Click Here!

Beta Services Open

animefreakandgeek

I am user animefreakandgeek. My name is Sarah Jo, and I wish to apply as an official beta. I have not been active on the boards but I have been on the site for a while now and would be interested in being a Beta here. I am interested in being a Beta for Yaoi or Het stories

• How many years have you worked as a beta? What are your qualifications?

I've been a Beta for several years off and on different places. I have also edited many stories IRL and also was the editor of a Published book. I am a college student majoring in English, Journalism, and Communications. I have worked for over three years as an English tutor and my main focus has been on grammar, development, descriptions, and characters.

• In which capacities have you served as a beta?

grammar, diction, style, word choice, descriptions, characterization, emotional impact, cannon, original charcter development, and more

• Which types of potentially objectionable content have you beta'd for?

Yaoi, shonen-ai, angst,

• Is there any type of work you haven't beta'd for but are willing to accept?

I am open to anything really other than hard core yaoi, rape, pedi, mpreg and anything but mild bondage. Other than that Im game :samurai:

• Are there any specific areas in which you would not be willing to beta?

Basicaly just what I said above- there are bound to be exceptions so I can talk that over when we start

• What are your personal boundaries as a beta?
    Just respect me. My ideas are just that-ideas. I am not perfect but no one is. If we can agree to repsect each other's opinions then we are good to go!
  • What are your weaknesses when it comes to beta work?

I guess it would be fics that follow stories/anime/whatever that I do not know or am not familiar with

• How do you tend to interact with an author when doing beta work?

I prefer email as the means of contact. I will copy the story into Word and send it back to the author once it is finished. I make my corrections directly on the document- usualy in bold or color coded depending if I'm looking at grammar, content, or a flow issue, ect.

I am of course open to whatever method works best for the author I am working with

I believe in constructive criticism and being supportive.

• Can you determine an average speed when it comes to performing beta work?

If i can have a few hours to sit and read I can finish a few thousand words in an hour or so I would guess- depends on the subject matter, the style, and what I am looking for- grammar takes less time usualy than content, development, and characterization :D

• What Fandoms are you most familiar with? What characters/pairings/ect do you prefer?

Anime mostly: Bleach(almost anyone- there are few exceptions), Death Note(again pretty much anyone), Wild Adapter(all), Saiyuki(all), Legal Drug(all), Angel Sanctuary(all), Trinity Blood(pretty much all), Trigun(all), and a few others that I know a little about but these are my main ones

Books: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Anne Rice Vampire series,

Video Games: Saddly I am very new to this area- so I am limited to Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

I am also open to original stories as well :D

Talk to me if you have a story other than these and I will see what I can do!

• Do you have any quirks when it comes to beta work?

I am an English major and it has been my career for over 5 years. There some ascepts in writing that drive me crazy- but I try to approach it in a gentle constructive way. I will not tear down an author and will do my best to explaine to them the changes I suggest and why I think that way.

Edited by animefreakandgeek

Guest Luinil_Telcontar

Hi. I have an original story I would like betaed. I'm looking for everything in a beta you mentioned, and your qualifications are amazing.

It's a sort of horror/thriller story, sort of like The Ring in a way. It will be multi-chaptered and I promise to not hand you a pile of crap. I actually do edit as much as I can before dumping it onto a poor beta, so hopefully it won't be clogging hours and hours of your time.

If you want any more information, I suppose just PM or reply here!

Thanks so much for your time, and even if mine isn't your cup of tea, good luck with another!

Happy New Year.

Samara

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.