Click Here!

Too much yaoi and other stories that just really shoulden't be there?

PGadoury

I have been seaching through fanfics for a while on both fanfiction.net and AFF.net and there is so much yaoi. Now I certainly don't have a problem with yaoi or homosexuality in general but I think. 'Man I can't find any really good stories that don't have yaoi in them or they are just so badly written I want to rip my hair out. I have to sift through hundreds upon hundreds of fics before I can find one that is well written whether its yaoi or otherwise.

I don't know about anyone else out there but I really wish there were more well written stories out there regardless of wether or not there is yaoi in them. Most yaoi or yuri I have seen basicly says whoever loves whomever because they are hot. Then there is the story that every other word is either a swear or isn't even spelled right. I really wish there were more stories that were better written (definatly more Hetero) or that the relationhips could be better developed.

Im not really a writer I posted a story once and it was so bad I took it off, but I think fanfiction is not only to spit out your ideas but also to practice good creative writing and writing in general that needs to start though with trying to write well to begin with, have it betad if you have to, and try to improve while your writing.

Well thats the end of my rant I can only hope some people agree with me.

Will it be hypocritical if I say 'yes'? :D

I mean, I'm an author, I write m/m stories. And I beg to claim that my writing doesn't suck, although it surely isn't perfect and I try my best to improve.

It's a general rule in the world: high quality is something rare by definition. It relates to education, politics, writing and everything else :)

So just try to wade through tons of poor quality productions to find something that satisfy your taste :)

There's nothing more you can do ;)

Well, in archive this size, you sometimes have to look, and/or ask for recommendations.

I think Keith or Acal might be more the kind of writers you're looking for. They're BOTH good writers.

As to fic quality and such overall, if you think about what is seen as the purpose of this archive by the person who owns it, and those of us who help run it, then you'll understand why QC is not something we necessarily do. Jaxxy, for example, strongly believes in having an area to have an outlet for not only creativity, but being able to express that while LEARNING, and in an adult community. By that, (adult community) I'm referring to a community of people who are 18 or over. Not necessarily their story content. I completely agree with her on that.

See, I can't write for beans either. But, that doesn't mean that I should, or WOULD discourage someone else from giving it a try. It takes GUTS to put your work out there for others to have a look at, and in many for instances, tear it apart. And yet, still be able to come back the next day and do it AGAIN.

Im certainly not trying to insult people who write MM fics or arn't the best writers out there. I happen to be a grade 'C' writer. However I think some people mignt agree that when you read a story where there is no good grammer and spelling. This also includes writing a naruto fic or whichever fandom you choose and spelling the characters names wrong 'naruto' as 'Natuto' or 'tsunade' as 'sunate' I really have seen this before, or a sentence that is obviosly a not a scentence under any stretch of the imagination. There is a spell and grammer check that usually comes with the writing program. I just think that if the writing is that bad chances are the author didn't but much effort into the story besides getting the idea out there. Which when its that bad its really hard to understand the idea. To reply to the the quote

'It takes guts to post fanfiction that everyone can critique' I agree I would just think that if you were trying to get everyones oppinion on your work. You would try your best to make the ideas come out and that you would try to make them as clear as possible. These are your ideas and there is nothing wrong with writing a lot to make your idea clear. Thats all Im saying.

As far as archive size is concerned. I realize that everyone has an idea and you have to search for the one that interests you. Sometimes it's just a little frustrating when you look around and there arn't many fics in an archive or fandom that you like and all the good stories don't seem to fit your genre.

Edited by Pete91888

Well, in archive this size, you sometimes have to look, and/or ask for recommendations.

I think Keith or Acal might be more the kind of writers you're looking for. They're BOTH good writers.

As to fic quality and such overall, if you think about what is seen as the purpose of this archive by the person who owns it, and those of us who help run it, then you'll understand why QC is not something we necessarily do. Jaxxy, for example, strongly believes in having an area to have an outlet for not only creativity, but being able to express that while LEARNING, and in an adult community. By that, (adult community) I'm referring to a community of people who are 18 or over. Not necessarily their story content. I completely agree with her on that.

See, I can't write for beans either. But, that doesn't mean that I should, or WOULD discourage someone else from giving it a try. It takes GUTS to put your work out there for others to have a look at, and in many for instances, tear it apart. And yet, still be able to come back the next day and do it AGAIN.

