Click Here!

What is our purpose anyway?

Guest auntbecky

Guest auntbecky

I thought the whole point of this site was as a free speech refuge after the nazi's at ff.net tried to ban adult content. Now i see the admins are trying to do the same here by refusing to post oc links. Why? Because of coding problems? If thats so then why not eliminate any categories that have say five or less postings. That would save you much space and would not alienate so many readers like you have. I'd really hate to see this site go down but that is what is going to happen with your new attitude.

I'm going to address this one LAST time, and then I'm locking this topic.

1. The recategorization and then the follow up cleanup task is critical for the overall health of the database. We were teetering towards a severe crash, which would've meant corruption of the data that may have been salvageable, or total loss. Up until I finished this FIRST step of this (and there is more to come), I was running repair utilities on the archive database at least FOUR times a day, every day. All in an effort to keep it somewhat stable, so it would not crash. That's something I've been doing with it for months now. The first step of this overall overhaul, has actually stablilized things enough to where now I'm only having to run those repair utilities once a day. That's an improvement.

2. The code is archaic and beyond much more repairs than have already been done to it. It limits us severely in what we can do as far as levels of subcategories. There are only THREE levels I have to work with. The program itself is in the process of being rewritten. By doing what I (and others who are helping me) are doing to actually clean things up and get things moved around and such, it makes it more organized for when that software is finished and uploaded. At that point, I'll have the ability to work with unlimited levels of subcategories. That will make it so I can do more, and add more sorts of category types as sublevels.

3. We (my group of volunteers and I) are working sequentially, subdomain by subdomain. When we get to the subdomain you're referencing, it'll be cleaned up and set up according to specific subsets we have set up, such as, for pair specific categories, they have to have 10 or more stories to have their own subcategoy. So, the small ones will end up history, and there will be some further rearranging once we GET there.

The ORDER we are doing this is as follows:

Books

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Cartoons

Celebrity

Comics

Harry Potter

Lord of the Rings

Movies

Non English

Originals

Television

X-Men

Anime

Anime 2 (Gundam, Beyblade, etc)

Bleach

Final Fantasy

Games

InuYasha

Naruto

YuGiOh

YuYu Hakusho

4. The tasks involved in the overall cleanup include the following (in part):

a. Repairing glitches to chapter data, from 1 major and 2 minor database crashes, occurred in 2003, 2005, 2006, after they have been found and posted.

b. finding and deleting troll, flame, spam, and duplicate posts to each story's review boards.

c. finding and merging duplicate stories

d. finding and deleting spamfics

e. finding and deleting trollfics

f. finding and merging duplicate users

g. finding and moving fiction that is in the wrong subdomain entirely

As to the "oc links", have you tried searching the summary for your character choice x OC? That'll bring up the stories.