story. So, yeah, while those who hold stories hostage for reviews(I won't read them btw) are annoying they're are ones who are even worse. LOL. I know it's not exactly on topic but I just felt the need to share. Take care,

Mouse

Y'all think holding a story hostage for reviews is bad, try this on for size. A writer, not on this site, gets flamed though since I haven't seen the flame it could have just been criticism and she's thin skinned. Either way, she decided to make her stories accessible only by password, which you have to submit and get approved and she'll only approve so many. Okay, annoying but hey she's good so I can deal with that. Then I find out, she wants reviews on every story even if its in an AU that I don't like. If I don't review, I get booted and then when I do review but honestly didn't have much to say she complained, publicly about those of us who reviewed just so we wouldn't get booted. I decided that I give up, it's just not worth all of the hoop jumping when there are so many other good writers out there with a thick enough skin that they can handle it if not everybody just loves their story. So, yeah, while those who hold stories hostage for reviews(I won't read them btw) are annoying they're are ones who are even worse. LOL. I know it's not exactly on topic but I just felt the need to share. Take care,

Mouse

Oh hell no. I'd say screw it too and find something else to read. I mean, shit, its FANFICTION. They're not Stephen King or anything like that. While there are stories that are excellent (that I'm more than happy to review), bashing or banning someone because they DON'T review...no way.

Mouse

I know the site you're talking about and what she is doing is against site rules. They are one of the sites that have rules about review whoring and it's not allowed, even if the stories are private. Report her happy butt and she will be gone

• 4 weeks later...

If there ever was poetic justice this is it! This is from the Inuyasha section right here on this site

http://inu.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600095231

demands reviews for chapters. Last chapter is not a chapter but more demands for reviews. The justice? 1 review for all the chapters and a score of 1 LMAO! gotta love it!

:rolleyes:^_^

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.