Hey, what about my stories? Geeze, a guy couldn't get any love around here. Ok, might help if I ever finished more than one of them...

Seriously, it's mostly digging. Stay away from the major fandoms, and you actually tend to see different patterns. The original sections, for example, tend to have more rape/incest/bondage in their fics than something like the Harry Potter section, whose authors have a firm belief that the only thing better than than the Weasly twins enjoying a randy bout of twincest is Harry and Lucius, or Harry and Draco, or Harry and Draco and Lucius, having a horribly torrid and dramatic romance of epic proportions that dwarfs even the scope of the original author's creation.

As a writer and reader, my suggestions are to look at the tags and read the reviews. If people are asking questions about the characters as often as they demand more, its probably a good story. And searching for tags is a good way to sort through what you want in a specific area.

LOL foe....

Was using them as examples, because I've actually read something they've each written. I've heard good stuff about your stories as well. One of these years, when I have time to get back to my reading, I'd like to check your stories out as well.

Hey, what about me too?! Especially the Market Comodity story... The other authors and I did at least half M/F stuff.

What I've found here, is that MOST readers review for the M/M stuff - but not for the M/F stuff. Go figure.. If you want more of a certain type written, leave a REVIEW and tell the author how much you enjoyed it and WHY! If we only get rave reviews on slash, then it makes sense that we'll end up writing more of it.

M/M, M/F, F/F, or mixed orgies... Hell, I like writing them all! Although I've got more M/F smex published on my FF account than on here... Well, just have more total on there than here. But I've been on there longer - so I'll eventually catch up!

LOL foe....

Was using them as examples, because I've actually read something they've each written. I've heard good stuff about your stories as well. One of these years, when I have time to get back to my reading, I'd like to check your stories out as well.

Hahahaha, I must say, I have no idea how far reached my stories have become... I mean, I know I did decent reviews/hits (something like 200+ reviews over 70+ chapters, plus at least 60,000 hits) but it's a rather plain highschool cheerleaders/geeks fic on a site where the average author expects Harry to get cornholed by Dobby. I don't I think I've even really done anything kinky, outside of Return of...

• 5 months later...
I have been seaching through fanfics for a while on both fanfiction.net and AFF.net and there is so much yaoi. Now I certainly don't have a problem with yaoi or homosexuality in general but I think. 'Man I can't find any really good stories that don't have yaoi in them or they are just so badly written I want to rip my hair out. I have to sift through hundreds upon hundreds of fics before I can find one that is well written whether its yaoi or otherwise.

I don't know about anyone else out there but I really wish there were more well written stories out there regardless of wether or not there is yaoi in them. Most yaoi or yuri I have seen basicly says whoever loves whomever because they are hot. Then there is the story that every other word is either a swear or isn't even spelled right. I really wish there were more stories that were better written (definatly more Hetero) or that the relationhips could be better developed.

Im not really a writer I posted a story once and it was so bad I took it off, but I think fanfiction is not only to spit out your ideas but also to practice good creative writing and writing in general that needs to start though with trying to write well to begin with, have it betad if you have to, and try to improve while your writing.

Well thats the end of my rant I can only hope some people agree with me.

Personally I like yaoi/slash, but I get where you're coming from completely. It's been driving me a bit nuts recently that I'm finding it harder and harder to find a story written by an author who's putting some effort into writing a quality story or one that isn't just smut, well-written or not. Personally there's only so many times and ways you can read some character getting screwed, I would like to read a nice quality story. And spelling/grammar is my biggest pet-peeve. How hard is it to use spell-check. Half of the mistakes I see would be taken care of by that, and even then you can get a beta. But I'm finding more and more there are a ton of authors who out and out REFUSE to get a beta. The post crap like, "Yeah I know my spelling sucks. It's not going to change, deal with it". There was one who said she refused to get a beta because she had low self-esteem issues and refused to accept any correcting her mistakes. What the hell? That's the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. Oh and let's not forget the 'authors' who don't even spell that characters names properly. If I read one more story where they call Tsunade Tsuande or UzUmaki Naruto UzAmaki Naruto, I'm going to go off.

