Click Here!

My friend's in a coma.

DarkInuLord

The husband of a person I'm good friends with has been in a coma for a little under 48 hours now. He collapsed while her and I were talking, and she hasn't left the hospital since.

The neurologist said something about the nerves in his brain that control motor functions and something else burnt out, and he has about a 50/50 chance to come out of it.

Aint life grand?

Don't lose faith. So many times the 'experts' are wrong. 1 1/2 years ago my mother's heart 'collapsed' in on itself during an office procedure. (long story, a drug interaction that IS documented as doing this periodically)

She was rushed across the street to the hospital. In a coma for five days. Heart regained strength but we were told that she was a total vegetable, almost brain dead. They expected her to die when they brought her out of sedation and took her off life support. So, we were already calling the funeral home and making arrangements.

Well, damned if the experts weren't totally wrong! She couldn't really talk when they pulled the feeding tube from her throat, but she could nod and shake her head. Within a WEEK - she was walking, talking and demanding KFC!! Within six weeks, she was ok'd to drive and work.

Heart? - 99% returned to normal.

Mind? - well, she's a bit flaky now. But no more so than most women her age. I'd call it 95% returned to normal.

Needless to say, my mother now HATES doctors (since it was their mistake which almost killed her).... and will NOT even go for a checkup! She's onery and opinionated.. Yep, good old mom!

So tell your friend not to give up.... Statistically, neurologists are wrong almost 20% of the time.

Oh, forgot to mention one of my coworker's adult daughters OD'd last fall. Once again, the family was told to plan the funeral. Almost two weeks later she came out of the coma. I think she is still in rehab - but more for what it did to her body than her mind. From what her father told me, she's just as obnoxious and bitchy as she was before she OD'd...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I agree that I am glad he woke from his coma because I have been through a comatose state myself. I have been seeing a neurologist for the last year and half because of black spaces in my memory due to being through 3 severe bouts of depression in the last 5 years or so. The neurologist told me and my mother the blank spaces were most likely memories I once had of the particular event but became blackened due to the over-usage of headache medicine I took during this time without consideration of the effects to my memory.

He was correct on this and it was documented as proven so, however, about 2 weeks into cognitive therapy to try to undo the damage and re-learn of my memories I started about almost 1 year ago now; I blanked out and my eyes were said to have rolled into the back of my head. They had thought I had a seizure of some sort, but when I did not wake for the next week while hospitalized at the nearest hospital to the therapy clinic afterwards...they knew I had went into a coma for some reason. I spent the next 8 months in a comatose state, and the doctors told my parents it was unlikely I'd wake now, and that if I woke up that I was likely to be in a vegetative state for the rest of my because of the severe damage done to the nerves in my brain from the aspirin in the headache medicines I once used as a release from pain caused me.

I am now nearly 24 years old and prospering since I attend a university with a GPA of 3.87 on average, and I am perfectly healthy in mentality as I can be after the episode I had with the coma and depression that may have been part of the cause to it. The neurologists don't understand this at all or why I am as functional as I am regularly, but they do know in some ways I was blessed to be as mentally functional as I am daily since many never recover from the damage in the nerves I have and to be this way. Neurology is a hard science that relies on numbers, tests, experimentation, research and more; so a coma is one thing that can stump them if they find no true cause for it or a reasonable explanation for it to occur in a patient, as mine was never truly proven to be instigated by a overdose of aspirin at all or my depression itself.