I had an issue with an author recently who'd written the stupidest damn story I think I've read in all my time in fandom. I have a pretty high level of pure morbid curiosity and often I'll keep reading just to see how badly the author can slaughter a story, but this was actually a story that I could not finish. I haven't had that happen to me in awhile. It was the most unrealistic, absurd steaming pile of horse crap (example: Harry adopts Dobby as his son and has him calling him Daddy) I'd pretty much ever read. All made worse by the fact that the author is 32. I'm sorry, but I think once a person is that age, they should stop writing like they're pre-pubescent, retarded teenage girls. I left a review about the complete and total lack of realism and she responds that it's fiction and she can do whatever she wants. Unfortunately that wasn't the first time I'd heard that crap. I think people think the fiction gives them license to do whatever the hell they want with no regards for realism, logic, canon, or anything. I know a lot of people say, if you don't like it don't read, but I truly feel that these morons who are allowed to post their garbage all over the place are creating a really bad impression of what fanfiction is and will ultimately lead to it's end.

• 3 months later...

I'm necroing a post ... sue me XD

I agree there is way way way ... WAY .... WAY too damn much yaoi out there. I'm so sick of it too.

I mean don't get me wrong I have no disrespect for the style of writing but you go looking through stories around here on AFF and unless its got a m/m tag on it. It has no views, ratings, or votes what so ever.

My current story which mind you I feel is a damn good one. I love the one I'm writing right now ... is F/F. That being in direct contras to what seems to be the favored thing here it's only gotten 100+ hits in over a week with 4 chapters updated so far. 3 votes and no reviews.

An author that shall remain nameless put out a M/M of malfoy butt raping harry, it looks like it was written by a 12 year old and within one day it had 500 hits and like 10+ reviews and a 5 star vote average of about 200 votes, and it was one chapter ...

I read the thing it was horrible, spelling errors everywhere, run on sentences ... clustered paragraph and poor character interaction ... ugh!!

Can you tell I'm feeling a bit moody over the situation?

If you're gonna be a rabbit fan girl/boy, at least be one with taste ...

• 3 months later...

I get pretty frustrated, too, because sometimes I'll an author who writes really well--except his/her story isn't in a fandom I like or am familiar with. And then with fandoms I actually really like I have to wade through a some poorly-written stories. Still, I've found a fair number of great authors even in popular fandoms--I go through all their work and check out anyone they recommend. I'll only browse for other fics when I've finished reading one author's stuff (or if that author doesn't update regularly).

To those who are dissatisfied with the amount of Yaoi that resides here in AFF.net, you do have the option to move on to another story. The thing is, this site is for ALL ypes of writers. When ever I find something that does not interest me, I move on and find something that DOES. It's that simple. I myself am not the greatest writer, but I think I would feel disheartened if I was told that there is too much of what I write. Yes, there seems to be a ton of Yaoi. Maybe thats because those writers happen to like Yaoi. You know what, I like some myself. I also notice that there seems to be a glut of Harry Potter stuff. Now, I do not really care for HP, and I would, for the most part, choose to avoid those stories. But I am glad that they are here. Each story is a product of someone using their imagination, and putting it to words. Thats something too few people get the curage gathered up to even attempt.

To those who wish to complain about bad grammer, spelling, ect., have you considered offering to Beta their writings. If you were to do that, it would put yourself in a position of opportuinity to help them become better writers. Instead of complaining about the problem, I would rather become part of the solution, and the best solutions seem to be stepping up to the plate and help someone learn to better themselves.

Just my $.02

I like to go for crack pairings, myself. It's not about "OMG HOTTTTT!" so much as seeing if I could build a story (and some heat!) between two characters.

One of my favorite crack pairings is Optimus and Mikaela from the live action Transformers movies. Something about them just clicks in my head. It's not easy for them to realize flesh and metal shouldn't matter when the love is what's the most real.

To those who wish to complain about bad grammer, spelling, ect., have you considered offering to Beta their writings. If you were to do that, it would put yourself in a position of opportuinity to help them become better writers. Instead of complaining about the problem, I would rather become part of the solution, and the best solutions seem to be stepping up to the plate and help someone learn to better themselves.

You say that like it's easy. I've beta'd for several stories and I can tell you it's not easy, especially when an author decides to send you 60 pages worth of story and wants it back in a couple of days. Beta'ing is completely voluntary and we get nothing out of it. Until December I was a full time college student and not too long before that I had a job as well. During some points I didn't have the time or the energy to beta anything, much less a story that honestly needs a lot of work. Not even thinking about the authors who outright refuse to get betas.

It's pretty absurd to imply that a person shouldn't comment on poor grammar, spelling, etc just because they don't have the time or even the inclination to be a beta.

I never said it was easy, but I do do it. Even when I have a schedule that has already too many things jammed into it, I make the time. As I stated, I prefer to take a positive active role than to sit back and bitch about it. Bitching gets you no where while getting the job accomplished gives me the satisfaction of accomplishment, or, in the event they do not listen or try to learn, then at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I made the effort, and I then move on to another who might be receptive to my offer.

• 3 weeks later...
I never said it was easy, but I do do it. Even when I have a schedule that has already too many things jammed into it, I make the time. As I stated, I prefer to take a positive active role than to sit back and bitch about it. Bitching gets you no where while getting the job accomplished gives me the satisfaction of accomplishment, or, in the event they do not listen or try to learn, then at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I made the effort, and I then move on to another who might be receptive to my offer.

I'm sorry, but if you have the time to correct every story that has grammar/spelling issues, then you aren't as busy as you're trying to make yourself out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

whoa. Cool. How'd i miss this?

Thanx a lot!

Personally, i don't do M/M. I am more than a little homophobic, in that the very thought scrottles my nurd. I just don't think my feelings should be legislated against others.

But you don't HAVE to do M/M for hits. One of my stories has reached Hits [35797] as of time now. I'm not sure what draws the initial readers, the bestiality, the zoophilia, the xenophilia, or what, but they seem to stay and come back regularly.

I do agree, you could probably post a shopping list, then put PWP, INCEST, ANAL on the description, and get 4000 hits by the weekend.

(and probably four reviews lauding the use of three kinds of soap..."KInky, i liek it!")

I'm sorry, but if you have the time to correct every story that has grammar/spelling issues, then you aren't as busy as you're trying to make yourself out to be.

Just the ones that mean something to me. It's called prioritizing. If a story has enough potential, or if the author is smart enough to ask for a reader, then I help.

And you do not know jack shit on what goes on in my life, just as I do not know what goes on in yours, but if I can find the time, then you can as well.

Just the ones that mean something to me. It's called prioritizing. If a story has enough potential, or if the author is smart enough to ask for a reader, then I help.

And you do not know jack shit on what goes on in my life, just as I do not know what goes on in yours, but if I can find the time, then you can as well.

No I don't know what's going on in your life, but your comment implied that if you don't take the time out to help every single author who's got major grammar and spelling issues then you should never complain. Honestly, you're contradicting yourself now. I don't care who it is, but no one has that amount of time. There are too many stories, too many that have serious issues for any one person to help them all (not even accounting for, as you said yourself, those authors who refuse any and all criticism). It's ridiculous to act like a person should never say anything about something that is a serious issue in fanfiction.

No I don't know what's going on in your life, but your comment implied that if you don't take the time out to help every single author who's got major grammar and spelling issues then you should never complain. Honestly, you're contradicting yourself now. I don't care who it is, but no one has that amount of time. There are too many stories, too many that have serious issues for any one person to help them all (not even accounting for, as you said yourself, those authors who refuse any and all criticism). It's ridiculous to act like a person should never say anything about something that is a serious issue in fanfiction.

What I refer to is that if you think there is something wrong, about something that you care about, then offer to help. If you "care about something but do not do anything to try to help, what good is the complaining?

I myself will edit those stories I feel I care enough about to help out with. If I see something that I feel is messed up, but I do not care for it in such a way to want to see it better, then I shall not do so. I therefor, do not have any right to bitch about any perceived errors that I may see in those said stories.

If you do not like something, is bitching about it going to make any difference about it? All it does is make people perceive you as someone who is going to whine.

I myself have tried to motivate you into taking positive action. I was unsucessful. I could choose to bitch about your decision, but I choose instead to wash my hands of this, knowing that at least I made the attempt.

For me, the discussion has come to a close. I do wish you luck in whatever you may choose to do.

What I refer to is that if you think there is something wrong, about something that you care about, then offer to help. If you "care about something but do not do anything to try to help, what good is the complaining?

I myself will edit those stories I feel I care enough about to help out with. If I see something that I feel is messed up, but I do not care for it in such a way to want to see it better, then I shall not do so. I therefor, do not have any right to bitch about any perceived errors that I may see in those said stories.

If you do not like something, is bitching about it going to make any difference about it? All it does is make people perceive you as someone who is going to whine.

I myself have tried to motivate you into taking positive action. I was unsucessful. I could choose to bitch about your decision, but I choose instead to wash my hands of this, knowing that at least I made the attempt.

For me, the discussion has come to a close. I do wish you luck in whatever you may choose to do.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that I do nothing. I've beta'd stories for several people, which I believe I mentioned before. But I still think you're being ridiculous. But if it pleases you to feel above everyone else because you don't 'bitch', fine.

First, before I reply to the main post as a whole...let me say this: I'm a fan of Yaoi.

That's it. Bottom line. I'm a fan of it and I'm sure that this fact will never change. Now after saying that...let me also say this: I'm kinda sick of seeing badly written fiction, whether it be Yaoi or not.

I mean, please do not misunderstand. I have nothing against author's of before mentioned fictions. But just seeing them..and having to stumble through a brutal attack of incorrectly spelled words, and badly formed grammar kinda leaves a girl feeling...down. Maybe its the fact that they do not speak English as their main language, or maybe they lack a Beta to fix things like that, or even more they could just be starting out and getting into writing. Though I can understand the reasons...I still can not deny that those things bother me.

But...enough of that. I'm going into a rant of my own and I have not even touched the main point of this post. I must be either too tired or lacking in manners to have people slag through a boring and possibly redundant spiel like this. I really must apologize, its quite early in the morning and at the crack of dawn my mind tends to ramble.

My point is this: Though I do have these problems with stories....I give my review in the hopes that they will improve and then I continue into another story. Writing...writing is not that much of a problem for me. But because of my laden sense of procrastination I tend to either not finish what I've started...or just not start at all. A sad fact that I'm well acquainted with. So because of this...I move on into my other passion: Reading.

I enjoy reading...no...I LOVE reading. I love watching characters develop, I love imagining the scenery that the author paints into your mind, I love watching the reactions and the drama. And its because of all those reasons...that I continue to search the archives for a great read. Fan fiction and Fiction alike. What I'm saying is...

Though it does get tiring to go through all the fictions and go through hundreds or more of pages just to get a good story. Is it not the perfect reward in the end? Is it not a great relief to say, 'This story is amazing'. And want more? Ah, its probably just me. Anyway I better end this post quickly and to the point. As said before its very early in the morning and I fear that its having a strange effect in me. I seem to be waxing poetic...

-Kisses

Edited by Toxic_Kisses

Too much Yaoi?

No. I come here mainly for that anyway.

If anything, there's too much Harry Bloody Potter :(

Not enough well written stories?

Maybe, I don't know. I don't read that much on here 'cos I only read specific stuff, like something about a cartoon or show I don't know or even know exists, I won't read, which is a lot of the stories here. But after finding a good well-written story, it can make sieving through crap worth it.

They make us work for a good read.

:D

• 2 months later...

I agree that it would be nice if there was a larger selection of good het and yuri/femslash fiction out there but this is a sort of revolution. Guys like girl on girl action for their pleasure and now, women are enjoying that same thing in reverse. I think that yaoi is such a big rave now because it was "forbidden fruit" before. I've learned that gay men and straight women don't necessarily enjoy the same kind of male on male action. I've been told my sex scenes are too tame by gay men and I've been told they are too dirty by straight women. I've watched and read porn designed for gay men and found most of it not to my liking.

I don't know if the original poster is male or female but it can be hard to balance a fiction for an audience, when one half wants it raunchy and raw and the other half wants it pretty and sweet.

My suggestion is to find an author you think can provide a good range and contact them. Request the sort of fiction you would like to read and explain the style you're looking for. Maybe the key to finding the best fanfiction is to explain what you want, with enough detail to help the writer. Think of it as commissioning or requesting a piece of art; you have to give them a visual to work with.